FG: Ifedi unfixable, Jaron Brown a steal

Seymour

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":2jhgxanm said:
Seymour":2jhgxanm said:
hawksincebirth":2jhgxanm said:
I’ll never get the disdain for cable. He had studs here. James carpenter, unger, giacomini,sweezy... don’t we miss that line. And Oakland is avg 5.1 ypc this preseason, but cable sucks

Well I would suggest you look further into his real world stats then....because he absolutely does suck, especially in pass protection! :pukeface:

Also...take notice that Fable's sack rate went DOWN when he got Russell Wilson...not up like some think this is all Wilson's fault! :roll:

So.... if I'm reading this correctly, we were good when we had a good line? Imagine that!

Nope! Even in 2013 when we were good at run blocking, we were dead last in the league in pass protection!! Fable has NEVER been able to protect his QB's, and it's crazy that Wilson survived this incompetent bafoon.

Seymour

Reaction score
Jerhawk":99wgsyqr said:
They need to have a tight end help chip the rusher on Ifedi's side

They could leave "the chipper" in to chip for Ifedi and I doubt it helps. :twisted: :lol:

CUcchnGU8AAC3iU

Chapow

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":1ux5915e said:
Seymour":1ux5915e said:
hawksincebirth":1ux5915e said:
I’ll never get the disdain for cable. He had studs here. James carpenter, unger, giacomini,sweezy... don’t we miss that line. And Oakland is avg 5.1 ypc this preseason, but cable sucks

Well I would suggest you look further into his real world stats then....because he absolutely does suck, especially in pass protection! :pukeface:

Also...take notice that Fable's sack rate went DOWN when he got Russell Wilson...not up like some think this is all Wilson's fault! :roll:

Cable Ranking

So.... if I'm reading this correctly, we were good when we had a good line? Imagine that!

We were good at running the ball when we had Marshawn Lynch in his prime, but never good at pass pro. Pass protection has been bottom 10 in the league every year except the year we managed to be 20th best in the league.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1x21tpwb said:
TwistedHusky":1x21tpwb said:
Hopefully, he can be fixed. Hopefully motivated. The Avril comments give me pause, attitude or lack of effort is going to be a problem if apathy or indolence has set in. But we don't have much choice so we have to hope they can fix him.

Avril's criticized Ifedi regularly since he started his show with Puck. Not a fan of his mindset or attitude.

So while I think we can get by in the run game, cause Ifedi's as big as a house and can maul people in the run game, he continues to be unable (or unwilling) to learn the correct footwork and technique to drop into pass-pro.

Which was his problem Saturday against Ingram. Narrow feet, terrible drops, standing up, etc. That's shizzle you learn in junior high, so I don't know what his problem is.

Seems like he is better suited for guard. That’s usually where maulers work best. I wouldn’t be surprised if they move Ifedi to LG. I think he would be pretty good there plus he would have Brown and Britt to either side of him. Move Pocic to RT.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
He's got bad equilibrium. Regardless of his size and athletic measurables, his balance is that of a drunk.

Generally that's just something you have or you don't.

HawkGA

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2rdq1fpt said:
He's got bad equilibrium. Regardless of his size and athletic measurables, his balance is that of a drunk.

Generally that's just something you have or you don't.

Well, he could try sobriety.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3f1ahtfm said:
Sgt. Largent":3f1ahtfm said:
TwistedHusky":3f1ahtfm said:
Hopefully, he can be fixed. Hopefully motivated. The Avril comments give me pause, attitude or lack of effort is going to be a problem if apathy or indolence has set in. But we don't have much choice so we have to hope they can fix him.

Avril's criticized Ifedi regularly since he started his show with Puck. Not a fan of his mindset or attitude.

So while I think we can get by in the run game, cause Ifedi's as big as a house and can maul people in the run game, he continues to be unable (or unwilling) to learn the correct footwork and technique to drop into pass-pro.

Which was his problem Saturday against Ingram. Narrow feet, terrible drops, standing up, etc. That's shizzle you learn in junior high, so I don't know what his problem is.

Seems like he is better suited for guard. That’s usually where maulers work best. I wouldn’t be surprised if they move Ifedi to LG. I think he would be pretty good there plus he would have Brown and Britt to either side of him. Move Pocic to RT.

