First game in 30 years - tailgating and pre-game suggestions

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
The first, and only, time I've ever attended a home Seahawks game was Dec. 24th, 1983, when the Seahawks played the Broncos in the Wild Card game Elway's rookie season. Very memorable game, especially for me since I was just a teenager and didn't realize it would be another 30 years before I'd have the opportunity to attend a home game.

I live in Austin and I'm flying up with a buddy of mine for the MNF game - we bought our tickets months ago and we sure picked a good one. Anyway, I would like to find out what kinds of game-day activities we can expect to see. I see that the game starts at 5:30 and the stadium opens around 3:30, so it's not a traditional game time for most home games.

I know that there are some good eats around the stadium, and we may check out Pyramid brewery earlier for lunch and then stay in the area to soak in the atmosphere. If anyone has suggestions, or would like to invite a couple of out-of-towners that they've never met to drop by their tailgate, just send me a PM and let me know what kind of beer you like :)

We'll be easy to spot. We'll be the ones decked out in Seahawks gear. ;)

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Sunday night some of the friendlier members of .NET and I will be gathering at some bar to shoot the shit.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
Tailgating is a bit of hit or miss on Sundays and for a MNF it'll be worse. The folks who do tailgate will be out in the various alleys and random lots, as there is no tailgating per se in the main North Lot or parking garages that are part of the stadium complex.

IMHO your best bet is to find a good friendly watering hole within walking distance -- like Temple Billiards -- and pregame there.

Pyramid is a reasonably good choice too and they have decent food.

Tons of great food in the International District as well.

OP
OP
Austin Hawk

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
We have end zone seats (east/south?), about 20 rows up I think.

As far as our flight, I've taken that Alaska Airlines flight before, but my buddy booked this flight and I think it's Frontier or some such, and I think there is a layover. Jet Blue advertised a non-stop Austin to Seattle years ago but apparently it never worked out - real bummer.

Too bad that there is not much tailgating in the main lots, but we'll be in the area all day walking around, so we'll be sure to check all the alleys, etc :)

86Hawk

Reaction score
If you plan on driving to the stadium make sure you leave early. Traffic on Monday night games is a nightmare. It also might snow. Just a heads up. I usually hit up safeco field prior to the game. Great food and 5 dollar beer. Mannys on tap. Lots of cool places around pioneer square as well. :thirishdrinkers:

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
How is 5 dollar beer something that is worth talking about. Unless it is a 30 ounce glass, at that price you might as well buy it at the stadium.

86Hawk

Reaction score
cockeyhawk":11z59lch said:
How is 5 dollar beer something that is worth talking about. Unless it is a 30 ounce glass, at that price you might as well buy it at the stadium.
I didn't say it was a good deal. Dudes wondering what different things there are to do before the game. That's what I do before the game. Don't like it. Too bad. :x

OP
OP
Austin Hawk

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
Last night was awesome! My buddy and I were overwhelmed with the game day atmosphere, and getting to meet a few .NETters and hang with Aros at Temple was the perfect way to set out for the game. Couldn't have picked a better game than this to break my 30 year dry spell!

Definitely want to make this an annual trip now. I'm expecting a lot of turbulence on the flight home because of all the excitement. But you won't hear me screaming because my voice is nearly gone.

RiverDog

Reaction score
cockeyhawk":39cjwxtl said:

It's $8 in the stadium. $4-$5 for a 16 oz glass is what you can expect at most decent pubs for a good microbrew nowadays.

It's a day too late for Game Day advice, but I always recommend that visiting fans stay near the airport and take light rail to the stadium district.