Ethan Pocic named starting center

Smellyman

Reaction score
John 6:3 Thou shalt have a stout line to protect thy son

sdog1981

Reaction score
Centers don't block. That is just the long and short of it.

Britt was a complete joke at tackle and guard. Why? Because he had to block someone on every play. Once he was moved to center and did not have to block every down and he was suddenly a good player.

The same thing will happen with Pocic.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Hopefully he has the intelligence to make the line adjustments as well, something that's key for center.

Unger and Tobeck (cant really count Kevin Mawae) are the best centers we've had imo, mostly because of their mental ability to make the proper line adjustments to go along with the physical tools.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2flloxdf said:
Hopefully he has the intelligence to make the line adjustments as well, something that's key for center.

Unger and Tobeck are the best centers we've had imo, mostly because of their mental ability to make the proper line adjustments to go along with the physical tools.

Yarno wasn't so bad, also too bad we never held on to Kevin Mawae.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3otunz6x said:
Maelstrom787":3otunz6x said:
John63":3otunz6x said:
SoulfishHawk":3otunz6x said:
Back to back Super Bowl appearances, while running the ball down people's throats. Those o-lines got work done. Agree to disagree that they have sucked for 8 years on that line.

reading is fundamental I said pass blocking not run blocking. They were great run blockers. Problem is we need them to pass block too, and they have sucked at it. Never ranked in the top half of the league and over that 8 years avg ranging 26th

I take issue with you lecturing others on the fundamentals of reading comprehension, considering your posts are hardly legible to begin with half the time and lack even a basic element of proofreading. Seriously, man. Simmer down with that crap.

John63":3otunz6x said:
great now imagine how many SB we would have gone to and maybe won if we were not amongst the worse pass blocking teams in the league year in and year out

You're really going to move the goalposts so far back as to contend that an offensive line on a Super Bowl winning team was not adequate?

At this point, it's becoming clear you look more at meaningless rankings than you do the overall result.

Tell me, what would your specific plan be for the offensive line? Where would you take the resources from to allocate to the elite pass blockers that you seem to contend are abundantly available?

This is a league where even potentially good tackles get decent contracts. Example: George Fant. Sure, the Jets overpaid, but even his value is fairly high. I don't think you liked George Fant, he was a knwon run blockar and bad pass blok.

I see what you did there, Mael. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Flew over the heads of some, heh. Glad someone was there to catch it. ;)

sdog1981

Reaction score
chris98251":37cn16zm said:
Jerhawk":37cn16zm said:

Unger and Tobeck are the best centers we've had imo, mostly because of their mental ability to make the proper line adjustments to go along with the physical tools.

Yarno wasn't so bad, also too bad we never held on to Kevin Mawae.

Mawae, Hutch, Jones could have been the starting left side in 2004-2005

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":291t0koc said:
Maelstrom787":291t0koc said:
SoulfishHawk":291t0koc said:
Back to back Super Bowl appearances, while running the ball down people's throats. Those o-lines got work done. Agree to disagree that they have sucked for 8 years on that line.

reading is fundamental I said pass blocking not run blocking. They were great run blockers. Problem is we need them to pass block too, and they have sucked at it. Never ranked in the top half of the league and over that 8 years avg ranging 26th

I take issue with you lecturing others on the fundamentals of reading comprehension, considering your posts are hardly legible to begin with half the time and lack even a basic element of proofreading. Seriously, man. Simmer down with that crap.

great now imagine how many SB we would have gone to and maybe won if we were not amongst the worse pass blocking teams in the league year in and year out

You're really going to move the goalposts so far back as to contend that an offensive line on a Super Bowl winning team was not adequate?

At this point, it's becoming clear you look more at meaningless rankings than you do the overall result.

Tell me, what would your specific plan be for the offensive line? Where would you take the resources from to allocate to the elite pass blockers that you seem to contend are abundantly available?

This is a league where even potentially good tackles get decent contracts. Example: George Fant. Sure, the Jets overpaid, but even his value is fairly high. I don't think you liked George Fant, he was a knwon run blockar and bad pass blok.

again reading.. I said pass blocking. The rest of your post is more excuses for us having one of the worse pass blocking oline in the league every year/ FYI talk about not legible " don't think you liked George Fant, he was a knwon run blockar and bad pass blok" LOL

:34853_doh:

First off, yes, I know you said "pass blocking." You've said it probably hundreds of times just this offseason.

