Final Madden Cover Vote - Sherman vs. Newton

hoxrox

Reaction score
A brief look back at the 'Madden Curse':

1999 - Garrison Hearst

Hearst had three 1,000-yard seasons including 1,570 yards in 1998, making him the first player to be featured on the Madden cover.

He broke his ankle that year, badly, which caused him to miss the following two seasons. Hearst was never the same. And the curse was born.

2000 - Barry Sanders and Dorsey Levens

Sanders earned the honor, which oddly enough, was followed by his very abrupt retirement.

Levens replaced him on the cover and wound up injuring his knee. The Packers missed the postseason and Levens never started again.

2001 - Eddie George

Despite having a career year in the regular season, George's most infamous play happened in 2001; the bobbled reception in the flat which was intercepted by Ray Lewis for a pick-six, ending the Titans' postseason.

George spent the next year injured and never returned to form.

2002 - Daunte Culpepper

After leading the league in passing touchdowns in 2001, the Vikings went 4-7 the following year before Culpepper sustained a season-ending injury.

2003 - Marshall Faulk

After posting seven 1,000-yard seasons up to that point, Faulk failed to play out the entire season, nagged by an ankle injury.

He didn't reach the milestone 1K mark, nor did he break double-digit touchdowns.

2004 - Michael Vick

Michael Vick went 11-4 with the Falcons the year before.

After landing on the cover, he never led an NFL team to an above .500 record in a full season.

2005 - Ray Lewis

The Ravens went 9-7 and failed to make the playoffs for the first time in four years.

Lewis finished the year on the bench with a torn hamstring.

2006 - Donovan McNabb

In Week 1 of the season, McNabb sustained a sports hernia.

He played through the pain for as long as he could, until opting for surgery, which ended his season.

2007 - Shaun Alexander

Following a record-setting season on the ground, Alexander would break his foot in Week 3.

He missed six games before returning, but was never the same again.

2008 - Vince Young

Young played five games before injuring his quadriceps.

The next year Young sustained a knee injury that kept him out for most of the season.

2009 - Brett Favre

Favre was in retirement when he made the cover.

He returned as a New York Jet and played well until he tore his bicep.

2010 - Larry Fitzgerald and Troy Polamalu

Polamalu sustained an MCL sprain in the season opener, while Fitzgerald had a strong year, until a rib injury caused him to miss the postseason.

2011 - Drew Brees

The Saints had a tremendous year, returning to the postseason in style.

However, their season was trampled in heartbreaking fashion when they lost to the underdog Seattle Seahawks, highlighted by a touchdown run by Marshawn Lynch.

2012 - Peyton Hillis

After an encouraging debut with the Browns, Hillis endured several injuries the following year and proved to be a one-hit wonder.

2013 - Calvin Johnson

"Megatron" might be the one player to avoid the curse, having another monster season with 122 receptions and 1,964 yards.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hoxrox, that is just ridiculous.

"Player X made cover, then suffered a hangnail presumably leading to four less touchdowns scored per game. Cursed."

Basically how half of that list reads. God, you guys are killin' me.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I want him on the cover. It is awesome to have a team that is actually relevant in the NFL news world. And after a SuperBowl MVP Russell Wilson could be on the cover next year.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Its funny how 49ers fans are "celebrating" Kaepernick's defeat in the semifinals to Sherman (sound familiar) by citing the Madden curse BS

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Curses, so fricken lame. Guys get hurt BECAUSE THEY PLAY FOOTBALL, not because they are on a cover of a video game :roll:

Cartire

Reaction score
Seriously. Who called the fun police. I honestly dont think anyone thinks there is an actual magical force causing the curse. I think the curse is just cited because of the awesome coincidences that comes from it. The madden curse is a thing, created by the observers of the coorelation. That is all.

I bet a lot of you guys here are the life of all the parties. :roll:

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Here's another way to look at it...

What are the respective ages of all the cover athletes?

minormillikin

Reaction score
Cartire":1l1doqsw said:
Seriously. Who called the fun police. I honestly dont think anyone thinks there is an actual magical force causing the curse. I think the curse is just cited because of the awesome coincidences that comes from it. The madden curse is a thing, created by the observers of the coorelation. That is all.

This times a million.

There are two types of people* here-- those who find the "Madden Curse" an amusing oddity, and those that ARE SO MAD THAT ANYONE BELIEVES IN THE CURSE! No one actually believes in it ... it's just a fun little game. It's like exaggerating details about Lincoln and Kennedy to make them seem cosmically connected.

Relax Roland and minions... :thirishdrinkers:

*There are two types of people: Those who categorize people, and those who do not!

chawx

Reaction score
The best part is, people who believe in the curse are actually voting FOR Sherman assuming that will make him get hurt next year. lol ...Does "haters gonna hate" apply? Or is it more like, "haters gonna help"?

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
minormillikin":2cytj6t8 said:
Cartire":2cytj6t8 said:

This times a million.

There are two types of people* here-- those who find the "Madden Curse" an amusing oddity, and those that ARE SO MAD THAT ANYONE BELIEVES IN THE CURSE! No one actually believes in it ... it's just a fun little game. It's like exaggerating details about Lincoln and Kennedy to make them seem cosmically connected.

*There are two types of people: Those who categorize people, and those who do not!

Except that 'curse!" people (henceforth known as "Cursers") are actively voting against sherman getting on the cover. Who's ruining the fun now? Lame Cursers! Show us the Curse Certificate.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
minormillikin":24w04x82 said:
Cartire":24w04x82 said:

This times a million.

Um, no offense, but you're wrong and so is Cartire. People were actually arguing that there was some sort of causative effect of getting on the Madden cover and voting against Sherman. I think it's THOSE people that are getting bitched at because they are sabotaging one of our own players with their superstitious beliefs.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Richard Sherman ‏@RSherman_25 2m
Honored to be in the finals of #MaddenCover vote. Winning this isn't for me... it's for the 12th Man and this team! http://es.pn/1nvYRKS

Everyone voting against sherman is voting against the 12s! TRAITORS.

chawx

Reaction score
Hawknballs":10p8qefk said:
Richard Sherman ‏@RSherman_25 2m
Honored to be in the finals of #MaddenCover vote. Winning this isn't for me... it's for the 12th Man and this team! http://es.pn/1nvYRKS

Everyone voting against sherman is voting against the 12s! TRAITORS.

[youtube]mFEzW1Z6TRM[/youtube]

Don't you put that evil on us, Ricky Sherman! hehe (for all the "Cursers" out there)

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Yeah, for what it's worth I would obviously think it was fine if people were making tongue-in-cheek jokes about the curse if they didn't really believe in it - and I'm sure it's true that some are doing that - but there's no chance that all of the people arguing for it in the prior thread were just kidding around. There's definitely real belief for it out of some of these people, which is insane.

seanutz

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2lbxu009 said:
Couldn't care less if he gets on there or not. However, the thought of millions of households having a video game with a guy that MANY of them hate on the cover? Very nice :)
:49ersmall: :0190l:

Latest posts