Free Agents

firebee

Reaction score
kearly":14ge5jsj said:
If Berry hits UFA, I would expect Seattle to be in on the discussions. They LOVED him in the 2010 draft, he was their top rated player. He's a ballhawk but is actually better suited to play SS. And he'd give Seattle some insane speed at the safety spot. It would also create leverage against Kam, and possibly make him expendable (though they could still keep Kam as a nickle DB or convert him to LB).

Granted, I'd give it a 5% chance of actually happening since Berry is going to get huge money and the FO just learned a harsh lesson about paying an outsider DB good money, but on paper the Berry to Seattle chatter makes sense IMO.

I'm against spending big money on anybody that hasn't proven they can fit into our system and do what we need them to do. Cary Williams... Lesson learned.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
firebee":czauzzpd said:
kearly":czauzzpd said:
If Berry hits UFA, I would expect Seattle to be in on the discussions. They LOVED him in the 2010 draft, he was their top rated player. He's a ballhawk but is actually better suited to play SS. And he'd give Seattle some insane speed at the safety spot. It would also create leverage against Kam, and possibly make him expendable (though they could still keep Kam as a nickle DB or convert him to LB).

Granted, I'd give it a 5% chance of actually happening since Berry is going to get huge money and the FO just learned a harsh lesson about paying an outsider DB good money, but on paper the Berry to Seattle chatter makes sense IMO.

I'm against spending big money on anybody that hasn't proven they can fit into our system and do what we need them to do. Cary Williams... Lesson learned.
Yeah but Berry's a proven All-Pro. Cary Williams was a guy that was already declining that the coaching staff and FO thought they could "coach up" or might be a " better fit" in Seattle's system. Berry would work as a Hawk. Like kearly said, 5% chance but he would be a great addition to our team IMO.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think Berry is 0%. The money will be too big.

Sweezy has to sign a deal before free agency begins for Seattle to keep him. Otherwise, a team will overpay. His rep on this board may be shit, but he is way more respected than that around the NFL.

This is the year the 22 mil per year for Russ comes home to roost. Not saying it makes us worse, but it will have a cost in player retention.

mrt144

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1xb326ks said:

Sweezy has to sign a deal before free agency begins for Seattle to keep him. Otherwise, a team will overpay. His rep on this board may be shit, but he is way more respected than that around the NFL.

This is the year the 22 mil per year for Russ comes home to roost. Not saying it makes us worse, but it will have a cost in player retention.

After watching the 2015 season, would you relish the prospect of getting a new QB with the line in this delapidate state? The moves at line have been pretty independent of any salary considerations for RW.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
mrt144":34fqdq7o said:
Scottemojo":34fqdq7o said:

After watching the 2015 season, would you relish the prospect of getting a new QB with the line in this delapidate state? The moves at line have been pretty independent of any salary considerations for RW.

No moves are independent, not with this staff. And the line is ...subparand a bit miscast, mostly due to inexperience and playing out of postion. Not dilapidated. And I say that as one of the few who said the line was not really that improved while many were singing it's praises during a mostly sack free winning streak.

and why mention a new QB? who thinks we need that?

kearly

Reaction score
No matter what happens with Berry, we'll always have fond memories associated with the guy.

Arroll picks performance over pay OS25JGPM x large

I'm not expecting Seattle to sign him. I do expect them to try. People have to remember, Berry was drafted high in 2010 back on the old CBA. He inked a 6/50 deal based on his draft slot. Before he had ever played a down in the NFL he was the highest paid safety in the game. And Seattle wanted that. Badly.

Of course, Seattle didn't have Earl and Kam or Sherm just yet. But given the nagging shoulder injury to Earl and the uncertainty and awkwardness around Kam's future, I think Seattle would want to be in on the discussions... just in case.

Berry's gonna get PAID. But every now and then, maybe 5% of the time, a guy everyone thought would get PAID doesn't for whatever reason, and Seattle has been better than anyone at scooping those players up to reasonable deals.

My guess is that Seattle will be quiet this offseason... on the surface. But under the surface they will be active on deals that don't break their way just like they are every year. JS is a big believer in "attacking the offseason" and 2016 will be no different.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Mojambo":1a592x4w said:
Jefferey is a non-starter, but as Huard mentioned this week. Mohammed Sanu might be a good fit here.

Isn't it Mohammed Houshmand...oh wait, that was a different guy. However, picking him up would feel the same to me.

DJrmb

Reaction score
kearly":31e3743r said:
No matter what happens with Berry, we'll always have fond memories associated with the guy.

I'm not expecting Seattle to sign him. I do expect them to try. People have to remember, Berry was drafted high in 2010 back on the old CBA. He inked a 6/50 deal based on his draft slot. Before he had ever played a down in the NFL he was the highest paid safety in the game. And Seattle wanted that. Badly.

Of course, Seattle didn't have Earl and Kam or Sherm just yet. But given the nagging shoulder injury to Earl and the uncertainty and awkwardness around Kam's future, I think Seattle would want to be in on the discussions... just in case.

Berry's gonna get PAID. But every now and then, maybe 5% of the time, a guy everyone thought would get PAID doesn't for whatever reason, and Seattle has been better than anyone at scooping those players up to reasonable deals.

