EPL '16/'17

Blueboy

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ctpjoet said:
Blueboy":3ctpjoet said:
Palace won a game, even moved out of the bottom 3........for now anyway. :irishdrinkers:

Heard sahko played well... still struggle with why he was phased out by Klopp. He's much better than Lovren

Yeah played really well, organised the back 4 and it made a huge difference. Hope he carries that sort of form on.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Blueboy":yb8wqfqd said:
Uncle Si":yb8wqfqd said:
Blueboy":yb8wqfqd said:
Palace won a game, even moved out of the bottom 3........for now anyway. :irishdrinkers:

Heard sahko played well... still struggle with why he was phased out by Klopp. He's much better than Lovren

Yeah played really well, organised the back 4 and it made a huge difference. Hope he carries that sort of form on.

Ive watched him play some of the best CB possible (Euro league quarters against United) and worst (2nd leg Euro semis vs. Dortmund) with Liverpool, and everything in between. But with the right partner I think he's brilliant.

He just went astray of Klopp and ran his options out. Too bad, I'm sure Klopp has a longer leash than most, so whatever happened there (a series of really poor, immature decisions) must have just pushed the manager over the edge.

Would love to see him play well so Liverpool can recoup a good fee for him.

sdog1981

Reaction score
You think Chelsea can with the double? With no Europen Football I think they have the squad depth to do it this season.

Blueboy

Reaction score
Palace win again, Sahko looks a real rock at the back, plus Luka Milivojević sitting infront of the back 4 playing with real confidence. Things looking much more positive.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Blueboy":2su107qp said:
Palace win again, Sahko looks a real rock at the back, plus Luka Milivojević sitting infront of the back 4 playing with real confidence. Things looking much more positive.

25 million and he's Palace blue permanently in the Summer. Shame too as he with Matip would've been good for 4-6 extra points thus far for Liverpool

Blueboy

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1imtseaz said:
Blueboy":1imtseaz said:

25 million and he's Palace blue permanently in the Summer. Shame too as he with Matip would've been good for 4-6 extra points thus far for Liverpool

From what i read on the Palace forum we tried to sign him permanently in January but couldn't get it done so it ended up just being a loan. I think he will probably end up at a bigger, better team than Palace.

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
Blueboy":13ufc288 said:

Congrats on the win, you guys earned it. My Baggies were crap today.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2jyrdnyz said:
Is that it for Wenger?

It has to be, right? How many more lives can he have? Arsenal is at risk of becoming the 3rd team in London behind Chelsea and Tottenham.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
sdog1981":33h2toph said:
Uncle Si":33h2toph said:
Is that it for Wenger?

It has to be, right? How many more lives can he have? Arsenal is at risk of becoming the 3rd team in London behind Chelsea and Tottenham.

PSG job may be open...

That was just... well... amazing

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Barcelona got a lot of help. Lesson learned: flop and flop some more until the ref gives you a penalty.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1suov3to said:
Barcelona got a lot of help. Lesson learned: flop and flop some more until the ref gives you a penalty.

They scored 6 goals and only Suarez' penalty was questionable.

knownone

Reaction score
Aside from the obvious 4th place standing, how has Klopp done transitioning into the EPL?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
knownone":2ndaiy1o said:
Aside from the obvious 4th place standing, how has Klopp done transitioning into the EPL?

Klopp is indicative of what I am realizing about all of these big name managers...

He is a breath of fresh air to the PL, as is Conte and Pep. All have certain ideas of how the game is to be played, bring a successful pedigree, persona and character to their teams.

But, none of them are flexible, and this is where Klopps "gegenpressing" has been inconsistent. Liverpool have not lost a game to a team in the top 6, yet have losses to Bournemouth, Swansea, Leicester, Hull and Burnley as well as a draw to Sunderland. When they are playing a talented side who want to play possession style, Liverpool quite literally run teams over.

When forced to possess and build up (shockingly, Liverpool have more possession than any team in the PL this year) against teams more than willing to sit in and hit them on the counter, they struggle to both defend long balls and break down defenses.

I think much of this attributed to not having a deep (and talented) enough squad to initiate "Plan B." The back line is nimble and can generate defending into attack with ease.. yet they struggle with pacey target players (like Vardy). The midfield is a high energy mix of counter oriented players, yet can't really create good scoring chances against banks of 4.

How much of this is Klopp? He clearly does not want to change his style for the opponent, which is stubborn. They do not layer their attack against teams stuck in and make no amends to being countered with long balls (would leaving one outside back with the two CBs against Vardy have killed Liverpool's attack?)

But he did not really go about adding players to help against the likes of the bottom tier. The system and attitude are in place, now he needs the players. I like that he didn't just bounce out players like Can, Lallana, Henderson, Milner and has instead given them a year to show their worth. That may be a sacrifice to Top 4 this year, but it says something about the coach as well.

I think Klopp will assert himself and Liverpool as one of the top 3 teams in the PL the next two years. There will be a significant addition or two to all facets of the team this summer (i'd say two new starters on D, 1-2 in mid and 2-3 big name additions to the attack... hoping one is young Pulisic). Once the team he wants is officially put together, it will be interesting to see him manage the different game plans set out against Liverpool. I think we will see far less points dropped to the lower teams.

Last thing... he's fantastic on the sidelines, as is Conte and Pep. I'm hoping Simeone is not too far behind coming to the PL. Love the passion on the sidelines. I think at times the PL takes itself far too seriously. These guys have a greater appreciation for the game as a whole then some of their predecessors and are a nice balance to managers like Pulis, Allardyce, etc. that are lining up to frustrate their high powered teams.

Blueboy

Reaction score
DYLcurry59":2wk3y9ee said:
Blueboy":2wk3y9ee said:

Congrats on the win, you guys earned it. My Baggies were crap today.

It was better for beating Pulis after the way he walked out on Palace a few years ago.

I was surprised at how poor WBA played, normally a very well drilled team with players who do the jobs they're supposed to.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Who would have thought the baggies would be the biggest club in the midlands?

Also FA cup semis all set up.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sahko effect?

4 games. 4 wins. 1 goal conceded.

Blueboy

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1xyt5e5s said:
Sahko effect?

4 games. 4 wins. 1 goal conceded.

For sure, add that to the signing of Milivojevic and that is pretty much what has changed our season. Still need a few more points but things looking far better than they did.