Everyone's blaming Bevell, but......

mrt144

Reaction score
New thread title "Pete, wake up your OC, he's fallen into a daze after being overwhelmed by a stout defense again"

HawkGA

Reaction score
Sports Illustrated:
"I’ve heard or read all the detailed and impassioned defenses of the call—which was made by Seattle offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and approved by Carroll."

I don't think your Sports Illustrated quote is quite the defense of Bevell you seem to think it is.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ka97dgq7 said:
btw, it was 2nd and 20, what good does an inside slant do for 10 yards tops?

Seriously? Man, when you have any big task in front of you, the first step should almost always be to try to break it down into manageable chunks. In a 2nd and 20 situation, the primary objective should be to try to reduce the yardage needed. 10 yds cuts that in half and 3rd and 10, though not ideal, is much more makeable.

3rd and 20+ is much more challenging.

Here is a quote from advancedfootballanalytics.com

Carroll, Parmer, and Thorn, the authors of The Hidden Game of Football, established a measure of football play success in similar terms. In their system, if an offense gains at least 4 yards on 1st down, the play is considered a success. On 2nd down, the play is considered successful if it gains half the remaining distance to the first down marker. And 3rd down is only considered a success if it gains a 1st down. This may sound familiar to some readers because the Football Outsiders blog applies this same system, with limited modifications, in their DVOA scheme.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkGA":1z10ytiz said:
Sports Illustrated:
"I’ve heard or read all the detailed and impassioned defenses of the call—which was made by Seattle offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and approved by Carroll."

I don't think your Sports Illustrated quote is quite the defense of Bevell you seem to think it is.

It's not a defense of Bevell, it's shining a light on the pecking order of how things are run on this football team, and to correct posters who think it was all Bevell's fault we lost the SB.

Simple, yet so very very hard for people to understand apparently.

hawker84

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":avgy2glt said:
HawkGA":avgy2glt said:
Sports Illustrated:

It's not a defense of Bevell, it's shining a light on the pecking order of how things are run on this football team, and to correct posters who think it was all Bevell's fault we lost the SB.

This is the fatal flaw with all you Bevell haters, this is Pete's team. Period.

So what do you say to us Bevell haters, who have no problem calling out the almighty Pete Carroll? Because I agree, it's Pete's team, the state of our offense is absolutely and ultimately his fault. Because he allows and/or encourages Bevell to continue this conservative, bubble screen, read option with a gimpy RW, 7 step drop with no legit tackles, draw play on 2 and 20, BS offense we've been witnessing for all but two games this year.
so yep, you betcha, I absolutely blame Carroll for the state of our offense.

It's not rocket science and I'm certainly not a x's and o's guru by any means. But seems to me, if you lose both your stud RB's, you have one of if not the worst O line in the league, your dual threat QB is gimpy, seems like you'd want to design game plans to hide your weaknesses and utitlize the personnel you have, as well as attack the other teams weakness, not design game plans to enhance your weaknesses and set your personnel for failure, by attacking the other teams strength, which is exactly what Bevell and Carroll did last Sunday.

Sorry, thought I was out, but you guys keep pulling me back in, (said in my best Al Pacino voice)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawker84":2zujxngr said:
So what do you say to us Bevell haters, who have no problem calling out the almighty Pete Carroll? Because I agree, it's Pete's team, the state of our offense is absolutely and ultimately his fault. Because he allows and/or encourages Bevell to continue this conservative, bubble screen, read option with a gimpy RW, 7 step drop with no legit tackles, draw play on 2 and 20, BS offense we've been witnessing for all but two games this year.

I'd commend you for criticizing the correct person if you don't like our playcalling.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
hawker84":1if0sdgo said:
Sgt. Largent":1if0sdgo said:
HawkGA":1if0sdgo said:
Sports Illustrated:

This is the fatal flaw with all you Bevell haters, this is Pete's team. Period.

It's not rocket science and I'm certainly not a x's and o's guru by any means. But seems to me, if you lose both your stud RB's, you have one of if not the worst O line in the league, your dual threat QB is gimpy, seems like you'd want to design game plans to hide your weaknesses and utitlize the personnel you have, as well as attack the other teams weakness, not design game plans to enhance your weaknesses and set your personnel for failure, by attacking the other teams strength, which is exactly what Bevell and Carroll did last Sunday.

Sorry, thought I was out, but you guys keep pulling me back in, (said in my best Al Pacino voice)

I think after reading your discription I would ask what coordinator could take all those problems and make the system productive.

Last game was an outlier that was heavily effected by major penalties at critical times and lots of them. We are still 4-1-1 and only a half game back of the conferance lead and best record in football and if not for a botched gimme field goal we are right with the best of the best.

Bad O-line, no good RB and an injured QB. Even if you had Fitz, Gronk, Edleman and Julio Jones any OC would struggle to get production. Add in 10 drive killing penalties and a top defense in thier house and that sounds pretty near impossible.

Do you really think it would be easy to scheme around all those problems?

If this were a different team you were describing would you be calling out the OC and coach?

mkamodo

Reaction score
Man this simple," let me find a scapegoat for the Huge 1000 lb gorilla cuz it's too scary to look at," is as old as time.
Anti-Bevell delusional seahawk fanboys need to admit our talent is too bad on o-line to get it done. Have a drink and sleep it off, maybe there's next year. K, thx bye .

Ozzy

Reaction score
Delusional Seahawks fans yet you say there is zero chance this year. Sounds reasonable.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Wow, sounds like a very sad person. Calling out people for having hope. Hopefully living in misery gets better for you. :roll:

OUR talent? What position do you play?