Falcons send contingent to scout Penix

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Yep.
Probably wise. People talk they paid Cousins all this money but honestly, Cousins isn't winning anything. He won't win big games. He isn't really a playoff threat.

Kirk is a good QB that isn't great. Serviceable, able to win games in the regular season. But not a guy that will carry a team in the playoffs or even in the regular season. Not a difference maker, just an expensive need to have because 'if you don't have a QB, you don't have a chance'.
But nothing you buy playoff tickets because of. Notice Vikings fans aren't that bothered with losing him. Because Kirk doesn't carry teams.

You want to win in the playoffs, you get someone who carries teams. Penix has shown he carries teams. Even if the comp for Penix is Cousins/Carr, the difference is that Penix makes the throws he has to have...Cousins doesn't. So Atlanta probably had to pull the trigger.

At least 4 teams were likely trying to get Penix if the Falcons try to wait until the 2nd, or even trade down to the 20s.

Scout

Reaction score
They don't trust Cousins which I agree with. What I don't agree with is handing Cousins all that money and also passing on some serious defensive talent on the board.

The Falcons will need to fortify that OL when Penix steps into the lineup sooner or later. Because in the NFCS Evero, Bowles and Allen will send pressure anywhere and everywhere.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The owner probably forced them to get Cousins so they had a QB to sell to the fans. But that guy is a 12 year vet with ONE playoff win.
He won't get another....no matter who you draft.
(That Vikings team was stacked. The weak link was Cousins)
Not trusting Cousins made sense.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Maybe they figure they won't be drafting this high while Cousins is there and they liked how Jordan Love turned out with so much time behind Rodgers. This was their best chance to draft a QBOTF so they took it now.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
What I can't understand is Cousins contract, he has $100m guaranteed that is an awful lot if they pan to start Penix in 2025. The dead cap will significantly reduce the strength of the team overall. If they don't think he will be better than Cousins until 2026 they only get 2 years on his rookie contract after that they lose the benefit of having a rookie QB.

If they were planning on getting Penix I would have thought they would sight Cousins on a 1 year contract or at least 2/3 year contract with much lower guarantees so cutting him at the end of this season isn't so painful.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Atlanta is a train wreck.

If they wanted Penix all along, why pay Cousins a crap ton of money???

And Cousins is already “old” by standards and isn’t and has not ever been “elite.”

It was a waste to pay Cousins and it’s a waste to sit Penix behind Cousins in a sense.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I could see Atlanta wanting to draft Penix for the future but if that is the plan you don’t sign Cousins for $100 million guaranteed you sign either Sam Darnold or Gardner Minshew short term especially with the holes Atlanta has. The Falcons are a rudderless ship I expect the GM to be fired before Penix is the starter

Last edited:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I could see Atlanta wanting to draft Penix for the future but if that is the plan you don’t sign Cousins for $100 million guaranteed you sign either Sam Darnold or Gardner Minshew short term espe with the holes Atlanta has. The Falcons are a rudderless ship I expect the GM to be fired before Penix is the starter
Arthur Blank was shown talking to the GM immediately after they drafted Penix.

Firing the GM right then and there would have been completely justified…