Game Plan Against 49ers?

D

DomeHawk

Why are we so consistently bad in the 1st half? it's simple, poor game planning. It takes us a half to figure out what the other team is doing. Pre-game planning is poor or non-existent.

Did you watch Jimmy Garoppolo rolling out to pass in the 1st half? It was a carbon-copy of what Goff did to us.

On offense we are just too predictable in the 1st half and until RW is able to take control we are largely ineffective.

Thoughts?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
It's been like this more or less consistantly for several years now and I just dont get why? Is it coaching and game prep? The players? Last night was a prime example of where it costs them.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I agree Dome, falling so far behind early is a big problem. But I also notice that just as soon as we get some run game established our pass game begins to take off. Until then we pretty much suck pond water. Last night was a perfect example of that. Took us a quarter and a half to get it started. Our opponents know that and stack up on us to stop the run early.
If you look at the historic stats of our results when not being first to score or leading at the half, it's a VERY gloomy picture. But the opposite is true when we do.
One thing evolving with Russ is that he is gradually taking on more responsibility in the way of checking down and making his own calls at line of scrimmage. I see that working well, along while increasing pace of game. We tend to do well in those cases.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Gotta feel them out for a half. This team pisses away more quarters just dinking around.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Well, I think you all are missing the main point. Pete drew up his game plan 10 years ago and has not varied it since. That alone gives him more time to chew gum and figure out how to screw up game and time management, and enhances his ability to throw stupid challenge flags.

:sarcasm_off:

Reaction score
I think we are missing that player we can lean on constantly to keep the ball moving I thought Penny was starting to become that guy he just needed more carries. Carson can be that guy from time to time and I think moving forward having these guys split carries would actually help the both of them and this team. We also have to learn how to get our playmakers like Lockett and Dk touches early which shouldn't be hard. Another huge reason is we come out flat most every game. When we can figure that out well we might be Patriots West. I think we just lack that killer mind set to put people away early then stomp them out. We get conservative in the beginning of games and way to conservative with the lead imo!

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
It's like Pete thinks if we go in hot, we'll be like the Lions or Raiders and unable to close.

It's not an either/or.

We can and should do both.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There are a number of people in the football world that believe a good % of our wins lately are the result of Wilson winning despite Pete, not because of him.

Pete puts us in situations to win games by keeping them close. But that also puts us in situations to lose them.

Our penchant for only leveraging half the game to actually attempt to win has burned us enough to know to expect it.

We rarely go into a game with an effective gameplan because we dismiss the importance of it internally. Why bother when the first 2 quarters hardly matter? The problem is that other teams play 4 quarters. The other problem is that unplanned events (injuries, penalties, etc) can derail your chances even if you finally put a good plan in place.

It is one thing to get burned by this and learn from it. But we don't learn or seem to even be bothered by it. We just accept it as a possible outcome, instead of something we can mitigate or change.

It is actually amazing that Wilson has not gotten tired of it by now.

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

thegreeninyoureye":2ergu7sb said:
I think we are missing that player we can lean on constantly to keep the ball moving I thought Penny was starting to become that guy he just needed more carries. Carson can be that guy from time to time and I think moving forward having these guys split carries would actually help the both of them and this team. We also have to learn how to get our playmakers like Lockett and Dk touches early which shouldn't be hard. Another huge reason is we come out flat most every game. When we can figure that out well we might be Patriots West. I think we just lack that killer mind set to put people away early then stomp them out. We get conservative in the beginning of games and way to conservative with the lead imo!

They were doubling Lockett and especially taking away that deep crossing route we have been so successful with. It took them a while to realize that DK was being covered by a rookie.

John63

Reaction score
Appyhawk":3a1j3pkn said:
I agree Dome, falling so far behind early is a big problem. But I also notice that just as soon as we get some run game established our pass game begins to take off. Until then we pretty much suck pond water. Last night was a perfect example of that. Took us a quarter and a half to get it started. Our opponents know that and stack up on us to stop the run early.
If you look at the historic stats of our results when not being first to score or leading at the half, it's a VERY gloomy picture. But the opposite is true when we do.
One thing evolving with Russ is that he is gradually taking on more responsibility in the way of checking down and making his own calls at line of scrimmage. I see that working well, along while increasing pace of game. We tend to do well in those cases.

I agree with some of what you say. However, the run game part I see the change of pace and tempo as a far bigger reason. IN our first scoring drive we came out and got to the line quick, ran our plays, changed when we hiked it, changed the tempo.

We are at our best when we change tempo, however we don't do that much because PC does not like it.

In fact if we look at our scoring drives the totals are

So in our 3 scoring drives we:
run play 13
Pass 16
Scrambles 5 I put these separately becasue they are not a run but a broken pass play.

So as you can see the "run" was not the catalyst, the changing of tempo was as in all 3 drives the tempo kept being changed.

