Ethan Pocic named starting center

John63

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":30kk0st5 said:
SoulfishHawk":30kk0st5 said:
Fair enough, noted. I'm not trying to do anything, geezus man. I guess it's on par for you to give me crap, so...…
Hoping Pocic proves a lot of people wrong. That being said, would love to see Britt back in the mix if he's healthy enough.

Britt was seen trying out with the Packers, I think.

The people who are down on Pocic are down on him because he didn't cut the mustard in pass protection. They're not just making that up. Him being better than Joey Hunt isn't a huge compliment.

And, yet I am taking pot shot to remind people he is not good in pass blocking. Naming him center is fine, but does not change the FACT we still after over 8 years have not done much to improve pass blocking to even average.

Great he is the starter, does not mean he is good, just meanas he is betetr than a god awful Hunt. The hbest fo the worst is still the worse.

John63

Reaction score
:irishdrinkers:
Maelstrom787":3l6hhwn9 said:
John63":3l6hhwn9 said:
Maelstrom787":3l6hhwn9 said:
John63":3l6hhwn9 said:
So more of Wilson running for his life.

yeah becuz ethin pocic is a knwon run blocker abd not pass blok!

Give it a rest. Pocic was a very good college center, let's see how he fares at his natural position.[/quotee]

Ahh no I will not, and Pocic was blown up a lot last year in pass blocking so you give it a rest. The Fact is ethan was horrible in pass protection period

All I'm saying is that there is good reason to believe Pocic will perform better at center, which is his natural position. He was a very good center in college, it's his natural position on the line. He's had a good camp working at that spot. This is his best fit.

The whole drive-by pessimism on any thread remotely involving the offensive line is weak sauce. If you feel so strongly about everybody sucking no matter what, at least offer some intelligent discourse on the topic.

again 8+ years, and we have never ranked avg in pass blocking. Till he and them prove otherwise there is no reason to believe otherwise. ts not drive by when we have been saying and, they have been proving they have been bad for 8+ years.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":37ie5vo5 said:
Maelstrom787":37ie5vo5 said:
John63":37ie5vo5 said:

Give it a rest. Pocic was a very good college center, let's see how he fares at his natural position.[/quotee]

Ahh no I will not, and Pocic was blown up a lot last year in pass blocking so you give it a rest. The Fact is ethan was horrible in pass protection period

All I'm saying is that there is good reason to believe Pocic will perform better at center, which is his natural position. He was a very good center in college, it's his natural position on the line. He's had a good camp working at that spot. This is his best fit.

The whole drive-by pessimism on any thread remotely involving the offensive line is weak sauce. If you feel so strongly about everybody sucking no matter what, at least offer some intelligent discourse on the topic.

again 8+ years, and we have never ranked avg in pass blocking. Till he and them prove otherwise there is no reason to believe otherwise. ts not drive by when we have been saying and, they have been proving they have been bad for 8+ years.

Have you ever considered how big of a role scheme plays into the offensive lines underperformance? Seattle is consistently one of the longest time-to-throw offenses in the league. I'm not saying the offensive line is good - just that they're given a comparatively difficult assignment in this offense.

Notice that whenever Seattle has implemented a quicker passing game, the offensive line woes are far less dramatic. Personally, seeing as we have a famously elusive quarterback, I'm fine with the offensive line not being the highest priority. Much of the negative effects can be mitigated.

Even with massive investment on the line to the detriment of other positions, I'm not sure they really could ever even be top 5 with a quarterback that takes his time like Russ does (be that through his own fault or through the fault of the scheme)

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Never ranked average? Bad for 8 years? Well, they were one play from back to back Super Bowl titles. They must have been doing something right....just sayin.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
John63":33jga842 said:
MontanaHawk05":33jga842 said:
John63":33jga842 said:
SoulfishHawk":33jga842 said:
Damn Debbie, have a coke and a smile. Relax

Sorry I live in the real world Polly!

I see our two resident potshot artists are trying to get another thread Shacked. Can we get back on topic, please?

I see our typical ostrich with his head in a hole is trying to get people to ignore the obvious again. Let's get back on topic Pocic is the starting center and has shown nothing to show he can be even avg at pass blocking. Its not a pot shot twhen its true and the issue has existed for 8+years.

