Field Temp for Chargers game.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Melencause":fhg1pqci said:
HawkFan72":fhg1pqci said:
Roland is going to believe it was a nice, sunny day to play football no matter what anyone tells him.

This^^. The poor guy has entrenched himself like its 1916's Europe.
Won't admit to being wrong about the heat absorbing dark colors, vs. the heat reflective whites.
The FACTS are elementary, and very basic science.

Largent80

Reaction score
The heat wave is finally over, it was just the perfect storm for a loss, but man, it's only gonna be 80 here today and it is OK with me !!!!

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I have no dog in the "heat was the determining factor in the loss" controversy (seriously?).

However, I have scientific questions about the ambient temperature versus the "field temperature" measurement. How were these measurements taken? What was the equipment used? Was the equipment shaded from the sun? What was the real effect of ground heat absorption and transmission?

The hottest temperature recorded on earth is 134 F in Death Valley a hundred years ago.

I get that it was hot. But 147 F? I've been to some of the hottest places on earth and none of them approached this temperature.

Largent80

Reaction score
I think in the discussion(not a controversy) there were many who were there, and one who wasn't.

Everyone there said it was extremely hot and it had an adverse effect on us and the team, that is it.

For me, these are the last words I type about it.

wanderinghawk

Reaction score
I live down here near San Diego and it was way hotter and a lot more humidity than normal. Matter of fact I can't remember the last time it was that hot and humid here. Not saying that's why they lost but it was terrible

ringless

Reaction score
The recorded high for the day was 94 or so.... So now we are saying the field temperature was 46 degrees above lol? For a minute I though I was on denialzone

King Dog

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":32t472cr said:
Vetamur":32t472cr said:
This is one thing that is really bothering me, too. Who the hell's job is it to make sure our guys stay properly hydrated, and also properly hydrate prior to the game starting?.
I believe this is still our hydration engineer.
BJnn1sD

mrblitz

Reaction score
chargers had a lot of drive. maybe it was at least partially the heat. seahawks should look into having a 'light' 'dark uniform'... a 'dark uniform' so light that the league might even complain. then maybe dial it back a notch. like, what if they had 'sky blue' 'dark uniforms' for days like that? gotta go with something other than the 'midnight blue' in those conditions.

Mick063

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread:

Each defensive player received three IV's against San Diego. Unless you live and work there, your body is "shocked" from the atypical environment.

Check out OSHA definitions for acclimatization to hot working conditions. It takes two weeks of sustained exposure (time weighted average over eight hour working day) for the body to adjust. Until that acclimatization adjustment is achieved, a defined work/rest regimen is required. Further, wet bulb measurements, core body temperature measurements, and pulse rate monitoring are recommended because other factors (age, weight, general health) are variable.

The Seahawk defense did not meet the OSHA definition of acclimatization.

https://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/otm_i ... iii_4.html

Some snippets from the link:

*However, even the type of clothing worn must be considered.

*The human body can adapt to heat exposure to some extent. This physiological adaptation is called acclimatization. After a period of acclimatization, the same activity will produce fewer cardiovascular demands. The worker will sweat more efficiently (causing better evaporative cooling), and thus will more easily be able to maintain normal body temperatures.

*Every worker who works in extraordinary conditions that increase the risk of heat stress should be personally monitored. These conditions include wearing semipermeable or impermeable clothing when the temperature exceeds 21°C (69.8°F), working at extreme metabolic loads (greater than 500 kcal/hour), etc.

dutchman063

Reaction score
yeah we know... this team is a bunch of poosies when it gets hot... next time dont suit up... problem solved...next

Mick063

Reaction score
bmorepunk":228ngekv said:

This is lousy debate but indicative of our culture in general. I don't hold it personally against you. It is a just one fashionable example (of many). If you can't defeat the argument, then baseless attack is called for (not directed specifically at you, but at society in general). It is one reason we are headed toward great decline. The wide spread acceptance of baseless argument.

Mick063

Reaction score
dutchman063":1nr9njs4 said:
yeah we know... this team is a bunch of poosies when it gets hot... next time dont suit up... problem solved...next

*The human body can adapt to heat exposure to some extent. This physiological adaptation is called acclimatization. After a period of acclimatization, the same activity will produce fewer cardiovascular demands. The worker will sweat more efficiently (causing better evaporative cooling), and thus will more easily be able to maintain normal body temperatures.

I have worked my entire life in triple digit summers (Tri-Cities). Much of it at extreme metabolic loads. I am very experienced in dealing with heat stress through occupational exposure. It is how/why I have been educated in the subject. I know from first hand experience that acclimatization is very real.