Secondly, my post is hardly comprised of excuses. In fact, it's chiefly comprised of questions about what you would do, specifically, to fix the line. Conveniently for you, you ignored them and went straight to deflection.

Well, I noticed, and I'd like to remind you still that I await your blueprint, oh great John63, hater of known run blockers.

PS: Regarding the legibility matter... yeah, dude, that was kind of the joke. If you need a proofreader, I suggest Fiverr. You can get a good deal there.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":c64pjn4e said:
John63":c64pjn4e said:
Maelstrom787":c64pjn4e said:

again reading.. I said pass blocking. The rest of your post is more excuses for us having one of the worse pass blocking oline in the league every year/ FYI talk about not legible " don't think you liked George Fant, he was a knwon run blockar and bad pass blok" LOL

First off, yes, I know you said "pass blocking." You've said it probably hundreds of times just this offseason.

Secondly, my post is hardly comprised of excuses. In fact, it's chiefly comprised of questions about what you would do, specifically, to fix the line. Conveniently for you, you ignored them and went straight to deflection.

Well, I noticed, and I'd like to remind you still that I await your blueprint, oh great John63, hater of known run blockers.

PS: Regarding the legibility matter... yeah, dude, that was kind of the joke. If you need a proofreader, I suggest Fiverr. You can get a good deal there.

I have already answered this before. You either change your system to account for your bad pass blocking ie quick passing or you find olineman who are known to be good pass blockers. We so far have done neither. We still run a system that relies on long routes and we still look for run blockers. Pretty simple, other teams manage to do it.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":1i9lkgv5 said:
Maelstrom787":1i9lkgv5 said:
John63":1i9lkgv5 said:
Maelstrom787":1i9lkgv5 said:

I have already answered this before. You either change your system to account for your bad pass blocking ie quick passing or you find olineman who are known to be good pass blockers. We so far have done neither. We still run a system that relies on long routes and we still look for run blockers. Pretty simple, other teams manage to do it.

Okay, so change the entire scheme solely for the purpose of having the offensive line rank higher? Got it.

Again, really good pass blockers are not easy to find and generally come at a premium. What part of the team are you neglecting to sign these special and abundant known pass blockers?

sutz

Reaction score
If we were a team that featured a ton of drop back passing the argument might make sense. But we're not.

The Seahawks depend on a balanced attack using play action passing, which requires a top run game. The team depends on that focus to give the QB and receivers an extra step off of the play action to get set up and execute.

We really do emphasize run blocking over pass blocking in our O-line and there is a logical reason for it. It's also the reason we use a FB more than other teams around the league.

John63

Reaction score
sutz":3mmm780t said:
If we were a team that featured a ton of drop back passing the argument might make sense. But we're not.

The Seahawks depend on a balanced attack using play action passing, which requires a top run game. The team depends on that focus to give the QB and receivers an extra step off of the play action to get set up and execute.

We really do emphasize run blocking over pass blocking in our O-line and there is a logical reason for it. It's also the reason we use a FB more than other teams around the league.

That should scare you even more that given all you just said Wilson still has led the league in hits, hurries, pressures and sacks since 2012., and goes to my point we have done little to improve pass blocking and are playing with fire.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":8upew9ji said:
John63":8upew9ji said:
Maelstrom787":8upew9ji said:
John63":8upew9ji said:

Okay, so change the entire scheme solely for the purpose of having the offensive line rank higher? Got it.

Again, really good pass blockers are not easy to find and generally come at a premium. What part of the team are you neglecting to sign these special and abundant known pass blockers?

No change the system because it matches what you have. You have a team built for quick passing attack and the best part is you can still run the ball as much as you do know, but you make it easier on the olineman and thus lessen QB being hit, hurried, sacked, and pressured. pretty simple,

AgentDib

Reaction score
sdog1981":cteusrrh said:
Centers don't block. That is just the long and short of it. Britt was a complete joke at tackle and guard. Why? Because he had to block someone on every play. Once he was moved to center and did not have to block every down and he was suddenly a good player. The same thing will happen with Pocic.
There's a lot of truth to this, especially the comparison to Britt who had the same sort of lanky frame that Pocic does, and who also faced the same leverage issues at guard. At center, length becomes an asset because it allows our other linemen an extra few milliseconds of reaction time after the snap.