You can relay football information without getting personal.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Back to back Super Bowl appearances, while running the ball down people's throats. Those o-lines got work done. Agree to disagree that they have sucked for 8 years on that line.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2lhsbmsu said:
John63":2lhsbmsu said:
Maelstrom787":2lhsbmsu said:
John63":2lhsbmsu said:

Have you ever considered how big of a role scheme plays into the offensive lines underperformance? Seattle is consistently one of the longest time-to-throw offenses in the league. I'm not saying the offensive line is good - just that they're given a comparatively difficult assignment in this offense.

Notice that whenever Seattle has implemented a quicker passing game, the offensive line woes are far less dramatic. Personally, seeing as we have a famously elusive quarterback, I'm fine with the offensive line not being the highest priority. Much of the negative effects can be mitigated.

Even with massive investment on the line to the detriment of other positions, I'm not sure they really could ever even be top 5 with a quarterback that takes his time like Russ does (be that through his own fault or through the fault of the scheme)

Actually I have hence why most of my ire is at PC. He refuses to run what works best and forces them to do what he wants. So ate the needs to change, or he needs to get olineman who can pass protect in his system. Yet he constantly gets olineman known as good run blockers but bad pass blocker regardless of system.

John63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2593nnf6 said:
Never ranked average? Bad for 8 years? Well, they were one play from back to back Super Bowl titles. They must have been doing something right....just sayin.

great now imagine how many SB we would have gone to and maybe won if we were not amongst the worse pass blocking teams in the league year in and year out

John63

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3ex9sdku said:
John63":3ex9sdku said:
MontanaHawk05":3ex9sdku said:
John63":3ex9sdku said:
Sorry I live in the real world Polly!

I see our two resident potshot artists are trying to get another thread Shacked. Can we get back on topic, please?

I see our typical ostrich with his head in a hole is trying to get people to ignore the obvious again. Let's get back on topic Pocic is the starting center and has shown nothing to show he can be even avg at pass blocking. Its not a pot shot twhen its true and the issue has existed for 8+years.

You can relay football information without getting personal.

Ahh yeah right so him calling me Debbie is okay but me saying Polly is not right?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Give the dude a chance, he might surprise us. He's our center on Sunday, so let's go get that W. We get it already, you spew the same crap about Pete, the o-line, the front office, pretty much anything Hawks related.
Give it a rest and pull for you team. Everything sucks, they are going to win 3 games. Better?

Go Hawks. 5 days til' we get it Rollin :irishdrinkers:

John63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3r1c8h3p said:
Back to back Super Bowl appearances, while running the ball down people's throats. Those o-lines got work done. Agree to disagree that they have sucked for 8 years on that line.

reading is fundamental I said pass blocking not run blocking. They were great run blockers. Problem is we need them to pass block too, and they have sucked at it. Never ranked in the top half of the league and over that 8 years avg ranging 26th

John63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2tuer5ii said:
Give the dude a chance, he might surprise us. He's our center on Sunday, so let's go get that W. We get it already, you spew the same crap about Pete, the o-line, the front office, pretty much anything Hawks related.
Give it a rest and pull for you team. Everything sucks, they are going to win 3 games. Better?

Go Hawks. 5 days til' we get it Rollin :irishdrinkers:

I go in like every year with hope, but expect little. no history or fact to give me a reason for anything else. The best chance he and the rest have is a quick passing attack.

John63

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2vil73do said:
We're done man, get over it.

Go Hawks

you mean your done, I am stating my opinion thats what a forum is for.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":3gw26zgc said:
Maelstrom787":3gw26zgc said:
John63":3gw26zgc said:
Maelstrom787":3gw26zgc said:

Actually I have hence why most of my ire is at PC. He refuses to run what works best and forces them to do what he wants. So ate the needs to change, or he needs to get olineman who can pass protect in his system. Yet he constantly gets olineman known as good run blockers but bad pass blocker regardless of system.

Deep passing game seems to work pretty well, considering Russell's efficiency is still elite despite the playbook being full of deep routes. Elite pass protectors don't grow on trees. If you can swing a deep passing attack because you have a great quarterback with excellent elusiveness, might as well. I'd rather see large investments go elsewhere, for the most part, especially towards the defense. I'm not saying they should switch the entire offense around just to make the offensive line look better, I'm just making a point that the scheme they're in makes them look worse. Black-and-white observations like the ad nauseum "known run blockers" mantra are not just lazy, but they do not come close to capturing the full picture of the situation.

Either way, Pocic was a great center in college who was "known to be" a good pass blocker, and allowed very little pressure. I'm happy to see him get a shot at his primary position, where he has a better chance to flourish.

The facts are this:

- Regarding "protecting our investment" in Russ - he has never missed a game. He seems to do just fine behind this line, for the most part.

