Fitz leaving Cards?

Maulbert

Reaction score
hawknation2015":zo8mniym said:
Maulbert":zo8mniym said:
joeseahawks":zo8mniym said:
Why is Larry Fitz. overpaid? I don't understand it ...

Certainly overpaid in the sense that all athletes are overpaid. Fitz is still a top 5 receiver.

His cap hit is nearly twice as much as the 5th highest paid WR.

At the time he signed that deal, who else on that team would you have committed money to?

seatt1eslew

Reaction score
The overwhelming statistical evidence would suggest he has not been a top 5 WR since 2011 when the likes of Kolb and Skelton were throwing him the rock. It's not like Palmer and company are much different, but Fitz is only averaging 55 yards/game the last three years.

Not top 5 anymore. Top 5 red zone threat? Maybe. But not worth 10M which is likely what he expects.

Maulbert

Reaction score
seatt1eslew":2xau2w3y said:
The overwhelming statistical evidence would suggest he has not been a top 5 WR since 2011 when the likes of Kolb and Skelton were throwing him the rock. It's not like Palmer and company are much different, but Fitz is only averaging 55 yards/game the last three years.

Not top 5 anymore. Top 5 red zone threat? Maybe. But not worth 10M which is likely what he expects.

I'm not denying he is NOT going to get that money, but the only reason his stats are down is because of who has been throwing him the ball and how Arians has been using him.

seatt1eslew

Reaction score
Maulbert":1lt4xnra said:
seatt1eslew":1lt4xnra said:

I'm not denying he is NOT going to get that money, but the only reason his stats are down is because of who has been throwing him the ball and how Arians has been using him.

Maybe how Arians is using him. I think his QBs are better than 2010 and 2011 with Kolb, Skelton and Anderson, so the current QBs are less of an issue than play calling apparently. Play calling that will not differ much in Seattle.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I believe that most professional athletes (NFL, MLB, NBA, ...) are underpaid. These sport generate so much money, stating that the people who actually are responsible for this are overpaid is simply ridiculous. When I think of all those college players, who receive almost nothing while entertaining us ...
Maulbert":cpslj34w said:
joeseahawks":cpslj34w said:
Certainly overpaid in the sense that all athletes are overpaid. Fitz is still a top 5 receiver.

chris98251

Reaction score
joeseahawks":r8ddsv60 said:
I believe that most professional athletes (NFL, MLB, NBA, ...) are underpaid. These sport generate so much money, stating that the people who actually are responsible for this are overpaid is simply ridiculous. When I think of all those college players, who receive almost nothing while entertaining us ...
Maulbert":r8ddsv60 said:
joeseahawks":r8ddsv60 said:

Pity that nobody told these athletes that get a scholarship to be educated and play a game they love that approximately .001 percent of them will make a living as a professional playing their game

That the value of a scholarship depending on school is a payment.

But soon you will be paying larger sums to go to college games and many schools will fold their programs because of cost, cost to pay players and coaches if the new ideas come full circle and the college players will being paid for services. Or they lose the scholarships and they are replaced with a flat fee per game or pay by quarter or whether they are active or not.

kearly

Reaction score
Even when Palmer was healthy the last two seasons, Fitzgerald has never really been a factor for Arizona. He was a non-factor in 2012 as well, albeit with terrible QBs. He was an elite WR in 2011, with the same terrible QBs as 2012.

I know this is stupid, but I remember Wilson having instant chemistry with Fitzgerald in that 2012-2013 pro-bowl and wondered "what if". Fitzgerald was coming off a pretty crappy season and only got in the pro-bowl on his name brand that year, but he looked elite again with Wilson throwing to him. But yeah, that was three years ago in a meaningless fake football game.

Seattle was willing to acquire Vincent Jackson after a paycut. It was rumored that Seattle was willing to pay $7 million per year for Jackson. I would guess they'd have a similar number in mind for Fitzgerald. I think both are comparable receivers heading into 2015.

I'd prefer Andre Johnson over either of those guys if he becomes available.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":3bs9qik8 said:
Even when Palmer was healthy the last two seasons, Fitzgerald has never really been a factor for Arizona. He was a non-factor in 2012 as well, albeit with terrible QBs. He was an elite WR in 2011, with the same terrible QBs as 2012.

I know this is stupid, but I remember Wilson having instant chemistry with Fitzgerald in that 2012-2013 pro-bowl and wondered "what if". Fitzgerald was coming off a pretty crappy season and only got in the pro-bowl on his name brand that year, but he looked elite again with Wilson throwing to him. But yeah, that was three years ago in a meaningless fake football game.

Seattle was willing to acquire Vincent Jackson after a paycut. It was rumored that Seattle was willing to pay $7 million per year for Jackson. I would guess they'd have a similar number in mind for Fitzgerald. I think both are comparable receivers heading into 2015.

I'd prefer Andre Johnson over either of those guys if he becomes available.

I can't see Fitzgerald taking $7 million -- literally half as much as he would likely get out of a restructure. You would think Arizona would be more than willing to restructure for at least $14 million, given that they would lose that amount in dead money by releasing him.

chris98251

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1pyki333 said:
I'm so glad we don't do stupid contracts like that.