Maybe, most people I've heard say Ifedi's too long and tall for guard.............but yes when you have to try to hide the weak link on a line, it's move him to guard.

And I don't think Pocic is athletic or long enough to for tackle, best to keep him inbetween Brown and Britt to solidify the left side. Moving him to RT might make two spots weaker.

So my guess is we're going to see a LOT of Vannett and Dissley tucked inside helping Ifedi.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3aenfwp3 said:
hawkfan68":3aenfwp3 said:
Sgt. Largent":3aenfwp3 said:
TwistedHusky":3aenfwp3 said:

Maybe, most people I've heard say Ifedi's too long and tall for guard.............but yes when you have to try to hide the weak link on a line, it's move him to guard.

And I don't think Pocic is athletic or long enough to for tackle, best to keep him inbetween Brown and Britt to solidify the left side. Moving him to RT might make two spots weaker.

So my guess is we're going to see a LOT of Vannett and Dissley tucked inside helping Ifedi.

Which in turn will get people screaming that we aren't using our TE's as targets for Wilson.

That's why I shake my head every time someone suggests using them to help out our tackles. They don't really want that.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":103jiche said:
Seymour":103jiche said:
hawksincebirth":103jiche said:

Cable Ranking

That's the narrative people adopt when they continue to pound the table for using an entire draft on the offensive line, thinking it will turn Alex McGough into Tom Brady.

But no, you're not reading it correctly. I remember exactly what everyone here thought of the OL back in 2013. Not much. After the Texans game in particular, there was nobody on this board thinking we would win it all that year, and my prediction along those lines was looking perilous. Seattle did not effortlessly steamroll teams on their way to the Lombardi a la Belichick. They scraped and clawed.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
ivotuk":hxfivx89 said:
I'll go with Ray Roberts opinion until it's proven wrong. He says Ifedi has the talent to be a good player, He just needs to unlearn the bad habits he was taught.

Ray Roberts should know considering he was Germain Ifedi in the early 1990’s. Roberts was a Seahawk for 4 years after being a 1st round pick and was a turnstile. It wasn’t until he went to Detroit that he figured it out. Roberts didn’t have Cable as a coach but he was just as terrible as Ifedi, maybe worse. Maybe Ifedi can turn it around like Ray did.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
adeltaY":389acd7g said:
hawksincebirth":389acd7g said:

And the Seahawks were #4 in rushing yards in the preseason last year... it doesn't mean squat. Carp wasn't good with us, he only became good once he left for the Jets. Giacomini was good at run blocking and bad in pass protection, same with Sweezy (who got better in pass pro once he left... wonder why?)

None of those guys were studs. The only stud he had was Unger, who was here before Cable. Okung was pretty good too, and also drafted before Cable got here.

Also, as noted in the FG piece, Ifedi was lost or overmatched on some running plays as well. He hasn't been good in the run game, I'm not sure where that idea came from. More wishcasting than based on evidence. Maybe he was good at run blocking when he was playing guard?

I watched all the pass pro snaps and I "only" counted four pressures given up by Ifedi, three against Ingram. That's not horrific. I think his struggles were overstated, but the reasons behind them laid out in the article, which goes as far to say Ifedi is a lost cause, make me feel really uneasy.
Ifedi is trash we agree there, but we were a more successful offense with those guys then the guys we have had since those left. And I loved carpenter I’d take him all day over ifedi. Giacamini over fant. Also carp has started every game since he’s left. Cable had a line, front office decisions butchered it

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Seymour":36hrxvfz said:
hawksincebirth":36hrxvfz said:

Cable Ranking
If back to back super bowls is what that graph shows I’ll take that over what we have now. You may be right tho, I feel cable gets too much blame imho

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":18wb0kyz said:
hawksincebirth":18wb0kyz said:

It wasn't a coincidence that as soon as Marshawn, Okung and Unger left the line was the worst in the league..........and Cable couldn't fix it.