If you re-watch the play where Brit was injured against the Bengals, he was completely out leveraged by Geno Atkins and thrown backwards into Dissly who was pulling around behind. Pocic might get beat like that occasionally against really good DTs, but the rest of the time he should look solid participating in double teams.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
John63":3j2knnbs said:
sutz":3j2knnbs said:

That should scare you even more that given all you just said Wilson still has led the league in hits, hurries, pressures and sacks since 2012., and goes to my point we have done little to improve pass blocking and are playing with fire.

And yet somehow, we are still better than most of the rest of the league, including a lot of teams that invest in the quick passing game everyone covets. And we pull this stuff off every single year.

If the fact that we haven't won every Super Bowl since 2014 is your only proof that the system isn't working, then every team out there except the Patriots is terrible, which isn't a workable conclusion given that there are very good teams out there that simply aren't winning.

And when there are other explanations for the struggles like having a bottom-five[i/] defense, blaming the philosophy of a top-five offense rings pretty hollow.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":13mjthdo said:
Maelstrom787":13mjthdo said:
John63":13mjthdo said:
Maelstrom787":13mjthdo said:

No change the system because it matches what you have. You have a team built for quick passing attack and the best part is you can still run the ball as much as you do know, but you make it easier on the olineman and thus lessen QB being hit, hurried, sacked, and pressured. pretty simple,

That doesn't track with your primary gripe in your posts found in these type of threads, which are centered around the personnel not specializing in run blocking. If your main solution is going to a quicker short game, that's cool, but that's nothing like what you've been repeating.

Also, why not continue with the deep passing game if Russell's efficiency doesn't dip as much when he goes downfield? Again, seems your primary concern is less the result and more just centered around improving certain rankings. Russell's strength is his deep game, I say emphasize that as much as possible.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
This is a discussion focusing on how the business side is limiting our game.
When you have multiple high salaried players and a decreasing salary cap there is no simple solution. But if there is one it is to have a guy like the one we pay the most money to.

John63

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3ogo1n7t said:
John63":3ogo1n7t said:
sutz":3ogo1n7t said:

And yet somehow, we are still better than most of the rest of the league, including a lot of teams that invest in the quick passing game everyone covets. And we pull this stuff off every single year.

If the fact that we haven't won every Super Bowl since 2014 is your only proof that the system isn't working, then every team out there except the Patriots is terrible, which isn't a workable conclusion given that there are very good teams out there that simply aren't winning.

And when there are other explanations for the struggles like having a bottom-five[i/] defense, blaming the philosophy of a top-five offense rings pretty hollow.

and yet we could be so much better and are one hit form being crap all do to what has been and until the prove otherwise is a bad pass blocking oline and system. and FYI last time we went beyond 2nd round of playoffs was.......2015.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":oacjul3a said:
John63":oacjul3a said:
Maelstrom787":oacjul3a said:
John63":oacjul3a said:

That doesn't track with your primary gripe in your posts found in these type of threads, which are centered around the personnel not specializing in run blocking. If your main solution is going to a quicker short game, that's cool, but that's nothing like what you've been repeating.

Also, why not continue with the deep passing game if Russell's efficiency doesn't dip as much when he goes downfield? Again, seems your primary concern is less the result and more just centered around improving certain rankings. Russell's strength is his deep game, I say emphasize that as much as possible.

Ahh l;et me try this again, we have olineman that are good to great run blockers, but really bad pass blockers. So you change to a quick hitting attack for passing making it easier on the olineman as they wil not have to hold block as long. pretty simple you can't pass block well for long make it, so they dont have to do it as long/

John63

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1p5vqoi3 said:
This is a discussion focusing on how the business side is limiting our game.
When you have multiple high salaried players and a decreasing salary cap there is no simple solution. But if there is one it is to have a guy like the one we pay the most money to.

no not just the business side by the actual system side.

godawg

Reaction score
Max Unger was considered one of the best college centers in the draft, but for the first couple of years he played guard for the Hawks, and it’s hard to deny that he sucked. He couldn’t anchor well enough. Too light in the pants. Once he was back at his natural position he became a Pro Bowler.

Britt was just as bad his first few years with Seattle, and I recall hearing Hawk fans say that we should cut him and move on. Once he became a center his career flourished.

Pocic was just as highly rated in college as Unger, and has followed a similar path with the Hawks. I was not at all surprised to see him win the position, just as I won’t be surprised if he develops into a Pro Bowler. He has the tools he needs.