Anymore.......................

There, now it's correct.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Fitz is a true professional that would fit in any locker room. The question is would he be willing to take a big pay cut in order to play for us? It's a long shit but you just never know.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
chris98251":2trjky3k said:
RolandDeschain":2trjky3k said:
I'm so glad we don't do stupid contracts like that.

Anymore.......................

There, now it's correct.
Well, yeah. I thought it was pretty obvious I was referring to the Pete Carroll (or 'Messiah') era of Seahawks football. :lol:

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2pjmzmog said:
I can't see Fitzgerald taking $7 million -- literally half as much as he would likely get out of a restructure. You would think Arizona would be more than willing to restructure for at least $14 million, given that they would lose that amount in dead money by releasing him.

Based on his performance the last three years he would probably deserve less than Doug Baldwin money, but I agree, some team will pony up for the name brand the same way the Broncos did for Demarcus Ware or Green Bay did for Julius Peppers. I don't think Fitz will end up a Hawk unless he takes a bargain deal for a ring.

ringless

Reaction score
Darren Urban @Cardschatter
That would be a good sign MT @foxsports910: .@mikejurecki on #Fitz: "Positive movement in BOTH parties regarding the Fitzgerald situation."

One of the biggest issues Fitz had was his role didn't allow for big numbers. Arians asked him to come in and play more of a Hines Ward type role and Fitz has to block LB's down field on a lot of plays, in addition he was switched to the slot. I think if the deal gets done it will also be because the FO told Arians that he is going to have to allow Fitz to play in the position he spent his whole career. Fitz is 31 years old and we have seen a lot of receivers in the past excel well past that, their shelf life is a lot longer than a RB.

This contract was from the Rod Graves era, and now that Keim has taken over we have made a lot of team friendly contracts and gotten some great deals. I think our FO is on par with Seattles at this time in the way contracts are being handled. We just have to get past the contracts holding us back. For example we are still paying Levi Brown 7 million this year.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ringless":2v6ymgjr said:
Darren Urban @Cardschatter
That would be a good sign MT @foxsports910: .@mikejurecki on #Fitz: "Positive movement in BOTH parties regarding the Fitzgerald situation."

I think our FO is on par with Seattles at this time in the way contracts are being handled. We just have to get past the contracts holding us back. For example we are still paying Levi Brown 7 million this year.

the Carson Palmer contract states otherwise...

honestly, if Arizona turns to paying a 31 year old WR big money, in this division, they are dooming themselves.

Fitz is great, but needs a role player contract.

ringless

Reaction score
Carson Palmer was 6-0 and had the 9th highest QBR before tearing his ACL which nobody could have known was going to happen.

He was extended through the 2017 season with only 20 million guaranteed. The contract itself was a good deal. It is yet to see how it truly plays out.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ringless":30lizvf5 said:
Carson Palmer was 6-0 and had the 9th highest QBR before tearing his ACL which nobody could have known was going to happen.

He was extended through the 2017 season with only 20 million guaranteed. The contract itself was a good deal. It is yet to see how it truly plays out.

Carson Palmer is 35, has had two major injuries (prior to this one) and lifetime QBR of around 86...

you think thats a sound investment at 20 million a year? I mean he has been a very good QB (at times), but again, he's 35 and not Peyton Manning or Tom Brady

part of having a strong FO is knowing when to cut bait on aging players. While he was successful this year, he had yet to play his own division (until his injury)

whats the cap hit on the Cardinals if they cut him?

Largent80

Reaction score
I would say that with Sherm being close personal friends with Fitz. he very well could end up in Hawk colors.

ringless

Reaction score
Uncle Si":bzdphvgh said:
ringless":bzdphvgh said:

Carson Palmer is 35, has had two major injuries (prior to this one) and lifetime QBR of around 86...

you think thats a sound investment at 20 million a year? I mean he has been a very good QB (at times), but again, he's 35 and not Peyton Manning or Tom Brady

part of having a strong FO is knowing when to cut bait on aging players. While he was successful this year, he had yet to play his own division (until his injury)

whats the cap hit on the Cardinals if they cut him?

Where do you get 20 million a year from? 20 million guaranteed over 3 years.... Up to 50 million which he won't be getting. I'm assuming you don't quite grasp how contracts work. Here is the breakdown

2015: His base salary drops to $1 million but he’ll earn a $9.5 million roster bonus, which he’ll earn on the fifth day of the 2015 league year. His cash earnings will be $10.5 million, fully guaranteed.

2016: Palmer’s base salary of $6.35 million and roster bonus of $6.35 million will be fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the league year.

2017: Palmer does not have a roster bonus this year, but his base salary of $8.15 million is, again, fully guaranteed on fifth day of league year.

That is very very cheap for the production, I don't see the issue here, there is no reason to cut him. You mention his career QB rating but fail to mention the teams he played on. When he had receivers he put up good numbers, as he was showing this year. You are looking to much into what is in front of you, instead of the variables.