Frank Gore: Colts' Andrew Luck is 'a football god'

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":duxth4rf said:
Popeyejones":duxth4rf said:
So Luck is overrated and Kaepernick's the worst. Got it. :th2thumbs:

But for both of those things to be true Gore has to be right and wrong at the exact same time. Hmmmmmmmmmm.....
Holy extremes batman! :roll:
Where did I say the Kraepper was the worst? Quit making things up.
I don't think CK is anywhere near as good as you homeristic niner fans think he is, but IMHO there are quite a few qb's that are worse....
As for Luck I think he is severely over rated, but then again I value games won and playoff success over fantasy football stats, so sue me. 8)

Oh and Marv, I couldn't care any less what niner fans or anyone else thinks about RW, he has his weaknesses and strengths, just like any QB, but I'd say he's been pretty successful so far even if the denialzoner's disagree! :th2thumbs: 8)

Wasn't making a comment one way or the other on Wilson...just postulating why Luck is so hated here.

NINEster

Reaction score
TAB420":1bfms604 said:
CodeWarrior":1bfms604 said:
TAB420":1bfms604 said:
CodeWarrior":1bfms604 said:
Luck is a fantastic player. Better than Wilson.

That's your opinion,but you really can't compare the two. They are two different style QB's and they play on to different styles of offenses....Apples and oranges.

I'd argue that you can compare the two in that Wilson is a great player no doubt, but he's more scheme reliant than Luck. Luck would succeed in any scheme, Seahawks included.

You think that Luck could extend plays with his legs, like Wilson does in Seattle?

Yes he could.

Wilson may be the best in the league at extending plays with his legs, but it's not like he has a monopoly on play extending abilities.

Luck is in that Aaron Rodgers mold of in pocket mobility. Luck is perceived as being on the Aaron Rodgers career trajectory.

Of the more standard pocket guys, Romo, Roethlisberger can extend plays......Rivers and Eli Manning too (Eli when he is on otherwise no victory over 49ers in 2011).

A majority of Kaepernick's big passing plays last year were of the play extending variety (Dallas trip TD to VD, Philly TD to Gore, goal line TD to Boldin in St. Louis, 4th down bomb to Crabtree in New Orleans).

I can't think up any Cam Newton plays, but I'm sure he has some -- the playoff game against the Seahawks last year would have been worse if he wasn't. Even RG3 had an impressive 4th down conversion against the Giants his rookie year.

As far as Andrew Luck himself.....yes, I think he's a bit overrated, but that comes with the territory of winning games and accumulating stats. But the opposite narrative is a bit much.

Luck's playoff game against the Chiefs, while he did get lucky is still credit to him.

We'll see what happens this season with Gore and Andre Johnson, and perhaps a slightly better defense.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Hey, I admit it, I hate Andrew Luck. Hate his mouth-breathing face, hate his neckbeard, hate all the hype he had coming out of college, hate how the Colts tanked to get him, hate how he and Mr. Griffith III were ranked ahead of Russ for rookie of the year, hate how he's been able to inflate his numbers in the AFC South by playing three of the worst teams in the league for six easy games a year, hate how the media has anointed him as the best young QB even though he doesn't have the stats or the victories to back it up.

That enough hate for you, Niner fans?

rlkats

Reaction score
For one am sick of watching Gore slob Lucks knob. Goodie play witha god. When your team eats crap again in the playoffs i will laugh my ass off. Wish he would just worry bout his own team and let it go. Ya Kap is what he is. But damn shut up.

rlkats

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":2aqjmgek said:
Hey, I admit it, I hate Andrew Luck. Hate his mouth-breathing face, hate his neckbeard, hate all the hype he had coming out of college, hate how the Colts tanked to get him, hate how he and Mr. Griffith III were ranked ahead of Russ for rookie of the year, hate how he's been able to inflate his numbers in the AFC South by playing three of the worst teams in the league for six easy games a year, hate how the media has anointed him as the best young QB even though he doesn't have the stats or the victories to back it up.

That enough hate for you, Niner fans?

Atleast Mr.Wilson and co got the last laugh. A RING.

El Caliente

Reaction score
If Luck doesn't post numbers better than Manning did in 2013 than this season will be a bust. He really does have an abundance of tools to work with, so on his end, if that offense isn't the #1 scoring and yards per game, that's on him.

All that aside, in terms of young qbs, it's 1a Luck 1b Wilson...or is it 1a Wilson, 1b Luck? They are that darn good, and will be for a long time.

SuperMan28

Reaction score
Gore went too far by saying that. That's all I have to say about that.

TAB420

Reaction score
SuperMan28":2nhknj8a said:

Gore is making it very clear which quarterback he favors.

rlkats

Reaction score
TAB420":15g1fxo4 said:
SuperMan28":15g1fxo4 said:

Gore is making it very clear which quarterback he favors.

Really no way lol. Just messin with ya.

But ya ye made it VERY clear.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":oqeak9dx said:
Why this forum can't accept Luck being amazing is beyond me.

