Florio: Will 9ers make a play on Brady

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Maulbert":3msjcske said:
Too Marv and Popeye, I do agree that giving up Jimmy G for a 43 year old Brady is dumb, but just an honest question, last year when the ABSURD rumors started flying that Russ wanted New York, while I doubt you believed them, was there some small part of you deep inside that hoped it was true?

I 100% agree with your premise (life for the 9ers, Rams, and Cards would OBVIOUSLY be easier without Wilson in the division), but for me personally, bizarrely, not really?

As I've gotten older and watched my favorite team rise and fall over the last three and a half decades I oddly just don't care about winning nearly as much?

Don't get me wrong, it's insanely frustrating to be rooting for a team playing against him (just because so much of his brilliance is in pulling things out of his @ss and making what should be the improbable fairly routine), but I'm at a point where I think I might prefer good and entertaining football to easier victories?

Like you, I found those rumors absolutely absurd, but even if they were true I think he's fun to watch, so I kinda like him being in the NFCW even if him not being in it would be better for my team. :lol:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":5bb03mlo said:
Florio doubles down on his rumor:

Then came more recent developments, with Deion Sanders talking about Brady to San Fran on Sunday and Peter King writing about it on Monday and Simms and me kicking it around on Monday and Tom Curran giving real credence to the 49ers as an alternative to what otherwise seems to be a Patriots or Titans proposition for Brady. Next comes Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald, who reports in response to Curran’s Tuesday comments that he “might be onto something.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ing-steam/

So according to Florio this thing is worth taking seriously for the following reason:

(1) Florio fills the slow part of the offseason with a dumb thing
(2) Sanders picks up what Florio put down
(3) Peter King says Sanders and Florio are being silly
(4) Florio and Simms fill time by saying Florio wasn't being silly.
(5) Curran takes Florio's idea sorta seriously.

So according to Florio other reporters having acknowledged Florio is evidence for Florio.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :lol:

bigskydoc

Reaction score
source.gif

Sure, Brady to the Niners would be great for us, but I have an awful feeling about the flip side of this "trade."* JG is better than most folks here give him credit. I just have this nagging feeling that, paired up with Bellichick, JG would go on to be very successful.

*Most of the rumors that I have read have JG going to NE if the Niners "win" the Brady lottery

Marvin49

Reaction score
The Niners and the Patriots swapping Brady and Jimmy G would be a great move...

...for the Patriots. THATS why I think this has legs in the media.

If Tom is leaving anyway, this would represent the Patriots media and fandom getting back an asset they once coveted. IMO, this ain't about the Niners. This is about a narrative that gives the Patriots a young QB. Its being sold as "wow, the Niners would be much better with Brady". No, they wouldn't.

This is why Boston reporters are getting on this bandwagon. OF COURSE the Patriots would be interested.

NOT. GONNA. HAPPEN.

Sorry Pats, yer guy is leaving. If not this year than soon after and you can return to the abyss from whence you came. Nobody is bailing you out.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":6qnu3tfi said:

Yep.

And I 100% agree with all your reasons above, but you left out maybe a big one too because despite how obvious it is it's also a little contentious:

Jimmy, coming off an ACL and in his first season as a starter, was both statistically and by eye test (IMO) a substantively better QB than Tom Brady last year.

To have this conversation we need to be able to talk about that part.

Jimmy is FAR from a perfect QB and Tom Brady is the best QB of all time, but to run the experiment we're talking about 44 year old Tom Brady, not best-qb-of-all-time Tom Brady.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade Jimmy for Brady because of age, obviously.

But at the same time, the Niners offense was generally excellent last year while the Patriots offense was generally, well, not excellent - and from what I saw from both teams, I don't give much credit either way to the QBs.

It's never as simple as saying look at the stats or overall production of the offense - if you plug Brady into the Niners offense it most likely does get better. But I don't think it would be better enough to make up for the age difference.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Brady wouldn't need to be traded for, they could just outright sign him, then deal Jimmy G to whoever they got the most from.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1jmgqm8q said:
Marvin49":1jmgqm8q said:

Yep.

And I 100% agree with all your reasons above, but you left out maybe a big one too because despite how obvious it is it's also a little contentious:

Jimmy, coming off an ACL and in his first season as a starter, was both statistically and by eye test (IMO) a substantively better QB than Tom Brady last year.

To have this conversation we need to be able to talk about that part.

Jimmy is FAR from a perfect QB and Tom Brady is the best QB of all time, but to run the experiment we're talking about 44 year old Tom Brady, not best-qb-of-all-time Tom Brady.

Jimmy was better. It would be very difficult to really argue otherwise. You could also argue the career trajectory.