My guess is that Seattle will be quiet this offseason... on the surface. But under the surface they will be active on deals that don't break their way just like they are every year. JS is a big believer in "attacking the offseason" and 2016 will be no different.

I think you hit it right on the head kearly. This is an offseason that could be similar to the 2013 offseason where a Seahawks team that was thought to be somewhat strapped for cash lies in the weeds and nabs a guy or two with an under-developing market (like they did with Avril and Bennett). They aren't going to go out and sign a mega deal FA but if a guy slips through the cracks because of teams forgetting about them or because of bickering over price I could see Pete and John swoop in with a 2 year "bet on yourself" deal to nab a guy like Berry. Do I count on it happening or even think there is a high chance? No. However I also didn't expect them to bring in the top 2 pass rushers in FA in 2013 either. I think they'll also keep a close eye on Mario Williams if/when he is released as I believe more pass rush will be a focus as well.

firebee

Reaction score
For good strong underrated FA options on the offensive line, I'm really liking Senio Kelemete, Mitchell Schwartz, Bradley Sowell and Tom Compton. Young guys that could be capable of playing beyond the roles they were given on their teams. Kelemete was stuck behind Evans and Unger; Schwartz could play LT if Joe Thomas wasn't the LT, so he's been playing RT instead; Bradley Sowell was stuck behind Veldheer and Massie; and Tom Compton has been solid for Washington, whether it's been playing guard or right tackle. 4 starting caliber guys that haven't really got a chance to showcase what they're capable of or in Compton's case, a guy that just doesn't have a lot of name recognition on the market.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":39sg702k said:
Loved someones idea of moving Kam to WLB and play him at 245.

Beef up Wright to 250-255 and plug him back at SLB.

Ugh, you're taking two players who are great at THEIR positions and putting them into other positions. Poor planning.

Hawks46

Reaction score
stang233":2udzf8my said:
Miller will be a 100+ guy. Jeffery will get 50+. It won't ever happened.

Ps.I agree be kind.

Miller is on record as saying he wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the league.

After his performance in the Super Bowl, he just might get it.

peppersjap

Reaction score
crosfam":2zxiisi8 said:
I think reality is this:

We lose most of our UFA. Kearse, Irvin, Okung, Sweezy, and the rest. We will cut loose a few of our more expensive vets, maybe Mebane, T-Jack, and probably Lynch. We will spend the money to retain core up-and-coming players with reasonable salary that we can retain, hopefully Shead, Lane, maybe Rubin. Long term, I'd love to extend Bennett now, to keep him anchored and keep the defense fearsome for a few more years. Same with Baldwin. Maybe even extend Kam and add one more year to his contract keep team cohesion (with mostly performance bonuses). Maybe trade him for a 2017 pick. Maybe we sign a few reasonable FA, including a few vets who take discounts to shoot for a SB win, like a vet RB, Brandon Browner, maybe a vet OL. We draft a bunch of guys, and sign a few obscure FA types that the front office likes. We develop some of our sneaky practice squad level players for more playing time OR they leave... Pinkins, McNeil , the two UW receivers, our OL picks last year, etc.

Draft two new talented offensive lineman, a linebacker, DE, DT, and DB. Draft somebody late like the kid who got kicked off TCU's team to develop as a future QB back-up to Wilson.

I see no chance at all for a top flight, expensive FA signing - not even one.
Why do so many people want Brandon Browner back? He is getting old and was abused last year plus he is a penalty machine. He was pretty solid for us a few years ago but we need to keep moving forward.

sutz

Reaction score
IMHO, Browner would be a panic signing. No need to go there this off season.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
How about Vernon Davis?We seem to need TE's all the time.I wonder if he was in our offense instead of crappy Denver and Niners how he might do..

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Mario Williams is going to be available. We were supposedly a big player for him last time he was available.

Known for inconsistent effort, but I wonder if he'd be willing to take a big cut to win.

He's been on pretty lame teams most of his career, loves boating and a rotation would probably suit him very well. Seattle could be ideal for him, for the right price.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Anyone tempted by Travis Benjamin? I'd really like to see what he could do with a decent QB.

firebee

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":m3layl0z said:
Anyone tempted by Travis Benjamin? I'd really like to see what he could do with a decent QB.
Tempted, but the problem I see with him is his size and abilities... Kind of seems like another Baldwin, which we already have, clearly. I think we'll be looking at bigger guys that can go up and get the jump balls like Sanu, Marvin Jones, Marlon Brown and the likes.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Uh yeah Von Miller is getting the franchise tag and will not get anywhere near free agency.

Alshon would be awesome in a Seahawks uni but we are already paying Graham big money plus Baldwin will probably be getting a raise too. We're better off trying to find a cheap Alshon clone in the draft.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Alshon is going to get way overpaid, and even if he only got appropriately paid, he'd still be way out of the Seahawks' price range (about triple APY of what the Hawks could afford).

The problem with finding an Alshon clone is that save for his productivity nothing really stands out about him. It's hard to point to any one area that he really excels at; he's just a damn good all around football player.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Anyone have the 411 on FA centers available?

Three things I think we desparately need are an upgrade at center and blocking TE and full back.

A couple mentioned above, FB Zach Line and TE Stevenson? I think were the names. Anyone know much about these two?

I'm probably wrong on the Stevenson name, I'll have to go back and check it up thread.