Eric Winston

Jville

Reaction score
Davis Hsu just pointed out the leadership angle that accompanies the three post June 1st signings ......
Kevin Williams, Terrell Thomas, Eric Winston, all older- all signed after June 1st (smart) -all good value. Leader types too.

Barthawk

Reaction score
drdiags":20gx8hgm said:
Makes it seem that the Bowie injury is worse than they think. Nothing wrong with getting some insurance in the house because even though the early reports on Britt are encouraging, he still is a rookie.

I hope the OL plays better than they did last year. So continues the roster churn. Thomas yesterday and Winston today.

Exactly what I was thinking.. I don't think they are concerned about RT play 3 days into TC. This is done to alleviate the amount of reps that Britt is taking w/ Bowie on the mend..

Hawks46

Reaction score
Looking at PFF's grades on Winston , he was a damn good run blocker up until last year. I don't know if they did something schematically, he was injured a bit, or the rest of the OL woes in AZ caught up to Winston, but last season's performance seems to be an abberation more than the norm. We've seen it on our OL where a guy gets hurt and the replacement ends up making the guys next to him look bad as well.

I have no idea how this guy pass blocks, but the nice thing is that he is familiar with the competition and personnel inside the division. He knows Long as he's blocked him a lot. He knows Cambell as he's played against him every day in practice for years.

Bowie reportedly showed up to OTA's out of shape. Now he's hurt, which shows he probably still wasn't in good shape. Cable had previously mentioned that he felt Bowie didn't fully understand the depth of the competition at RT this year; coupled with coming in out of shape, it seems Bowie thought the job was his to lose.

I doubt they paid a lot for Winston, but he's a solid Vet and this was most likely a good pickup, even if it just upgrades depth or pushes Britt to get better.

King Dog

Reaction score
I love this signing. I'm not going to lie, I'm nervous about Britt starting right out of the gate against nasty NFC West defenses. I'm glad we now have a guy on the roster that has proven he can play RT in the NFL and is durable.

The consensus of off-season Cardinal threads is that the fans wanted him back. I would have never said that about McQuistan this off-season :)

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Yeah, what this tells me is that they aren't confident in Michael Bowie (with his injury) providing adequate competition moving forward. And out of any positional battle they kind of sold that one the most.

I like this signing though, Winston doesn't have to be a starter to make impact. He can lead by example and help mentor Justin Britt an a highly experienced veteran while pushing the threshold of competition back to where they wanted it.

Also depth is depth, and experience is experience, Winston's presence can help Sweezy as well as the DE especially the young ones.

Good signing.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Winston was a guy that a lot of people here had on their "we should sign this guy" lists back when he became a free agent after his time with the Texans. He's got a lot of talent, hopefully he has some left in the tank. He'll be a tough guy to beat out, so this is great competition for the young guys. If nothing else, he would be great depth.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
King Dog":30d8qt9z said:
I love this signing. I'm not going to lie, I'm nervous about Britt starting right out of the gate against nasty NFC West defenses. I'm glad we now have a guy on the roster that has proven he can play RT in the NFL and is durable.

The consensus of off-season Cardinal threads is that the fans wanted him back. I would have never said that about McQuistan this off-season :)

Isn't 5 of our last 8 games against our NFC West rivals?

King Dog

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":12k7skya said:
King Dog":12k7skya said:

Isn't 5 of our last 8 games against our NFC West rivals?

Good point. I'm still worried about him starting though. I feel better now that we have a healthy, proven NFL player in the mix at that position.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Bowie is in danger of losing his spot on the 53 man roster, not just a starting spot, if he doesn't improve his conditioning (and perhaps his attitude? When Seahawk coaches start calling out specific players in the media, that's usually a message that an attitude adjustment is in order) soon. The Hawks now have lots of backup guard and tackle options they can choose ahead of Bowie. Bowie was only a 7th round pick, so that Hawks don't have a lot of draft stock invested in him and won't hesitate to cut him.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2hs9qxs7 said:
Winston has been nothing short of terrible the past two years. He's a turnstile. Quality depth my eye.

It means if Britt goes down we are back to the right side of our line being blown up every freaking game.

What do you think of him, though?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This was a necessary signing, we can't go into preseason games with Bowie dinged up and an unproven rookie taking all the snaps at RT.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":3clmwrgt said:
Pete refereed to Bowie as "Wally Pipp" -- you know, the guy that got replaced by Lou and nobody ever heard of again.

That was damning.

Winston has been nothing short of terrible the past two years. He's a turnstile. Quality depth my eye.

It means if Britt goes down we are back to the right side of our line being blown up every freaking game.

Really? We're that confident on Britt starting?

I've been waiting for this signing, initial reports on Britt haven't been great. He should get the benefit of the doubt until we see him in preseason but it won't surprise me if he doesn't cut it yet, he looked every bit a day three draft pick.

Think Winston is a solid if unspectacular pick up, could have been a lot worse.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
oasis":3bda920g said:
EverydayImRusselin":3bda920g said:
Not a big fan of this move to be honest. All I can think of in regards to Winston is this play.

KamChancellor

In case you can't tell that's Bam Bam not a defensive lineman.

1 can anyone tell me anything about him?
2 wasn't he the guy that kam destroyed that one time?

edit: ah, beat me to it lol. that answers both questions
To be fair, to the guy on the blow-up, look at where Winston's left foot is, at the time of contact with Kam

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
@DavisHsuSeattle: Winston just stonewalled Avril for a long time then pancaked him

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":28jbp9sv said:
@DavisHsuSeattle: Winston just stonewalled Avril for a long time then pancaked him

I will happily eat my previous comment if he pans out and starts for us.

nanomoz

Reaction score
This signing could be huge. Winston is an average-or-better right tackle most of the time. At the worst, he'll provide an insurance policy.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":m96sdkc7 said:
Pete refereed to Bowie as "Wally Pipp" -- you know, the guy that got replaced by Lou and nobody ever heard of again.

That was damning.

This is over-reaction.

Other than Hawkblogger's thoughts on Britt, I haven't really heard anything negative on him, and rookies have growing pains and learning curves. Its part of the process. Its why you go through minicamps, otas, training camps, and pre-season games. To coach these guys up before games count. And some of you guys have made up your opinion and folded your cards after 4 days of practice?

And for the record the replacement level at RT isn't that great... we are talking about an injury weakened Breno Giacomini and 7th Round 21 Year Old Rookie.

And your comments on Winston is a little premature... at one point he was one of the best RT in the game but changing teams sometimes is bad as it is good at times, especially when you lose that sense of chemistry with your teammates and familiarity in the system

I don't know what KC ran in 2012, or what Arizona ran last year but the best years of Winston's career was with Houston who had an excellent Zone Blocking System. So with 100+ consecutive Starts and 10 games against NFC and AFC West Opponents Winston as well as his familiarity with the ZBS, Winston is the very definition of a "plug and play" player.

So again in terms of replacement level, I doubt a healthy Winston is any worse than a healthy Giacomini (and the argument can be made that Winston is likely the better lineman of the two) and a healthy Britt is probably already better than a healthy Bowie (and certainly Britt getting #1 reps will continue to help him progress faster, this time last year Bowie was not only behind Breno in reps but he was bouncing all around the O-line just trying earn enough value to stick on the roster)