ESPN says Don't Jump Yet

hawk45

Reaction score
bigskydoc":qoiwrwbh said:
We always start slow, and it always looks uglier than it really is. The last few years, not only were the areas of improvement pretty clear, it was fairly easy to see the potential for improvement. An example of this, from this year, is the drops. These are flukes. Not flukes we can afford to make with our small margin for error, but flukes nonetheless.

My concern is that, this year I don't see the basis for improvement in the offensive line that I saw in years past. I'm hoping there is something I am missing, or they will be able to bring in new players with the potential for improvement. The likelihood seems pretty low

Yeah in some years Okung/Unger becoming healthy again for the playoffs gave us a reason to expect a boost.

Last year after we finally let everyone (but Britt) who might be described as solid walk (Carpenter, Unger, Sweezy, Okung) it just felt like the ceiling was too low. We never were able to run the ball the entire season and thus not much passing worked either.

Hard to see how were aren't right back there again with the current crop of players. Can't really dream of Glowinski continuing an upward trajectory since they've acknowledged his lack of progress and yanked him. Joeckel isn't going to turn into some fantastic player. Odhiambo is what he is. Ifedi is really where you go if you're looking for someone with a scintilla of a chance to improve and that's not a great place to be.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
cymatica":3jpl9vvb said:
Let's use stats from the last 2 years, or do each year separately, or how about our offense when we ran zone read primarily. Using stats from the first couple couple years to skew the current mess is disingenuous

Great idea. Go ahead and post here once you have that completed. :2thumbs:

sdog1981

Reaction score
2013 Seahawks started 11-1

2014 Seahawks went on an 8 game winning streak just to make it to the Superbowl

So runs like that are hard to come by. I just don't see this team going 12-1 or 11-2 the rest of the way based off of the performance so far.

Optimus25

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":38hkru44 said:
SoulfishHawk":38hkru44 said:
It's the same crap every year. Start slow, people act like the world has come to an end. Then the team gets rolling in the 2nd half of the season and is back in the playoffs, yet again.

Yeah, and that's great until the playoffs when we run into a good game in their house. Usually ends up in our exit.

My complaint isn't just a kneejerk reaction. I don't see why if an issue is easily identified it can't also be easily addressed. We start slow and lose ground in playoff seeding, which in turn leads to our downfall. Was ready for a different script this year.

BINGO.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
sdog1981":291cr3ji said:
2013 Seahawks started 11-1

2014 Seahawks went on an 8 game winning streak just to make it to the Superbowl

So runs like that are hard to come by. I just don't see this team going 12-1 or 11-2 the rest of the way based off of the performance so far.

Was just going to bring this up. The article is good and informative but the "Seattle always starts slow" is more of an excuse than anything else. We had close games in 2013 but we pulled out the win most of the time. Maybe if it were 2015 the slow start thing would be a little more acceptable.

The past 3 off seasons, preseasons and seasons have been identical to this point and I personally do not want to end this season like the last two. Being frustrated or a little annoyed about the way things are going so far this season seems very reasonable given the past two years.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2h7xlp0r said:
Fair enough, I believe they can do it. My own opinion, and I stick by it.
And clearly you're not getting what I'm saying, and that's fine.
Just because they lost road games in the past, it doesn't mean they will lose on the road this year if they end up playing a road playoff game. As in it's a new game, lace em up and go get it. Why bother playing, we lost in the past, so........
Just because I believe in the team, it doesn't mean I don't recognize the issues with the team. I choose to see the positive and not assume they will lose. I just don't see the fun in assuming the worst. We all look it our own way :irishdrinkers:
The being said, like most teams, home field is massively important for these guys.
I'm a homer, I get it, that's not gonna' change.

Thats not really the point though.

Past games generally are a good indication of how a team will do in the same circumstances moving forward. We've seen the same script before, it would be weird to picture something different happening.

The past repeats itself.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3r61ct2b said:
SoulfishHawk":3r61ct2b said:
Fair enough, I believe they can do it. My own opinion, and I stick by it.
And clearly you're not getting what I'm saying, and that's fine.
Just because they lost road games in the past, it doesn't mean they will lose on the road this year if they end up playing a road playoff game. As in it's a new game, lace em up and go get it. Why bother playing, we lost in the past, so........
Just because I believe in the team, it doesn't mean I don't recognize the issues with the team. I choose to see the positive and not assume they will lose. I just don't see the fun in assuming the worst. We all look it our own way :irishdrinkers:
The being said, like most teams, home field is massively important for these guys.
I'm a homer, I get it, that's not gonna' change.

Thats not really the point though.

Past games generally are a good indication of how a team will do in the same circumstances moving forward. We've seen the same script before, it would be weird to picture something different happening.

The past repeats itself.

