FG Fanpost: Russell Wilson's Six Sacks

JimmyG

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1ira13tu said:
QB play does play a role in sacks. But I’m not going to join the chorus of those who say the QB is mainly responsible. It can be, but with Russ I do not believe that has been the case in the last 3 years. And I guess that’s where I draw the line, I believe people are revising history.
Virtually all scrambling quarterbacks take a lot of sacks. Part of the reason I think it's hard to evaluate scrambling quarterbacks with traditional stats (e.g. passer rating) is that taking a sack is hugely detrimental, but it isn't attributed to a quarterback in the box score.

mikeak

Reaction score
When you roll to the left get pressure but have time to throw away the ball, but then elect to spin back to your right

MULTIPLE TIMES (3?)

with the result that you run into Von Miller

Then you didn't make a good decision after the first time

Now if you have done it for your whole career successfully then it is damn hard to not make that instant decision as you are playing and being chased, still a bad decision but fully reasonable why

mrt144

Reaction score
chris98251":1bev6xg5 said:
Come back routes as I call them or curls should always have the receiver coming to the ball and not waiting on it, everything else pretty much is running away from a defender, one thing about crossing patterns you have to be aware of the space gap between the cover guy and the next slot of coverage so he doesn't step into the passing lane.

Food for thought

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat- ... arterbacks

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I'm currently watching several games. Hopefully NFL uploads the games for these quarterbacks so that you can see how much time Sam Darnold, Mahomes, Big Ben, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers has today

Then many of you might see how utterly ridiculous you sound and that indeed, many of you ARE NOT holding Russell Wilson to a fair standard. Treat Russell the same way every other QB is treated throughout the league, the protection he receives is atrocious. Period.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Scorpion05":mqqfvjlf said:
I'm currently watching several games. Hopefully NFL uploads the games for these quarterbacks so that you can see how much time Sam Darnold, Mahomes, Big Ben, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers has today

Then many of you might see how utterly ridiculous you sound and that indeed, many of you ARE NOT holding Russell Wilson to a fair standard. Treat Russell the same way every other QB is treated throughout the league, the protection he receives is atrocious. Period.

Rodgers movement in the pocket is probably the best in the NFL. he creates more time and more lanes than maybe his OL really provides. He never lets his eyes leave downfield.

What frustrates me with Wilson is he often bails on the pocket early but only in a way that makes a downfield play seemingly impossible. I don't know, maybe the OL gives him no choice. But I'd prefer he just throw it out of bounds at this point.

mikeak

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1el4pcpi said:

Not period. Definitely part of the puzzle though and the majority of the difference

RW goes WAY back out of the pocket. Steps further back than most QBs. That significantly increases the are his OL needs to protect. It also makes it harder to step up as guys gets in from up front easier

IrishNW

Reaction score
I feel like our season depends on Wilson growing as a player

Jville

Reaction score
For linemen and receivers alike, there is definitely more play certainty and less stress by a quarterback that buys time with little pocket movements that are more or less on station.

Quarterbacks that need much more out of pocket / off station space and rangy improv motion are harder on both blockers and receivers. It's a big difference that stop watches alone don't measure.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
AgentDib":3d0zm5h1 said:
Scorpion05":3d0zm5h1 said:
At this point, those with an axe to grind to place most of the blame on Russell will see what they want. Those who won’t even acknowledge that Russ missed a couple throws(like EVERY QB) will see what they want. And fair minded, reasonable folks will see that Wilson had a WHOLE LOT to overcome while trying to keep us in the game.
Sure, there are a few posters actively hating on Russ but it's a very small minority. I think you're missing the reason why a large number of fair minded, reasonable folks may point out that Russ "could have played better" on Sunday to quote Pete Carroll. The entire offense is viewed through the lens of the QB, so analyzing QB play is the first step in analyzing the rest of the offense.

For example, Tyler Lockett had a great TD catch but besides that only caught 2 passes for 8 yards, despite playing on every offensive snap but one. Jaron Brown was in on over half of the snaps and had one catch for 7 yards. Brandon Marshall had 3 catches on 37 snaps. However, the numbers alone tell an incomplete story without knowing how the rest of the offense was functioning. If Russ was missing open receivers then that is a case for optimism about the group going forwards as they continue to build chemistry.

You could view the article in the OP as an attack on Russ if you were so inclined or you could also view it as a defense of the much maligned OL. In my view knowing that Russ didn't get the ball out quickly enough against a good pass rush in Denver is an important first step to better managing another good pass rush on Monday night in Chicago. I agree that still photos can be misleading but that particular conclusion is obvious from watching the game film.

Great post

RCATES

Reaction score
Seahawks with Wilson under center: Where O-lineman come to die. Impossible to pass protect for someone so unpredictable.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
RCATES":28ff0qyx said:
....Impossible to pass protect for someone so unpredictable.
No it isn't. Unless you're an O-line that sucks.

Jville

Reaction score
RCATES":12r1b8nx said:
Seahawks with Wilson under center: Where O-lineman come to die. Impossible to pass protect for someone so unpredictable.

None of the posts you find fault with rely on the crutch of laying blame. Your going to have to get past that to understand the bigger picture of what so many have endeavored to explain.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
ivotuk":b9evxwcu said:
I think Russell had a lot to do with those 6 sacks. The offensive line played decent, actually, they played good considering the 2 elite pass rushers Denver has.

But I think Russell, despite the protection he was afforded during the preseason, fell back in to old habits created during the Tom Cable era, and let his OLine down. And once he got hit, it was harder to break out of the old habits.

He will do better in Chicago.

You're right on the old habits coming back. The O-line did look much-improved.

Will he do better against da Bears? I sure hope so.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
mikeak":1taj1825 said:
Scorpion05":1taj1825 said:

Not period. Definitely part of the puzzle though and the majority of the difference

RW goes WAY back out of the pocket. Steps further back than most QBs. That significantly increases the are his OL needs to protect. It also makes it harder to step up as guys gets in from up front easier

This is a general opinion, and not based on the majority of dropbacks from Wilson

Fact is, more often than not Wilson is pressured in 3 seconds or under. Re-watch the Broncos game and then re-watch the protection other Quarterbacks receive. That's my point. Which makes the comments from several here seem even more ridiculous

Jville

Reaction score
Perhaps some day field survey data (from embedded player chips ..... field cameras ..... ect.) will be more readily organized and distributed via software such that writers can include leverage appraisals as a factor in sacks and hurries and knock downs.

It's reasonable to recognize that a quarterback's influence on leverage is a differentiating factor among quarterbacks. Any emerging ability to quantify it would go a long way toward expanding the scope of future articles on the subject. Until then, leverage factors will not be addressed with the same coverage or certainty as time considerations.

Latest posts