Florio: Will 9ers make a play on Brady

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1295232v said:
SantaClaraHawk":1295232v said:
Florio doubles down on his rumor:

Then came more recent developments, with Deion Sanders talking about Brady to San Fran on Sunday and Peter King writing about it on Monday and Simms and me kicking it around on Monday and Tom Curran giving real credence to the 49ers as an alternative to what otherwise seems to be a Patriots or Titans proposition for Brady. Next comes Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald, who reports in response to Curran’s Tuesday comments that he “might be onto something.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... ing-steam/

So according to Florio this thing is worth taking seriously for the following reason:

(1) Florio fills the slow part of the offseason with a dumb thing
(2) Sanders picks up what Florio put down
(3) Peter King says Sanders and Florio are being silly
(4) Florio and Simms fill time by saying Florio wasn't being silly.
(5) Curran takes Florio's idea sorta seriously.

So according to Florio other reporters having acknowledged Florio is evidence for Florio.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :lol:
That’s pretty much it.....

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Marvin49":2ha6gk0w said:
Uncle Si":2ha6gk0w said:
Marvin49":2ha6gk0w said:
SoulfishHawk":2ha6gk0w said:
You can have your opinion and I'll have mine. Jimmy G still has a ton to prove. I'm glad he plays for the Niners and I hope he continues to.

Never said he didn't have anything to prove.

I said getting rid of a 28 YO QB who took you to the SB in his ONLY season as a starter and replacing him with a 43 YO QB clearly on the decline and worse statistically over the past TWO seasons than the 28 YO is flat stupid.

That defense took the 9ers to the Super Bowl... thats,why this story has legs.

Sigh....right.

No....the story has legs because people are stupid. Straight up. Its a media trick to create clicks. Nothing more.

I think the idea of it is stupid... yes.

But I also think Brady is selling himself and if the 9ers could, they'd like a better QB.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They made the Super Bowl because of the Defense and that running game, PERIOD.
Get used to hearing it, there are still plenty of Hawks "fans" who claim that Russ bascially had very little to do with their back to back Superb Owl appearances. Because you know, he had such a great D and running game.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":2r3cf287 said:
Jimmy was better. It would be very difficult to really argue otherwise. You could also argue the career trajectory.

I have, however, been trying to make this point here: REGARDLESS of whether you think Jimmy is a really good QB or not, the move makes no sense whatsoever unless you are...

a) Tom Brady
b) The Patriots

Its like there is this assumption that the Niners will be idiotic and make a stupid decision that will benefit the Patriots because...well, they are the Patriots and we all have to bow down to their greatness.

I mean while were at it, lets just send the Pats Nick Bosa for a 7th round pick.

Yes, you're right, and I think this is the point to stick on.

Even in a scenario in which you believe that in a vacuum a 44 year old Tom Brady is a substantially better QB, take all that and have it and from the 9ers perspective it still doesn't make any sense.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Marvin49":cqm46etx said:
I mean while were at it, lets just send the Pats Nick Bosa for a 7th round pick.

We will give you a 3rd, and a lifetime supply of Ezzel's Chicken and Waffles

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":13whn0i1 said:
They made the Super Bowl because of the Defense and that running game, PERIOD.
Get used to hearing it, there are still plenty of Hawks "fans" who claim that Russ bascially had very little to do with their back to back Superb Owl appearances. Because you know, he had such a great D and running game.

I dunno....seems odd to me that you would make that claim and then immediately follow that up with the logical response to the argument.

Wilsons QB ratings in 2013 and 2014.

101.2 and 95 respectively.

Jimmy Garoppolo 2019: 102.0

Wilson won in a blowout throwing for 206 yards and 2 TDs. He then LOST a SB on an INT on the goal line.

I want to be clear here...I am NOT arguing that Jimmy is better than Russ. That is not in any way my argument.

What I'm saying is that the D and Run game were hugely important both to the 'hawks and the 49ers but they needed their QB when it mattered.

The storyline that the Niners could have done this with any number of QBs is flat BS. We've seen them with other QBs and there is a HUGE different in their record and efficiency.

Also important is that in those runs by the Seahawks, Wilson wasn't the QB he is NOW...a player who was rightfully an MVP candidate.

Jimmy isn't the guy he will be either.

First year as a starter. Returning from torn ACL. Huge hole at WR until about midseason. STILL managed a 102 QB rating, the #1 seed in the NFC, and a SB appearance.

Make all the excuses for all the other reason they got there, but there are ALOT of NFL teams who had good defenses and good running games that didn't make it to the dance, let alone carry a 10 point lead into the 8 minute mark of the SB before the defense collapsed.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
What's wrong with Florio.

Updated Tom Brady odds show 49ers rising
Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2020, 5:59 AM EST

The previous odds posted regarding Tom Brady‘s 2020 destination didn’t include the 49ers as a potential wagering option. The latest odds do.

Via ESPN.com, the Westgate Superbook has installed the 49ers at 12-1 to land the six-time Super Bowl winner.

The Patriots remain the favorite to keep Brady, at 1-2. Which suggests that whoever sets these odds really isn’t paying attention like they should be. But at least they’re paying close enough attention to get the 49ers on the board.

The Titans have 9-2 odds, followed by the Raiders at 8-1 and the Chargers at 8-1.

The Colts are the next team behind the 49ers at 14-1, along with the Bucs. “No snap taken” lands at 30-1 (that should be at least 1,000-1).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... rs-rising/

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":to7gxm3t said:
Who contributes and has contributed more to his team? It's not even in the same ballpark. Period.