I have, however, been trying to make this point here: REGARDLESS of whether you think Jimmy is a really good QB or not, the move makes no sense whatsoever unless you are...

a) Tom Brady
b) The Patriots

Its like there is this assumption that the Niners will be idiotic and make a stupid decision that will benefit the Patriots because...well, they are the Patriots and we all have to bow down to their greatness.

I mean while were at it, lets just send the Pats Nick Bosa for a 7th round pick.

Marvin49

Reaction score
2_0_6":ffwa7cob said:
Brady wouldn't need to be traded for, they could just outright sign him, then deal Jimmy G to whoever they got the most from.

I think the idea, as moronic as it sounds, is that the 49ers sign Brady and trade Jimmy to NE.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Seeing Brady play for Santa Clara would truly suck. One guy is one of the best we have ever seen, the other STILL hasn't proven he can get it done with the game on the line.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1hznwk7z said:
Seeing Brady play for Santa Clara would truly suck. One guy is one of the best we have ever seen, the other STILL hasn't proven he can get it done with the game on the line.

LOL.

OK.

1) One guy has played ONE NFL season and was in the SB. He's 28.
2) The other guy just had one of his worst NFL seasons statistically at the age of 42.

I really don't know why this is complicated.

"STILL" hasn't proven. LOL. It really amazes me what the expectation is on him. How many QBs with the number of starts he currently has HAVE proven it?

This entire "rumor" is asinine.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3pgso5xc said:
Yeah, because Jimmy G is such a clutch QB :?

Yeah....its not like he's had more than ONE chance to prove on the biggest stage he isn't. Its not like he threw an INT at the 2 on that same stage and clutched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Please.

Dude is a developing QB. Giving that up for a 43 year old QB who just played one of his worst seasons is beyond stupid.

This is my prob with the entire Jimmy G narrative.

Why do people assume that a guy with about a season and a half of game action is a finished product?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You can have your opinion and I'll have mine. Jimmy G still has a ton to prove. I'm glad he plays for the Niners and I hope he continues to.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Soulfish, if Brady came to the 9ers I'd be really glad as it'd decrease their odds of being a playoff contender.

I think what Florio et. al are zooming in on are stats like this: https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/jimmy-garoppolo/8697

I can only see the 78.2 overall rating. I know it's below average, but based on eye test somewhat misleading.

Jimmy G had int problems. These problems got better over his first full season. It's not a years-long issue like, say, with Jameis Winston. It shows signs of getting better with coaching and experience.

Jimmy G is relatively non-mobile. That is unlikely to respond to coaching. That could be a problem with him moving forward especially as NFL itself is moving that way, but if so Brady would be the last choice, especially now. Brady's a statue compared to Jimmy G.

As people pointed out, Jimmy G has earned the respect of the locker room including people like Sherm. Brady feels he is entitled to it. For decades now, Brady's been referred to as "Mr. Brady" and "sir" by other teammates. How long is someone like Sherm going to put up with that silently? How long is the 49ers FO going to put up with his woo holistic coach for the TB12 brand doing team appointments in the building? Not very long.

Getting rid of Jimmy G for Brady would cost $10M more than keeping JG. That's two decent vet FAs. More potentially if you're talking cheaper players.

Places like Indy or the Chargers or TB have serious needs at QB that the 9ers presently don't. Or any number of teams (Jax, Panthers) who are going into rebuild.

It makes sense for teams like that to pursue him, just like it makes sense for the 9ers not to.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3moamv62 said:
You can have your opinion and I'll have mine. Jimmy G still has a ton to prove. I'm glad he plays for the Niners and I hope he continues to.
All Seahawk fans would agree with this! Next year is a make or break for Jimmy G. The window of opportunity is already closing.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Agree to disagree. Brady with that Running game, that defense and that play calling? He would do a hell of a lot better than Jimmy G.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ysxo5nk said:

Never said he didn't have anything to prove.

I said getting rid of a 28 YO QB who took you to the SB in his ONLY season as a starter and replacing him with a 43 YO QB clearly on the decline and worse statistically over the past TWO seasons than the 28 YO is flat stupid.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Marvin49":12hklhfg said:
SoulfishHawk":12hklhfg said:

I said getting rid of a 28 YO QB who took you to the SB in his ONLY season as a starter and replacing him with a 43 YO QB clearly on the decline and worse statistically over the past TWO seasons than the 28 YO is flat stupid.

That defense took the 9ers to the Super Bowl... thats,why this story has legs.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":44dl3z4o said:
Marvin49":44dl3z4o said:
SoulfishHawk":44dl3z4o said:

That defense took the 9ers to the Super Bowl... thats,why this story has legs.

Sigh....right.

No....the story has legs because people are stupid. Straight up. Its a media trick to create clicks. Nothing more.