Gary Gilliam signed to offer sheet by 49ers

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If Gilliam ihas his offer matched, and thus is re-signed the team could find themselves with two backup OTs being paid more guaranteed money than both starters. The OLine situation is certainly confused.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
So if he does well does this mean that Cable sucks as a coach, but excels as a talent evaluator?

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I'd rather match it and retain the depth. He's not great, but we can't afford to shed anymore linemen, even mediocre ones.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2mfdhz5i said:
They regularly have 12-15 candidates however all but 10 are camp bodies and PS players. The team has serious weakness at OT.

The RFA offer they have now for Gilliam is $1.797 million and that sum is accounted for in the team's cap. The SF offer @ $2.2 million is only $423 K less so the structure of SF's offer is important b/c the Hawks deal is not guaranteed and the SF offer is partially and that makes it an interesting difference that will give the team pause for thought. For this difference I can see JS matching as the team knows what they have in Gilliam which is backup level T play. Nothing special but barely adequate and probably better any reserve the team might find after the 1st rd. of the draft.

I think the team will likely match guaranteed or not.

BTW the team actually has 11 OLine players under contract and an offer outstanding to Gilliam which has just been upped by SF. If we include Ifedi in the tackle numbers the team with Gilliam would have 4 OTs, and only 2 are adequate at LT, Gilliam isn't one. There are a few others: Odhiambo, perhaps Pericak, and Britt in a pinch, who can play RT in a pinch.

Where do you see Gilliam in terms of the 11 on the roster now? Top 3? Top 5?

Jville

Reaction score
At this point, one might assume Gilliam will trade in his Seahawk helmet for a 49er helmet. The 49er contract guarantee and amount makes sense given the differences in cap room, anticipated 49er blocking scheme changes after coming off a poorer year, and bet on Gilliam as an emerging linemen who has yet to peak.

Gilliam takes with him 3 years of accumulated development and the balance of all snap experience at right tackle.

The Seahawks return, very nearly, back to square one to create competition at right tackle.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm still anticipating the possibility that a trade off might be made by conceding some athleticism for more power and physical play at right tackle. I would think Gilliam's departure would open up such speculation.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Jville":235ypfpo said:
I'm still anticipating the possibility that a trade off might be made by conceding some athleticism for more power and physical play at right tackle. I would think Gilliam's departure would open up such speculation.

But who?

Jville

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1192if3o said:
Jville":1192if3o said:

But who?
Germain Ifedi is the most mentioned name. #2 is Robert Myers as this years off season project for right tackle. The third competitor has yet to be named.

nash72

Reaction score
Gilliam was so bad that I would think he could easily be replaced in the draft. Speculation of course.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Josea16":x0e3xgtv said:
Hasselbeck":x0e3xgtv said:
Can't wait for JS to match and everyone to flip out. :lol:
It will be epic. Hope he can go Plan B. Just sign some fat grocery clerk as UFDA already. GTFO Gilliam. What a joke he is good luck Ninnies.

That's quality analysis right there.

This is the 49ers trying to drive up the price for Seattle. If they end up with a middling backup, so be it. I personally think Seattle is in no position to NOT match. Taking our tackle situation from a D to an F is very much a possibility.

Draft picks aren't a guarantee of squat.

Jville

Reaction score
nash72":2xuzswy1 said:
Gilliam was so bad that I would think he could easily be replaced in the draft. Speculation of course.

I'm reading that a plug in replacement for Gilliam selected from the 2017 draft is highly unlikely.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Jville":16yhssk9 said:
Uncle Si":16yhssk9 said:
Jville":16yhssk9 said:

But who?
Germain Ifedi is the most mentioned name. #2 is Robert Myers as this years off season project for right tackle. The third competitor has yet to be named.

Is letting him walk and keeping the money put us in a bind going into the draft though?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Clady's still out there and we already had the visit. Is it possible he gets anxious about not being signed and agrees to $2.2 million from us (same numbers Gilliam received)? Would he be a) be an upgrade and b) accept potentially being a backup?

Boycie

Reaction score
Jville":ecjftca4 said:
nash72":ecjftca4 said:

I'm reading that a plug in replacement for Gilliam selected from the 2017 draft is highly unlikely.

This^

This year's draft class for O line is garbage.

Jville

Reaction score
Uncle Si":39ju3p45 said:
Jville":39ju3p45 said:
Uncle Si":39ju3p45 said:
Jville":39ju3p45 said:

But who?

Is letting him walk and keeping the money put us in a bind going into the draft though?

If a change to the skills mix they seek at right tackle is in play, then probably not. My speculation is that they want more power and physicality at right tackle. Gilliam may be working on that ..... but they placed a limited bet (tender) on him getting that done. I suspect 2016 was the season he was scheduled to deliver. The Seahawk's limited tender did leave the door open for 2017. Now, for 5 days, they have the option of matching the 49er contract offer. Their decision will be telling.

EDIT followup: I think it interesting that, in turning down a 3 year offer and signing a 1 year offer, Gary Gilliam is betting on himself to continue to grow and improve. Gary is betting his best years are yet to come.

Seymour

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":ut56jkmg said:
Jville":ut56jkmg said:
nash72":ut56jkmg said:

This^

This year's draft class for O line is garbage.

Not to mention our drafting history on Oline being the worst position group on the team. Gilliam is insurance we CANNOT afford to risk being without at this point IMO. If we do, and one or more of the moves doesn't work as planned (almost a guarantee with Cable), then we are right back to square one....or worse. Don't get cute, just match the damn offer. :141847_bnono:

Blitzer88

Reaction score
That was quick.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/854359914357157888[/tweet]

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Well, that's just stupid. Guess we're rolling with Ifedi and having Joeckel, Glow, and Aboushi plow it out for the guard spots.

But then, injuries....

They better have a plan. The group was starting to look good.