Exactly. History will typically repeat itself unless you do something to alter it. That is suppose to be one way we humans learn in fact.

themunn

Reaction score
First 9 games of 2013 included these:

Game 1 - 4th quarter comeback against Carolina in opener to win 12-7.

Game 4 - Down 20-6 going into the 4th quarter against Texans - pick 6 by Sherman to get us back in it. One of the worst games Wilson ever played. Even had a 3 and out that started from midfield in overtime.

Game 6 - Down at halftime at home to the Titans and again didn't take the lead until the 4th quarter.

Game 8 - Goal line stand with 3 attempts from the 1 for the Rams to take the win 14-9. (Incidentally, first game without a giveaway turnover of the season)

Game 9 - Down 21-0 to the then 0-8 Buccaneers at halftime.

Each one of those games could have easily gone the other way - all won by one score or less (2 in OT no-less), and the 2013 team could have been a 3-6 team after 9 games had they all gone the other way.

So there's no sense getting beat up by 2 games that DID go that way. Let's see where we stand after 16 games, as past experience DOES suggest we'll get better as the season goes on.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Guess i'm considered a 'Debbie Downer', but I have no hope that this team can win a road playoff game. 0-4 under the Carroll regime, why would I? This team is just an extension of last seasons mess and it doesnt seem to be getting better anytime soon. In order for this team to move forward I believe there needs to be drastic changes in the coaching philosophy and history has told us that that wont happen anytime soon.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
I recall a playoff road win against the Vikings. Recently I might add.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
And the next week against Carolina, despite being unprepared to play in a cow pasture, they made the game close in the end. I'm optimistic...

cymatica

Reaction score
Seymour":31bkrs3j said:
cymatica":31bkrs3j said:
Let's use stats from the last 2 years, or do each year separately, or how about our offense when we ran zone read primarily. Using stats from the first couple couple years to skew the current mess is disingenuous

Great idea. Go ahead and post here once you have that completed. :2thumbs:

Sounds like a job for the guys at espn who get paid for it.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Palmegranite":1b8xqqd6 said:
I recall a playoff road win against the Vikings. Recently I might add.

We also beat Washington on the Road in the 2012 playoffs. The beginning of the end game for RGIII.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawk45":2ruh3lge said:
SoulfishHawk":2ruh3lge said:
It's the same crap every year. Start slow, people act like the world has come to an end. Then the team gets rolling in the 2nd half of the season and is back in the playoffs, yet again.

It's true that there is overreaction to recent losses but tell me, do you think this team can win in the playoffs on the road?
At this juncture?....NO, but that's the whole point the OP is making....The Seahawks aren't at their full potential yet.
Same song and dance for the last 6 years.
Just knowing that they will get their shit together is good enough for me.

hawk45

Reaction score
scutterhawk":nk1ljfx8 said:
hawk45":nk1ljfx8 said:
SoulfishHawk":nk1ljfx8 said:

It's true that there is overreaction to recent losses but tell me, do you think this team can win in the playoffs on the road?
At this juncture?....NO, but that's the whole point the OP is making....The Seahawks aren't at their full potential yet.

It's a question of history and ceiling.

The history is both Superbowl berths were with HFA, and all playoff bounces came without it.

I think the team could improve to the level of last year's team and win a game, maybe even two (wildcard and divisional). But the OL if anything has a lower ceiling than last year with a backup at LT for the worst starting LT in the league last year.

I won't break out pitchforks if they don't go all the way to the Superbowl. But HFA as path to a championship is a perfectly reasonable explanation for fans placing more importance on early-season struggles. It's because they realize the team is really close to Superbowl potential every year, but those hopes have been scuttled by dropping early games and thus being bounced out of the playoffs.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
scutterhawk":32m15nkn said:
hawk45":32m15nkn said:
SoulfishHawk":32m15nkn said:

No it's not. Go back and look at 2013 the year we won it all. Many differences. And that is the goal for most of us following the team here.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would jump. This team is light years better than what we had to deal with for much of the first 20 years of existence.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3amu1d8m said:
scutterhawk":3amu1d8m said:
hawk45":3amu1d8m said:
SoulfishHawk":3amu1d8m said:

No it's not. Go back and look at 2013 the year we won it all. Many differences. And that is the goal for most of us following the team here.
I have no crystal ball, but I, unlike you, & a bunch of others, choose to believe that Pete & Co. have earned the benefit of doubt.
I choose Positivity...IF they AGAIN make it into the playoffs, it would be nice to get there with HFA,,,,,,, BUT having said that, making it to the SB is still not off the table without being the #1 seed + it's still too early to start writing them off.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
^^^ Absolutely!!! We haven't even reached the quarter point of the season yet. I agree with your attitude and fire. When we hoist another Lombardi, Ill remember this time when those around us were exposed for their true colors, but we continued to believe!

Latest posts