Tired offensive trope is tired

BASF

Reaction score
"We need an offensive minded head coach" is so overplayed here. Since purging the last of Jim Mora's players from the team eleven seasons ago, we have finished in the top ten in scoring in eight seasons. We are currently sixth in points scored in season twelve. All but the most stringent Me3 fanboys and girls have admitted to themselves that we accomplished a lot offensively with a QB that could not run the offense as intended. In 2022, our "defensive minded" head coach led our team to ninth in points scored with a QB more than ninety percent of "experts" and posters here derided. He was the thirty-third ranked QB to start the season. Carroll just led him to the Pro Bowl, Comeback player of the year and get this (I didn't know this) he actually finished tied for ninth in MVP votes (that is better than Me3 ever did) with one vote. I know, everyone counts yards first, but yards do not win games. Points scored win games.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think the combo of no Russell and hiring of Waldron who's a more progressive style of coordinator has tamped down some of what you're talking about.

It's pretty clear since Russ left that the offense looks far more like a normal, cohesive actual functional NFL offense. Before Pete was getting blamed for "Pete ball." Again, pretty obvious now that "Pete ball" = trying to operate an offensive scheme within the confines of Wilson's limitations.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
I think the combo of no Russell and hiring of Waldron who's a more progressive style of coordinator has tamped down some of what you're talking about.

It's pretty clear since Russ left that the offense looks far more like a normal, cohesive actual functional NFL offense. Before Pete was getting blamed for "Pete ball." Again, pretty obvious now that "Pete ball" = trying to operate an offensive scheme within the confines of Wilson's limitations.
Finally, the two of us agree on something.

renofox

Reaction score
The only criticism I've seen this year is that the Offense (mostly due to Geno) stalls too often for too long a period of time (entire 2nd half Rams, most 1st half Detroit, 2nd half Giants), and this is valid.

We all know the ability is there, and the performance has been adequate, but a little more consistency and elevation is going to be needed when we face better teams. Starting with the Bengals.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
It's hard to score points in the NFL. Almost as hard as keeping opponents out of the endzone. Fans expect their team to go 80 yards. Excuse me, 75 yards every possession and get a TD when in reality they're not playing Madden on Rookie mode.

And don't get me started on the arbitrary bogus calls the officials call here and there that completely stall drives. or keep drives alive.

I'm convinced that even if both teams played flawlessly throughout the entire game and did everything by the book, penalties would still be called. Refs would probably feel like they weren't doing their job if they didn't throw laundry.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Some of the stall issues are also due to the patched-together offensive line. They've done a remarkable job all things considered, but they aren't as good as first stringers.

This was some of the blame when Russ was here as well, years and years of "Pete and John don't care about the O-line, so Russ gets sacked too much and the offense can't function."

Fast forward to last Monday night when a bunch of 2nd and 3rd stringers sure did make Geno look good didn't they?

Again, it's VERY obvious that much of the offensive criticisms were not Pete, the coordinators or O-lines fault. They were Wilson's fault. Go read Bronco Twitter, it's like Groundhog Day. O-line's fault, coordinator's fault, they're not using Russ properly.

When you have QB that can call the play quickly, make adjustments quickly, stand in the pocket and go through progressions properly? Sure does make the entire offense look better doesn't it.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score

I definitely think Waldron is a great OC.
Finally, the two of us agree on something.
Hey Sgt Largent is a pretty calm and knowledgeable guy and doesn't ever think I'm retarded.. He just asks me to explain myself if possible.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
That's why I'm thinking 10-7/11-6 isn't dreaming problem is SF in 14-3/15-2 level currently. But we have to win vs some big time teams quickly. Cincinnati will give us some answers on our possibilities. Burrow and his boy are the best in the NFL when 100% healthy. But we have special K players like the Spoon etc so bring it Bengals. We come to play at 10am now so you better bring your A game.

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
When you have QB that can call the play quickly, make adjustments quickly, stand in the pocket and go through progressions properly? Sure does make the entire offense look better doesn't it.
This. Geno can be that guy at times, and at other times, not so much. Pobody's Nerfect.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
We aren't SF level currently but maybe might be late in the year.

We aren't SF level currently but maybe might be late in the year.

This. Geno can be that guy at times, and at other times, not so much. Pobody's Nerfect.
But we need to be way better. Shanahan and Purdy aren't leaving and we need answers quickly plus McVay lurking.....ready to spend and **** the draft it's LA if you aren't a contender nobody buys a ticket. Seattle as a fanbase needs to demand better then mediacocrity.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

Unless we're talking about the elite 2-3 QB's in the league, this is every QB.

Geno's played good this year, but IMO not great yet like he did for stretches last year. I hope with the O-line getting healthy and a full compliment of skill position players, we'll start to see our offense start to convert those 3rd downs and score more.

3rd downs and red zone TD's has been bad this year so far.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Old narratives die hard.

Waldron has been doing a pretty good job this year, with "modern" formations we haven't seen too much of.

This weekend, the game plan needs to be a heavy dose of running and more 12 and 13 personnel. The Bengals are weak against the run and weak against covering TEs. Control the clock, protect the football and play keep away from Chase and company.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Again, it's VERY obvious that much of the offensive criticisms were not Pete, the coordinators or O-lines fault. They were Wilson's fault. Go read Bronco Twitter, it's like Groundhog Day. O-line's fault, coordinator's fault, they're not using Russ properly.
Yup. I love your comment about 'pete ball'.

Pete ball = Russ being an idiot and outright ignoring what was called/asked for and then playing hero ball when his fat ass couldn't scat out of a rush. It was Russball.

If you want an indication of how slow/stupid/stubborn/non-compliant Russ was - Just look at his first stint with the Donks where he was freaking out their offense using Hawks calls!

Anyhow.... Russ rant off ;) God I love Geno.

JustTheTip

Reaction score

The only really odd thing right now is that despite Geno being the obviously superior QB, the offense seems to operate with more rhythm and smoothness as a whole when Lock is under center.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Unless we're talking about the elite 2-3 QB's in the league, this is every QB.

Geno's played good this year, but IMO not great yet like he did for stretches last year. I hope with the O-line getting healthy and a full compliment of skill position players, we'll start to see our offense start to convert those 3rd downs and score more.

3rd downs and red zone TD's has been bad this year so far.
Yep. To win an owl, there will be games where we need him to score 4 td's or more, and he hasn't been able to do that yet. Fingers crossed.