John63

Reaction score
PC has said he wants to keep the game close and then win in the END
PC preaches you can't win in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd but you can in the 4th
PC has said they use the first half to feel their opponent out
PC has said he wants to run the ball eat clock and then throw over the top, this means long developing plays
PC has said we are going to line up and do what we do
PC has said they rely on as part of their game plan for 5-8 off script plays per game

How can any wonder why we start slow, win a lot of close game, why the ball has to be held, and why we have the thinnest margin for victory of any team.

As long as we keep winning in the regular reason nothing will change, and as long as we have Wilson we will win more than we loose.

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":1ifx4zt2 said:
Appyhawk":1ifx4zt2 said:

I agree with some of what you say. However, the run game part I see the change of pace and tempo as a far bigger reason. IN our first scoring drive we came out and got to the line quick, ran our plays, changed when we hiked it, changed the tempo.

We are at our best when we change tempo, however we don't do that much because PC does not like it.

run play 13
Pass 16
Scrambles 5 I put these separately becasue they are not a run but a broken pass play.

So as you can see the "run" was not the catalyst, the changing of tempo was as in all 3 drives the tempo kept being changed.

Run was the catalyst, Lynches two gainers with the Homer Follow up opened up play action and those dunks to Homer in the flat also. We spread them and kept them honest with the inside runs.

As Collingsworth said however they keyed on Lynch knowing he wasn't in the passing game and stacked the box with damn near 11 after those two good runs.

Homer's outside the tackles runs and flips in the flat kept them off balance along with an occasional inside attempt.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
DomeHawk":28lkccjh said:
Why are we so consistently bad in the 1st half? it's simple, poor game planning. It takes us a half to figure out what the other team is doing. Pre-game planning is poor or non-existent.

Did you watch Jimmy Garoppolo rolling out to pass in the 1st half? It was a carbon-copy of what Goff did to us.

On offense we are just too predictable in the 1st half and until RW is able to take control we are largely ineffective.

Thoughts?

I honestly think it took that long for Russell and the offense to figure out what SF was doing on defense, AND how to use Homer and Lynch effectively.

You noticed a lot more motion and RB passes out of the backfield in the 2nd half with Homer, who was actually pretty damn effective.

Which really is what gives me hope for the offense in the playoffs. I think Russell and Schotty figured out how to use Lynch and Homer, and that should pay dividends going forward.

Reaction score
John63":1eep4ubx said:
Appyhawk":1eep4ubx said:

run play 13
Pass 16

I hear you we need tp play more up tempo every team defense on their heels.oes this. This has been going on for years that is how you tired out teams defense and plus it just keeps the f

OP
OP
D

DomeHawk

chris98251":56vaje20 said:
As Collingsworth said however they keyed on Lynch knowing he wasn't in the passing game and stacked the box with damn near 11 after those two good runs.

And that is precisely what I mean be a lack of pre-game game planning. If they know that, why don't we know that they know that?

It's not that complicated. Someone's just not thinking.

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":371z1aqd said:
John63":371z1aqd said:
Appyhawk":371z1aqd said:

run play 13
Pass 16

Run was the catalyst, Lynches two gainers with the Homer Follow up opened up play action and those dunks to Homer in the flat also. We spread them and kept them honest with the inside runs.

Homer's outside the tackles runs and flips in the flat kept them off balance along with an occasional inside attempt.

agree to disagree, I believe the change in tempo was the catalyst.

John63

Reaction score
thegreeninyoureye":2ro4gqqj said:
John63":2ro4gqqj said:
Appyhawk":2ro4gqqj said:

run play 13
Pass 16

I hear you we need tp play more up tempo every team defense on their heels.oes this. This has been going on for years that is how you tired out teams defense and plus it just keeps the f

exactly and once tired then you can slow it up a little and run right down their throats.

John63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1y4k3a5e said:
DomeHawk":1y4k3a5e said:

Thoughts?

I honestly think it took that long for Russell and the offense to figure out what SF was doing on defense, AND how to use Homer and Lynch effectively.

You noticed a lot more motion and RB passes out of the backfield in the 2nd half with Homer, who was actually pretty damn effective.

Which really is what gives me hope for the offense in the playoffs. I think Russell and Schotty figured out how to use Lynch and Homer, and that should pay dividends going forward.

It should not have taken a whole half for the OC, who is the one to make the changes not the QB, to figure that out, most of what SF did was the same crap they always do.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
We were going up against a great defense. To carve them up like that in the 2nd half just convinces me this team would soar if the offense was built around Russ

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Can you win the game in the 1st quarter? No
Can you win the game in the 2nd quarter? No
Can you win the game in the 3rd quarter? No
Can you win the game in the 4th quarter? Heck Yeah

This is Pete’s mantra. That’s why we suck when it comes to starting the games well because in Pete’s mind, only the last quarter matters.

Latest posts