Also evident that most of they guys you mentioned failed to be productive elsewhere, and some were downright terrible.
How does the o line coach take the blame for that , shouldn’t okung of been resigned, no jimmy trade(unger) then expect cable to coach up guys like George fant ... I don’t think John Madden could of produced a better line with the resources. The front office made the decisions that got us here. IMHO they should take more heat than cable. But your point is fair and you backed it up with stats aswell so touché

Seymour

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":mijjr2dl said:
Seymour":mijjr2dl said:
hawksincebirth":mijjr2dl said:

If back to back super bowls is what that graph shows I’ll take that over what we have now. You may be right tho, I feel cable gets too much blame imho

Doesn't show that IMO. Back to back superbowls happened because we were paying Wilson and Wagner zilch and bought our way in with that extra $30M (highest paid oline in the NFL in 2013 yet still the worst pass protecting line!!) (Notice Philadelphia did the same thing?)

jeremiah

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ba6c7cf said:
I'm not quite ready to give up on Ifedi, not until Solari's had him for a full year to unlearn all the terrible Cable habits.

But this past weekend was the worst I've seen Ifedi look in a long time. I get that Ingram is an All Pro caliber DE, but good god man, Ifedi looked like he had no business even being out there.

We're in big trouble if he or ANYONE can't at least play mediocre at the RT position. Good teams are just going to load up on the right side and kill Russell.

This is the NFL, you can't just run every play to one side of the field because your O-line is terrible on the other.

There was a very critical opinion piece written by a ?former? Seahawk about Ifedi. It didn't state that he was unfixable, just that he needed a year or two more to be able to "get it". Now if the team doesn't have the time or the patience to wait, I can understand this. IMO though, let the process play out. There is no need to panic, put another and better player in his place and teach him, or dump him.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":3pai7g1v said:
Sgt. Largent":3pai7g1v said:
hawksincebirth":3pai7g1v said:

It wasn't a coincidence that as soon as Marshawn, Okung and Unger left the line was the worst in the league..........and Cable couldn't fix it.

Also evident that most of they guys you mentioned failed to be productive elsewhere, and some were downright terrible.
How does the o line coach take the blame for that , shouldn’t okung of been resigned, no jimmy trade(unger) then expect cable to coach up guys like George fant ... I don’t think John Madden could of produced a better line with the resources. The front office made the decisions that got us here. IMHO they should take more heat than cable. But your point is fair and you backed it up with stats aswell so touché

Because it's been known and proven that Cable was the top authority and key member in choosing the oline talent brought in and Pete bought in and gave him the keys to our demise. He personally flew out and interviewed and scouted Ifedi (among others), called Joekel one of the best guards in the NFL last year...ect.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":2sb2gjqy said:
Sgt. Largent":2sb2gjqy said:
hawksincebirth":2sb2gjqy said:

Cable was part of that process that got us this "talent" in the first place. He had a lot of say on the lineman that we brought in. He foolishly believed that he could turn anyone into a quality lineman and he said as much in interviews.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent said:
I'm not quite ready to give up on Ifedi, not until Solari's had him for a full year to unlearn all the terrible Cable habits.

But this past weekend was the worst I've seen Ifedi look in a long time. I get that Ingram is an All Pro caliber DE, but good god man, Ifedi looked like he had no business even being out there.

We're in big trouble if he or ANYONE can't at least play mediocre at the RT position. Good teams are just going to load up on the right side and kill Russell.

If Ifedi doesn't get it by this year I think we need to call this project. He will have been in the NFL for three years by the end of this season. In this time he has not shown us not one iota of progress, in fact he seems to be getting even worse. I've rewatched him several times and he was giving up pressure even with a TE helping him. Ifedi is making the same mistakes lineman make in high school, which baffles my mind. He is bending at the back, not the waste, his footwork reminds me of Bambi on ice, and his usage of hands is pitiful. He is not sinking down and getting the leverage he needs and he is playing off balance. He was literally just thrown the ground by a back up last game. As a tackle he is failure, and needs to be benched until he can demonstrate that he can play. At this point he is a liability in both the run and pass game.

Part of me thinks they should try him out as RG and push Fluker out to RT and see how that works.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":1vkh5spu said:
Sgt. Largent":1vkh5spu said:
hawksincebirth":1vkh5spu said:

Why'd you cut out my last sentence where I said it wasn't all Cable's fault?

I don't blame Cable 100%. Pete and John gave him crap to work with, BUT he certainly had input into who we drafted and acquired, some people say a LOT of input. "Cable guys."

Again, what was expected of him didn't happen, at least not towards the end. In the NFL, that spells goodbye.

I think we're all excited to turn the page and see what Solari and Schottenheimer can do, for better or worse. Hopefully better.