Not sure I understand the question. Are you comparing Jimmy and Wilson or Jimmy and his run game/defense?

Not sure why having those two things seems to immediately signal that the QB sucks. He doesn't. Just like Wilson didn't suck in 2013 and 2014.

Any Niner fan here has been saying from the start that Jimmy has one real tendency that he has to work through. He has one or 2 WTF passes per game. Guess what...that actually improved down the stretch.

Dude just needs time. He'll get it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":10ku1e96 said:
What's wrong with Florio.

Updated Tom Brady odds show 49ers rising
Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2020, 5:59 AM EST

The previous odds posted regarding Tom Brady‘s 2020 destination didn’t include the 49ers as a potential wagering option. The latest odds do.

Via ESPN.com, the Westgate Superbook has installed the 49ers at 12-1 to land the six-time Super Bowl winner.

The Patriots remain the favorite to keep Brady, at 1-2. Which suggests that whoever sets these odds really isn’t paying attention like they should be. But at least they’re paying close enough attention to get the 49ers on the board.

The Titans have 9-2 odds, followed by the Raiders at 8-1 and the Chargers at 8-1.

The Colts are the next team behind the 49ers at 14-1, along with the Bucs. “No snap taken” lands at 30-1 (that should be at least 1,000-1).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... rs-rising/

Whats wrong with Florio?

He's a hack. Always has been. He's been on the anti-Jimmy train ALL YEAR.

Jimmy had a bad practice against what we now know was the #1 ranked pass D in the NFL this year. He then had a shaky start in his first preseason game which was his first game action (11 plays) after the torn ACL.

Ever since that point, there has been an anti-Jimmy Freight Train in the media. Its ludicrous.

Florio has been on that train all year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I hope Prawn Star spends his entire career in Santa Clara. That would be ideal, and until he can actually contribute to a championship, I think he's a little above average IF he gets blocking. In the clutch though? I wouldn't trust him one bit.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2qjjsg1i said:
Popeyejones":2qjjsg1i said:
SantaClaraHawk":2qjjsg1i said:

Then came more recent developments, with Deion Sanders talking about Brady to San Fran on Sunday and Peter King writing about it on Monday and Simms and me kicking it around on Monday and Tom Curran giving real credence to the 49ers as an alternative to what otherwise seems to be a Patriots or Titans proposition for Brady. Next comes Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald, who reports in response to Curran’s Tuesday comments that he “might be onto something.”

So according to Florio this thing is worth taking seriously for the following reason:

So according to Florio other reporters having acknowledged Florio is evidence for Florio.

YUP.....

Create a smoke screen...fill it full of smoke....tell people there is smoke...people say there is smoke...by creating a smoke screen and telling people there is smoke, the rumor becomes fact as you filled up the smoke screen with your own smoke. He he he . Florio.....is full of................

:2thumbs:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":17eefqym said:
Sports Hernia":17eefqym said:
Popeyejones":17eefqym said:
SantaClaraHawk":17eefqym said:

YUP.....

Create a smoke screen...fill it full of smoke....tell people there is smoke...people say there is smoke...by creating a smoke screen and telling people there is smoke, the rumor becomes fact as you filled up the smoke screen with your own smoke. He he he . Florio.....is full of................

:2thumbs:

Its the reason I stopped watching ESPN. Its manufactured.

You can see it happen in real time.

1) Guy on morning show throws out wild speculation with zero facts behind it.
2) Late Morning show picks up on it and asks people what they think of that speculation. Some guy says they think it has legs.
3) Afternoon show says there are reports of said speculation and present it as viable rumor to guests on THAT show.
4) Now its in the Twittersphere and thousands of people are now commenting on "rumor".
5) Subject of "rumor" is asked and pretty much says its BS, but more attention is paid to what ISN'T EXPLICITLY said rather than what WAS said.
6) Following morning its a full blown story and EVERY morning show discusses it as if it has some legs.

Its ALL BS. It was never true. Its fantasy.

Florio is a purveyor of fantasy and the worst part is that he gets defensive and starts quoting other ill informed people as "evidence" of what he says being true when in fact it is ALL simply regurgitation of the same BS speculation that never had any roots in truth.

When you do 24/7 football talk, you have to invent in the offseason, and that is precisely what this is.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Hyperbolic indignation aside, 9ers fans really don't think their team would entertain an opportunity to upgrade the QB position?

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
For Joe Burrow, yep. Lamar, they'd make room. Russ, definitely.

There are a few I could see them doing that for, none available, and not 2020 Brady.

These rumors remind me a lot of those around here that went around in 2014 saying Peyton Manning should be signed to replace Kaep. Even though Kaep turned out to be a unsatisfactory QB, no one saw them going for an aging replacement.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":li0nrugc said:
Hyperbolic indignation aside, 9ers fans really don't think their team would entertain an opportunity to upgrade the QB position?

Oh sure they would if there was an opportunity...

...this ain't an upgrade. This is stupidity.

They would upgade any position on the field given the opportunity.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3m640cvf said:
For Joe Burrow, yep. Lamar, they'd make room. Russ, definitely.

There are a few I could see them doing that for, none available, and not 2020 Brady.

These rumors remind me a lot of those around here that went around in 2014 saying Peyton Manning should be signed to replace Kaep. Even though Kaep turned out to be a unsatisfactory QB, no one saw them going for an aging replacement.

?

I have no recollection of THAT particular rumor. There were rumors tho in 2012 of Manning replacing Alex Smith.

That one DID have legs though as Harbaugh and Baalke actually flew out to meet with Manning.