For the first time in a while...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
They went for broke in 2017 and gave up picks along the way. No doubt in my mind they will trade back to recoup those assets.

OP
OP
GeekHawk

GeekHawk

Reaction score
JimmyG":rq0kx3u4 said:
GeekHawk":rq0kx3u4 said:
iigakusei":rq0kx3u4 said:
I have never been more convinced that OC is not the problem. It is bigger than that.

It's not bigger than that. It's exactly that.
Amazing, the OC is "exactly the problem" with every team in football. What a coincidence.

Yup. Every one of them calls a 50-yard play while in the endzone with a shit o-line, and sends 2 receivers to the same exact spot so the D can concentrate their defenders there. Yup, every other one does that sort of thing. :roll:

JimmyG

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3mi9ji78 said:
JimmyG":3mi9ji78 said:
Amazing, the OC is "exactly the problem" with every team in football. What a coincidence.
Ok, defend the fact that our OC was calling long-developing routes all damn day against a D-line that smokes our O-line every time they meet.

Use your words. We're waiting.
Playcalling is overrated. Execution is what matters. People call me a "Bevell apologist" but I am anything but. I almost never praise the guy. I almost never praise any coordinator for that matter. It's way too hard to judge playcalls. Without seeing the All-22, how do we know what the calls were? Even if we can see the routes, we don't know what his first/second reads were. I'm sorry, but a sweeping generalization of "he called long-developing routes all day" is just a buzzword answer that everyone is regurgitating in every other post.

What I saw yesterday was a Russell Wilson that held to the ball too long. You don't need game film to see that. I see the same thing every week. People resort to hyperbole like "he was under pressure every play". PFF says Wilson was pressured 16 times on 42 dropbacks (38% of the time); Wilson took 7 sacks yesterday. Well, PFF says Jimmy Garoppolo over in San Francisco was pressured 18 times on 46 dropbacks (39% of the time); he took only 3 sacks. Garoppolo has an inferior supporting cast and he still put up great numbers. People are going to say, "well, it's because they have Shanahan. He's a great playcaller." Funny, because all other QBs for the Niners have been awful this year. Execution trumps playcalling.

Wilson holding the ball too long is something I see every week. Usually, he can dance around and pull off a few miracle plays. What I saw from the Rams was not just a good pass rush, but a disciplined defense. They contained him. They did not over-pursue. This is the mistake most pass rushers, and defenses, make against him.

Every week people complain about Bevell's playcalling and insist that Wilson bailed him out, that we moved the ball in spite of him. Well, where was Wilson yesterday? He didn't show up. They kept him in the pocket and he failed to deliver. He didn't adapt. He didn't get rid of the ball quickly. He resorted to the "start scrambling around the moment there's a hint of pressure" hero ball stuff. You rarely see Wilson climb the pocket. You rarely see him stand tall. You rarely see him get rid of the ball quickly. "Long-developing plays" are just as often the result of him dancing around.

So, sorry, you can't praise him for "producing in spite of Bevell" when he does well and then give him a pass because "it was bad playcalling" when he does poorly.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
JimmyG":1gccdx9a said:
GeekHawk":1gccdx9a said:
iigakusei":1gccdx9a said:
I have never been more convinced that OC is not the problem. It is bigger than that.

It's not bigger than that. It's exactly that.
Not teams like Minnesota. Their patchwork O line from last year and their running game was a problem. Look what they did down two qb and a top rb. Pat Shurmer has that team with 11 wins so far.

AgentDib

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1o483yq7 said:
Yup. Every one of them calls a 50-yard play while in the endzone with a shit o-line, and sends 2 receivers to the same exact spot so the D can concentrate their defenders there. Yup, every other one does that sort of thing. :roll:
Without diving into a futile debate about coordinators, I did rewatch the all-22 to specifically follow PRich's play. In my opinion he was open on a number of occasions, including the one you're referring to.

3rd and 15 from the Hawks 8 yard line. Everything short is off the table and so Troy Hill is lined up at RCB 10 yards off and plays the outside angle. Richardson starts to pass him at the 30 and that is when the ball should have come out. Instead the ball comes out a second later when Wilson feels pressure and is slightly underthrown as a result. Prich slows slightly and Troy Hill makes up ground to get in position to make the deflection 60 yards down the field.

3rd and 15 is very difficult to convert in the NFL and there was a significant wind at the time, so it isn't really a point against Wilson other than I wish he had thrown it earlier. I don't think it says much about the play call either way, however, as nobody would be criticizing a 40 yard pass that Prich catches at midfield.