ESPN Ranks Seahawks' Linebacker Group As Best

ivotuk

Reaction score
Monday Round-Up: ESPN Ranks Seahawks' Linebacker Group As Best In The NFL
The group is led by a pair of star veterans and some exciting young talent.

Here's what he had to say about the unit:

"The Seattle defense is led by Bobby Wagner, who has managed at least 100 tackles (134.1 average) each of the past eight seasons," Clay wrote. "Wagner is now 30, and his counterpart K.J. Wright is 31, but Seattle cemented its strong LB room when it spent a first-round pick on Jordyn Brooks in April's draft. Add 2019 midround picks Cody Barton and Ben Burr-Kirven to the mix, and you have both quality and depth."

When you lay it out, it's hard to argue any linebacker group is better than Seattle's. Wagner has made the Pro Bowl in six straight seasons and has been named First-Team All-Pro for the last four seasons. He led the NFL with 159 combined tackles last season.

Wright has been a mainstay for Seattle his entire career, playing 13 or more games in eight of his nine seasons. Now 31, Wright is only getting better with age. In 2019, he had a career-high 132 combined tackles and three interceptions.

https://www.seahawks.com/news/monday-ro ... in-the-nfl

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Usually as fans so close to the team we usually find the value of players who are nationally underrated. However honestly in this case I think the reverse is kind of true. Being so close to the team we can see the decline due to age of Wagner and Wright, while nationally they tend to fall back on career achievements as evidence of them being the best.

Glad we took Brooks and hoping for some great play overall this season though. Wagner is still a great linebacker, but if this crew is the best it just shows you elite linebacker play is kind of down right now.

olyfan63

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1779yeib said:
Usually as fans so close to the team we usually find the value of players who are nationally underrated. However honestly in this case I think the reverse is kind of true. Being so close to the team we can see the decline due to age of Wagner and Wright, while nationally they tend to fall back on career achievements as evidence of them being the best.

Glad we took Brooks and hoping for some great play overall this season though. Wagner is still a great linebacker, but if this crew is the best it just shows you elite linebacker play is kind of down right now.

So right on the money. Last year KJ and Bobby looked like they'd lost a step. and we didn't have LB speed after Bobby. Kendricks was so often a day late and dollar short. Speedy and smart rookie Brooks will improve the group. I bet between Brooks and Adams, regaining some team speed, they make Bobby and KJ look better this year. Having Clowney back would help, if that happens, but if Bruce Irvin still has most of his speed, that helps too.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
The problem last year for our LBs was more the stubborn refusal to come out of base D more than any "decline" or "loss in speed". Playing base D all season neutered their play making, especially Bobby.

I love Pete, but he sometimes overthinks things. I hope we don't see the base D all the time approach this season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I don’t agree with ESPN. I think they are basing this on the past. After watching last season they looked a step slow on reacting. Still near the top maybe, #1, not so sure. The new draft picks are supposed to be fast and have good instincts but they haven’t set foot on the field, so you can’t factor them in yet.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Pretty tough to be “all in” on them being the best.

But when I try to think of a better group that’s tough too.

It’s very possible there is a better LB squad but I can’t pin point them.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The teams that ranked below the Hawks on the list:

2. Cowboys
3. Buccaneers
4. Texans
5. Colts
10. 49ers
17. Cardinals
32. Rams

xray

Reaction score
The starters for sure . The bench , not so sure , but without injuries top 3 group . :D