FG: Ifedi unfixable, Jaron Brown a steal

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":246snajm said:
hawksincebirth":246snajm said:
Sgt. Largent":246snajm said:
hawksincebirth":246snajm said:
I’ll never get the disdain for cable. He had studs here. James carpenter, unger, giacomini,sweezy... don’t we miss that line. And Oakland is avg 5.1 ypc this preseason, but cable sucks

It wasn't a coincidence that as soon as Marshawn, Okung and Unger left the line was the worst in the league..........and Cable couldn't fix it.

Also evident that most of they guys you mentioned failed to be productive elsewhere, and some were downright terrible.
How does the o line coach take the blame for that , shouldn’t okung of been resigned, no jimmy trade(unger) then expect cable to coach up guys like George fant ... I don’t think John Madden could of produced a better line with the resources. The front office made the decisions that got us here. IMHO they should take more heat than cable. But your point is fair and you backed it up with stats aswell so touché

Why'd you cut out my last sentence where I said it wasn't all Cable's fault?

I don't blame Cable 100%. Pete and John gave him crap to work with, BUT he certainly had input into who we drafted and acquired, some people say a LOT of input. "Cable guys."

Again, what was expected of him didn't happen, at least not towards the end. In the NFL, that spells goodbye.

I think we're all excited to turn the page and see what Solari and Schottenheimer can do, for better or worse. Hopefully better.
Didn’t mean to my bad, you make valid points.

TasteTheBeastmode

Reaction score
There are just some guys, at the snap of the ball their eyes get wide, the adrenaline flows and they lose the ability to think.

Christine Michael is one of those guys. He is incapable of switching the ball to the outside arm on a run. That's a high school skill and if you asked him he'd tell you that's what he is supposed to do.

Yet he can't do it in live play.

I think Ifedi is one of those guys. I don't think it matters how much coaching he gets or how much time he gets to "unlearn" bad habits. I think he just is what he is.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
We can’t just move everyone inside to guard. Someone has to play RT.

xray

Reaction score
Fant could take Ifedis spot but Brown says that moving from left to right is like a different world to learn....in two weeks? :?:

King Dog

Reaction score
Didn't Fluker used to play RT? Gotta be better than Ifedi. Just put Sweezy at RG and Fluker at RT and be done with it.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1s4pi6k8 said:
hawkfan68":1s4pi6k8 said:
Sgt. Largent":1s4pi6k8 said:
TwistedHusky":1s4pi6k8 said:
Hopefully, he can be fixed. Hopefully motivated. The Avril comments give me pause, attitude or lack of effort is going to be a problem if apathy or indolence has set in. But we don't have much choice so we have to hope they can fix him.

Avril's criticized Ifedi regularly since he started his show with Puck. Not a fan of his mindset or attitude.

So while I think we can get by in the run game, cause Ifedi's as big as a house and can maul people in the run game, he continues to be unable (or unwilling) to learn the correct footwork and technique to drop into pass-pro.

Which was his problem Saturday against Ingram. Narrow feet, terrible drops, standing up, etc. That's shizzle you learn in junior high, so I don't know what his problem is.

Seems like he is better suited for guard. That’s usually where maulers work best. I wouldn’t be surprised if they move Ifedi to LG. I think he would be pretty good there plus he would have Brown and Britt to either side of him. Move Pocic to RT.

Maybe, most people I've heard say Ifedi's too long and tall for guard.............but yes when you have to try to hide the weak link on a line, it's move him to guard.

And I don't think Pocic is athletic or long enough to for tackle, best to keep him inbetween Brown and Britt to solidify the left side. Moving him to RT might make two spots weaker.

So my guess is we're going to see a LOT of Vannett and Dissley tucked inside helping Ifedi.

Britt was on a similar path as Ifedi. Britt was struggling his first two years in the league. It took finding 3 different positions for things to start to click for Britt. Now, he's arguably the 2nd best offensive lineman on the team.

Seymour

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1imuz9mh said:
Sgt. Largent":1imuz9mh said:
hawkfan68":1imuz9mh said:
Sgt. Largent":1imuz9mh said:
Avril's criticized Ifedi regularly since he started his show with Puck. Not a fan of his mindset or attitude.

So while I think we can get by in the run game, cause Ifedi's as big as a house and can maul people in the run game, he continues to be unable (or unwilling) to learn the correct footwork and technique to drop into pass-pro.

Which was his problem Saturday against Ingram. Narrow feet, terrible drops, standing up, etc. That's shizzle you learn in junior high, so I don't know what his problem is.

Seems like he is better suited for guard. That’s usually where maulers work best. I wouldn’t be surprised if they move Ifedi to LG. I think he would be pretty good there plus he would have Brown and Britt to either side of him. Move Pocic to RT.

Maybe, most people I've heard say Ifedi's too long and tall for guard.............but yes when you have to try to hide the weak link on a line, it's move him to guard.

And I don't think Pocic is athletic or long enough to for tackle, best to keep him inbetween Brown and Britt to solidify the left side. Moving him to RT might make two spots weaker.