- The offense continues to be an effective unit, despite being somewhat archaic in it's philosophy.

- The same lines you're criticizing from earlier in Carroll's tenure ticked along well enough to net two Super Bowl appearances, one Super Bowl win, and the team continues to be a perennial presence in the postseason.

The line is nowhere near as heinous as it's made out to be.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":if38vlim said:
SoulfishHawk":if38vlim said:

reading is fundamental I said pass blocking not run blocking. They were great run blockers. Problem is we need them to pass block too, and they have sucked at it. Never ranked in the top half of the league and over that 8 years avg ranging 26th

I take issue with you lecturing others on the fundamentals of reading comprehension, considering your posts are hardly legible to begin with half the time and lack even a basic element of proofreading. Seriously, man. Simmer down with that crap.

John63":if38vlim said:
great now imagine how many SB we would have gone to and maybe won if we were not amongst the worse pass blocking teams in the league year in and year out

You're really going to move the goalposts so far back as to contend that an offensive line on a Super Bowl winning team was not adequate?

At this point, it's becoming clear you look more at meaningless rankings than you do the overall result.

Tell me, what would your specific plan be for the offensive line? Where would you take the resources from to allocate to the elite pass blockers that you seem to contend are abundantly available?

This is a league where even potentially good tackles get decent contracts. Example: George Fant. Sure, the Jets overpaid, but even his value is fairly high. I don't think you liked George Fant, he was a knwon run blockar and bad pass blok.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":32qd4ekb said:
John63":32qd4ekb said:
Maelstrom787":32qd4ekb said:
John63":32qd4ekb said:

Deep passing game seems to work pretty well, considering Russell's efficiency is still elite despite the playbook being full of deep routes. Elite pass protectors don't grow on trees. If you can swing a deep passing attack because you have a great quarterback with excellent elusiveness, might as well. I'd rather see large investments go elsewhere, for the most part, especially towards the defense. I'm not saying they should switch the entire offense around just to make the offensive line look better, I'm just making a point that the scheme they're in makes them look worse. Black-and-white observations like the ad nauseum "known run blockers" mantra are not just lazy, but they do not come close to capturing the full picture of the situation.

Either way, Pocic was a great center in college who was "known to be" a good pass blocker, and allowed very little pressure. I'm happy to see him get a shot at his primary position, where he has a better chance to flourish.

The facts are this:

- Regarding "protecting our investment" in Russ - he has never missed a game. He seems to do just fine behind this line, for the most part.

- The offense continues to be an effective unit, despite being somewhat archaic in it's philosophy.

- The same lines you're criticizing from earlier in Carroll's tenure ticked along well enough to net two Super Bowl appearances, one Super Bowl win, and the team continues to be a perennial presence in the postseason.

The line is nowhere near as heinous as it's made out to be.

yes now imagine if they could pass block, oh and our sack rate is working pretty well. Wilson has been the most hit, hurried, pressured and sacked Qb in the league since 2012, you want to keep rollign thte dice? I dont.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1gp2gao3 said:
John63":1gp2gao3 said:
SoulfishHawk":1gp2gao3 said:

I take issue with you lecturing others on the fundamentals of reading comprehension, considering your posts are hardly legible to begin with half the time and lack even a basic element of proofreading. Seriously, man. Simmer down with that crap.

John63":1gp2gao3 said:

You're really going to move the goalposts so far back as to contend that an offensive line on a Super Bowl winning team was not adequate?

At this point, it's becoming clear you look more at meaningless rankings than you do the overall result.

Tell me, what would your specific plan be for the offensive line? Where would you take the resources from to allocate to the elite pass blockers that you seem to contend are abundantly available?

This is a league where even potentially good tackles get decent contracts. Example: George Fant. Sure, the Jets overpaid, but even his value is fairly high. I don't think you liked George Fant, he was a knwon run blockar and bad pass blok.

again reading.. I said pass blocking. The rest of your post is more excuses for us having one of the worse pass blocking oline in the league every year/ FYI talk about not legible " don't think you liked George Fant, he was a knwon run blockar and bad pass blok" LOL

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":rslfw72r said:
John63":rslfw72r said:
SoulfishHawk":rslfw72r said:

John63":rslfw72r said:

I see what you did there, Mael. :lol: :lol: :lol:

John63

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":353ph59n said:
Maelstrom787":353ph59n said:
John63":353ph59n said:
SoulfishHawk":353ph59n said:

John63":353ph59n said:

I see what you did there, Mael. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did to he did nothing but make excuses!