George Fant

RussB

Reaction score
You know an o line is bad when they have a former Te/basketball player who barely played football at left tackle and a former te at right tackle.

mrt144

Reaction score
RussB":2lycfpnq said:
You know an o line is bad when they have a former Te/basketball player who barely played football at left tackle and a former te at right tackle.

Tackle Eligible every play.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills... put Ifedi at LT and stick Odhiambo or Webb at RG. Ifedi is a first round pick out of the SEC and, oh I don't know, has experience at the position?

pcbball12

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":a91rks90 said:
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills... put Ifedi at LT and stick Odhiambo or Webb at RG. Ifedi is a first round pick out of the SEC and, oh I don't know, has experience at the position?
Ifedi does not have experience at LT. He played RT while at A&M and RG. They wanted to move him to LT one year, but it did not work out that way.

RussB

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":7woc07h4 said:
Ifedi has experience at tackle? Didnt know that.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
I'm aware of where he played. He has two years as an SEC tackle, which is miles above Fant. The absolute last thing this line needs is a development project as green as Fant..

pcbball12

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":eqki9m6k said:
I'm aware of where he played. He has two years as an SEC tackle, which is miles above Fant. The absolute last thing this line needs is a development project as green as Fant..
It is not easy to just switch sides on the line, especially at tackle. It is all new footwork, and being asked to play on the left side when you have never done it? No thanks. Ifedi is still developing himself as a guard. He needs to stay where he is.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I'm thinking they may end up moving Gilliam over to LT and put Webb in at RT.

There's also the possibility they sign someone, but there aren't a lot of guys available and it could be tricky for the cap unless whomever they signed is willing to take a single-year deal for the rest of this season.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
pcbball12":2y4bj3rf said:
CodeWarrior":2y4bj3rf said:
It is not easy to just switch sides on the line, especially at tackle. It is all new footwork, and being asked to play on the left side when you have never done it? No thanks. Ifedi is still developing himself as a guard. He needs to stay where he is.

This is the conventional wisdom, yes, but not the line of thinking I feel most benefits this team. Given our bare bones OL spending philosophy we can't just throw first round picks inside because it's the easier transition. I'm convinced Ifedi should be playing tackle.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
If Britt really has figured things out maybe he is an option at LT with Hunt taking over at center.

Scary I know but right now it doesn't seem worse than any other option.

Webb scares me and Ifedi is not a LT. Gilliam already flamed out there so our options from my view are Britt or give Fant a chance.

Geologic

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":sbd0twan said:
The guy has virtually no experience. He played TE one year at WKU and from what I read, didn't play much at all.

Expecting him to protect our hobbled up QB seems like wanting to believe in unicorns.
I think the same thing about him. It's not a knock on Fant he just has no experience.

pcbball12

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":l00lv19q said:
pcbball12":l00lv19q said:
CodeWarrior":l00lv19q said:

This is the conventional wisdom, yes, but not the line of thinking I feel most benefits this team. Given our bare bones OL spending philosophy we can't just throw first round picks inside because it's the easier transition. I'm convinced Ifedi should be playing tackle.
I believe they are grooming him for tackle and it would be ideal for him to slide outside, but at RT not LT. I don't think he is comfortable on the left side. Otherwise, he would have been moved over there in college. I believe Pete and/or Cable also hinted to this in press conferences after they drafted him. That he would strictly be on the right side because that is where he has always played.