Because he isn't amazing. He is a very good player who certainly has the potential to be an amazing player, but he is not there yet for the reasons that were spelled out in that PFF article the other day. Yet the media anointed him as a sure fire Hall-of-Famer from day one, much like they did RGIII his rookie year, much like they did Tony Romo when he took over for Bledsoe in '06, etc.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Just gonna hop in to say the obligatory "football is a team sport," and we all know defense and a run game win in the playoffs.

Peyton had Edgerrin for a while, but only won the SB when his D was on it. As soon as Luck gets a consistently dominating D, the AFC is his. SB is another story.

As for Kaep, clearly the best RB in 49ers history doesn't think much of him. Try to blame Seahawks fans, but all we're doing is getting a chuckle out of it. Frank has now twice made very clear how he thinks about Luck in comparison to Papaki.

And for those of us who have no rooting interest in Colin, we know he has a rocket arm and deer-like legs, but he hasn't shown himself to be the whole package beyond a mid-tier QB.

IMO.

Threedee

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2dhilu2j said:
TAB420":2dhilu2j said:
CodeWarrior":2dhilu2j said:
Luck is a fantastic player. Better than Wilson.

That's your opinion,but you really can't compare the two. They are two different style QB's and they play on to different styles of offenses....Apples and oranges.

I'd argue that you can compare the two in that Wilson is a great player no doubt, but he's more scheme reliant than Luck. Luck would succeed in any scheme, Seahawks included.
http://adequateman.deadspin.com/the-per ... 1726354017

I came across this blog entry by Drew Magary this morning while looking for his latest Why Your Team Sucks article, and (scroll past the goofy flag satire) he opines that Luck would have failed in DC. I guess that means he's at least human.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
mikeak":14mhsh63 said:
titan3131":14mhsh63 said:
he is amazing. But he also crumbles under pressure when it counts, He is a andy dalton mixed with philip rivers stats.

What is the basis for this and definition of pressure?

Are you talking big moments as playoffs and end of games? If so he has a lot of comeback wins

Are you talking actual pressure on the field as blitzing etc - there was an article on ESPN recently that seems to support this

and almost all of those are from him tossing picks and getting the team in behind in the first place.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
titan3131":bzu0eqfl said:
he is amazing. But he also crumbles under pressure when it counts, He is a andy dalton mixed with philip rivers stats.

And as a fan base we hate the sploogfest of luck, touting him as the great of all time. When clearly he is just a great qb, not a legend yet.

The only way Luck is like Dalton is they are both named Andrew.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":1wu5tkyg said:

Because damn it every media person, football fan, fantasy guide, etc etc should bow down to Russell Wilson the Lord of the Northwest!

If it's Seahawks-Colts in the Super Bowl this year, it's going to be a fun 2 weeks.

Rob12

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":yomwaqx3 said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000516983/article/frank-gore-colts-andrew-luck-is-a-football-god

Did anyone laugh as hard as I did at this title up on NFL.com

Football God :roll:

Too bad none of that stuff has helped him in the playoffs..Just another Peyton Manning. Good in the regular season but when playoffs roll around he crumbles and cant get the job done :stirthepot:

Only difference is Manning isnt a few throws from being under a 70 QB rating in his career in the playoffs...ZING

Luck is a stud. Face it, man.

He hasn't been that great in the playoffs... I'll give you that. I'm not a huge Luck fan, either. But considering the fact that he has no running game to speak of or a defense that can stop anyone, he has definitely taken his licks in the postseason where those things matter -- a lot.

I'd still have rather Russ... Every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

But I think when it's all said and done Andrew Luck, if the Colts' front office plays it right, we'll have a much more impressive playoff resume than Peyton Manning.

Rob12

Reaction score
mikeak":wbryohyl said:
WilsonMVP":wbryohyl said:
Just another Peyton Manning.

LOL, I only type 'LOL' when something literally makes me laugh out loud.

Peyton is in the discussion of the top three to five best QB's of all time.

Rob12

Reaction score
titan3131":yd7t9oiz said:

And as a fan base we hate the sploogfest of luck, touting him as the great of all time. When clearly he is just a great qb, not a legend yet.

Yeah, and this kind of BS. Luck's fewest passing attempts in a playoff game is 33. His highest is 54. He averages 43 passing attempts in the playoffs (6 games, 260 pass attempts).

Why? Because his defense sucks. He has had no run game. The Colts traded for a colossal bust, Trent Richardson, to shore up their run game. He has a great deal put on his shoulders, with little support (other than in the passing game) surrounding him.

Yeah, the fact that this board can't admit that Luck is easily on the short list of the best young QB's in the game over the past 20 years is laughable.

Rob12

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":2i6lsjl7 said:
TheRealDTM":2i6lsjl7 said:

Because he isn't amazing. He is a very good player who certainly has the potential to be an amazing player, but he is not there yet for the reasons that were spelled out in that PFF article the other day. Yet the media anointed him as a sure fire Hall-of-Famer from day one, much like they did RGIII his rookie year, much like they did Tony Romo when he took over for Bledsoe in '06, etc.

PFF is typically garbage.

Russ > Luck

But people really need to start giving this kid his due without all the disclaimers.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2p6yoguw said:
titan3131":2p6yoguw said:

The only way Luck is like Dalton is they are both named Andrew.

You are the Anthony! to Luck.