FootballOutsiders: It's time to talk about Geno Smith

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I can understand your point
but he has played against 3 top Defences already. Sf NO, Denver only SF kept him from running an effective O, and that was after an emotional win.
As they grow they can put up 28 to 32 on any D
I can also understand the hangover after the dramatic win. That’s the trajectory I’d like to see happen and week by week he looks like he’s getting there but it’s still a smaller sample size than will sell me. However, I’m at the point where I do expect him to do it.

OP
OP
Lagartixa

Lagartixa

Reaction score
hes just not accurate with his long passes. zero touch. very accurate inside 20 yards.
That's what you say.
Here's what Football Outsiders said about Smith last week:
It was the adjustment for opponent quality that knocked Smith down to second-best QB in the league in last week's analysis, so don't try to ignore his tremendous performance because the Lions are bad.

And here's what Football Outsiders said about Smith this week:

"Only" the fourth-best QB performance by DYAR this week, but he was the best in the league on deep balls for the second week in a row, and again, that's including adjustments for opponent quality.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lagartixa

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Yeah? I mean, by some metrics, Geno is playing as good or better than any other QB in the league. There is only so much more any QB could do.

Smith is currently second in the league in QB DVOA and second in the league in QB DYAR. Both of these measures adjust for opponent quality. Smith is also first in the league in passer rating.

And he's taking up a whopping $3.5M of the Seahawks' salary-cap allotment. Not only does Smith appear to easily be the Seahawks' MVP so far this season, he's lapped the field twice in value per cap hit. There is no other player who has come even close to helping the Seahawks as much as Smith this season.

Since @DarkVictory23 was responding to @toffee's question about whether the Seahawks would be 2-3 with prime Wilson running the offense instead of Smith, I'll include for context the fact that in QB DVOA and DYAR, where Smith is second in the league in both, Wilson is currently 20th in the league in both. And in passer rating, in which Smith leads the league, Wilson is 22nd. And this in an offense that Wilson, Hackett, and the Broncos in general told us was being built around Wilson's strengths, unlike the Seahawks' offense that was supposedly holding Wilson back. 😬