So my guess is we're going to see a LOT of Vannett and Dissley tucked inside helping Ifedi.

Britt was on a similar path as Ifedi. Britt was struggling his first two years in the league. It took finding 3 different positions for things to start to click for Britt. Now, he's arguably the 2nd best offensive lineman on the team.

Disagree. Brit never showed brain dead tendencies and inability to make progress. And he sure as hell never lead the entire NFL in penalties!

olyfan63

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1mwvr1ip said:
"his footwork reminds me of Bambi on ice"...

Quip of the week! That is exactly what Ifedi looked like vs the Chargers and Ingram in the clips the FG article had.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Seymour":5j4rfgmw said:
hawkfan68":5j4rfgmw said:
Sgt. Largent":5j4rfgmw said:
hawkfan68":5j4rfgmw said:

Disagree. Brit never showed brain dead tendencies and inability to make progress. And he sure as hell never lead the entire NFL in penalties!

Britt wasn't the penalty machine Ifedi is but he was really bad his first two years in the league. He was on his way off the team but they found a role he was better at.

I think penalties can be fixable and now that Solari is coaching Ifedi, that should improve. He's already being benched for his mistakes. So there is accountability that is being enforced now. That is something that wasn't being done with the previous coach.

HawkGA

Reaction score
His problem last week, though, had nothing to do with penalties. He just straight up got beat over and over and over again.

Seymour

Reaction score
HawkGA":ktzl0jsy said:
His problem last week, though, had nothing to do with penalties. He just straight up got beat over and over and over again.

Because he's become mental over the issue and knows without "the jump" he is toast. It is all part of the same issue IMO, too slow, heavy feet and poor focus.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
xray":22gxud4l said:
Fant could take Ifedis spot but Brown says that moving from left to right is like a different world to learn....in two weeks? :?:

Yep, which shows you just how terrible Ifedi's been, the desperation of moving your backup LT to RT after a year coming off a major injury is not a good indicator.

My hope is we sign a veteran tackle after final cuts that can at least JUST NOT SUCK.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm on board with looking for a replacement in cut downs but some of you underestimate how much worse it could get. Ifedi plays fine on the majority of snaps, good on a few of them, and terribly on some of them.

For example, here's a clip from the last game where Ifedi controls his man for 5+ seconds while Duane Brown and DJ Fluker both allow pressures.
[youtube]NLiNp6eQ9EU[/youtube]

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3m1tfrk3 said:
xray":3m1tfrk3 said:

Yep, which shows you just how terrible Ifedi's been, the desperation of moving your backup LT to RT after a year coming off a major injury is not a good indicator.

My hope is we sign a veteran tackle after final cuts that can at least JUST NOT SUCK.

This is the big fallacy seen on fan boards everywhere. The NFL has not enough decent tackles to start on 32 teams. Just like there are not enough decent QB's to go around. So there won't be anyone available at cuts that will be decent. They will all be bad and you will complain about them just like Ifedi.

The best hope is that there is someone decent on the roster right now. Fant and Battle will get an opportunity to show it. If not, Ifedi is the man and we better accept that. No roster cut OT is going to be worth anything.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1sazdca4 said:
TwistedHusky":1sazdca4 said:
Hopefully, he can be fixed. Hopefully motivated. The Avril comments give me pause, attitude or lack of effort is going to be a problem if apathy or indolence has set in. But we don't have much choice so we have to hope they can fix him.

Which program was cliff on talking about this? Would love to listen to it. I think Jones would be starting if he wasn't hurt but I agree with the author, he really shouldn't be playing right now. I'm worried he is going to be broken mentally if he keeps getting run out there.

Seymour

Reaction score
austinslater25":39vq2xmp said:
Sgt. Largent":39vq2xmp said:
TwistedHusky":39vq2xmp said:

Which program was cliff on talking about this? Would love to listen to it. I think Jones would be starting if he wasn't hurt but I agree with the author, he really shouldn't be playing right now. I'm worried he is going to be broken mentally if he keeps getting run out there.

Avril talks about him pretty regularly on Sports radio 950 AM. He's on right now in fact.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Sure wish that Ifedi would grow a pair and start competing in games like he belongs in the league.

Pathetic.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2yldq4g4 said:
Sgt. Largent":2yldq4g4 said:
xray":2yldq4g4 said:

This is the big fallacy seen on fan boards everywhere. The NFL has not enough decent tackles to start on 32 teams. Just like there are not enough decent QB's to go around. So there won't be anyone available at cuts that will be decent. They will all be bad and you will complain about them just like Ifedi.

The best hope is that there is someone decent on the roster right now. Fant and Battle will get an opportunity to show it. If not, Ifedi is the man and we better accept that. No roster cut OT is going to be worth anything.

That's how we got Battle, he was cut by the Rams on final cutdowns, picked up by the Chiefs etc etc.

Of course it's not going to be a #1 starter perfectly healthy, but each year teams release O-lineman on final cutdowns due to salary, age, injury issues.....or all of the above.

That's my point, someone's castoff might be better than Fant or Ifedi, that's how bad it is IMO.