Free Agency Thread

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what would your reaction be if Seattle inked him to the same deal.
I'd be happy to have him on the team but also wary about taking up that much cap space for one guy when our defense has plenty of holes to fill and we have the draft capital to do a decent job of filling them. As we know from Jamal Adams, giving one guy a huge contract puts you one injury away from turning a positive addition into a catastrophic one.

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
just out of curiosity, why are you here and not on webzone? you care more about what we think apparentl

just out of curiosity, why are you here and not on webzone? you care more about what we think apparently.

I don't much care for the webzone, poor thread organization (not many of them, with 100's of pages). Sports are so tribal, it's good to get opposing viewpoints. But if you don't care for that, I'm sure there's some kind of blocking mechanism you could employ to hide my posts.

massari

Reaction score
Good Centers and ILBs are usually pretty cheap compared to premium positions, which is why free agency is probably the best way to go there instead of using high picks filling those positions

Mizak

Reaction score
Who to follow besides Adam Schefter and Ian Rapaport for these news?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Calm down and read this.

And this.

The first day of free agency is a huge day for winner's-curse contracts. Carroll and Schneider know what the team needs. Based on what they've said in the last couple of weeks, they agree with most people here that the defensive front 7 needs an overhaul. But rather than getting upset with them for not getting into a bidding war over players who are getting deals in the first hours of free agency, we should be glad they're not falling into emotional decisions. Take a look at that graph up near the top of the Wikipedia article.
Good points, but I would respond that this only works if, like the Patriots, a team manages their cap by "not overpaying for “marquee” players in order to afford average ones at positions for which other teams can only pay bottom dollar..." A team can overpay for marquee players in either free agency or via trades.

Have the Hawks been successful with free agents acquired earlier or later in the season? Jason Myers, Michael Bennet, and Cliff Avril were early free agency acquisitions. Cary Williams, Eddie Lacy, J’Marcus Webb, Bradley Sowell, Ahkello Witherspoon, Luke Joeckl, and Matt Flynn were early signings.

Sidney Rice, Zach Miller, Geno Smith were late pickups, as was Robert Gallery.

Mixed bags in both.

I didn't realize there were so few later signings, but I had trouble coming up with more than a few.

Where the Hawks have really messed up, IMHO, is in marquee trades, rather than marquee free agent pickups. I think they horribly miscast and/or overpaid for Graham, Harvin, Adams, and Richardson. They certainly did well with the Lynch and Clemons. Once again, a mixed bag.

I went into this post with the bias that they tend to overplay later in free agency, and whiff on trades. The likely takeaway, however, is that, like most teams, John and Pete have had mixed results all the way around. Maybe not helpful, but dangit I did all that research, maybe someone else can find a better point in it all.

Latest posts