George Fant

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Did anyone else notice that Fant seemed to settle in as the game went on? This dude never played football at college level, and this was his first real football game since 8th grade or something.

mrt144

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":39eywjmc said:
Did anyone else notice that Fant seemed to settle in as the game went on? This dude never played football at college level, and this was his first real football game since 8th grade or something.

His background and inability to beat out Sowell to start doesn't inspire long term confidence.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":2w4i8z3q said:

Lets give him a few games, he's a rookie. I'm optimistic that he will do well.

He played both basketball and football and WKU.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Love his feet. He's very quick and naturally balanced.

But he's so green. That inside move Jones put on him just tied him up in knots.

I really like him as a factor on the roster next year. I think he has the tools to excel. But the experience gap is just staggering atm. If he does play this year, I'm hoping that his natural ability kicks in enough to keep Wilson from getting killed.

I'm not so sure that we might be better off with Fant after 6 games under his belt than an uninjured Sowell by mid December. But would have to survive those learning curve games.

I'd expect we don't expose him out there. No sense in ruining his confidence by putting him out there when he's not ready.

Jville

Reaction score
mrt144":2e7vsrto said:
SeahawksFanForever":2e7vsrto said:

His background and inability to beat out Sowell to start doesn't inspire long term confidence.

I think that had more to do with where Fant (and Odhiambo) were on their learning curve earlier in the season. There is a learning process at work.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
The guy has virtually no experience. He played TE one year at WKU and from what I read, didn't play much at all.

Expecting him to protect our hobbled up QB seems like wanting to believe in unicorns.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":3ivhopri said:
The guy has virtually no experience. He played TE one year at WKU and from what I read, didn't play much at all.

Expecting him to protect our hobbled up QB seems like wanting to believe in unicorns.
True, but he already looks better than Sowell and Gilliam. Believe me, this is an upgrade.

Jville

Reaction score
George Fant needs more snaps.

So does Ifedi .... and he is getting his snaps.

davidonmi

Reaction score
he'll be the who finally completes the PC/JS mission of putting wilson in a wheelchair

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
A lot of people on this board are pretty hard on Fant. I don't know. It seemed like the offense finally got going when he came in. I agree with jville. He needs more snaps. He got best by Jones on what, his third or fourth career snap? Jones is a proven edge rusher. If he happens to start the next few games and looks terrible, then we have a problem. But all things considered from last night, he looked like the best tackle on the Hawks line, and it wasn't even close.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":5zq4t71s said:
A lot of people on this board are pretty hard on Fant. I don't know. It seemed like the offense finally got going when he came in. I agree with jville. He needs more snaps. He got best by Jones on what, his third or fourth career snap? Jones is a proven edge rusher. If he happens to start the next few games and looks terrible, then we have a problem. But all things considered from last night, he looked like the best tackle on the Hawks line, and it wasn't even close.

Yes - and the reason we are hard on him is because he is the greenest of the green. You don't just take guys who basically have not played ANY meaningful football and make them starting left tackles in the NFL. We can predict how this movie will likely end. I'd like to be wrong but this isn't high school football.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
An undrafted rookie whose only football experience was seeing limited snaps as a backup/experimental TE at Western Kentucky in 2015 has absolutely no business seeing the field on the offensive line of an aspiring Super Bowl contender, never mind protecting the blind side of a QB already hobbled by injuries to both legs due to atrocious O-line play. This is not the time or place for on-the-job training and hoping upon hope in The George Fant Project, who is, at best, a year away from being a year away. This would be tantamount to the Cubs starting Tim Tebow in Right Field in the World Series right now. However they have to do it, the Hawks desperately need to acquire a veteran OT right away, that is beyond debate.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":1e92xexr said:
An undrafted rookie whose only football experience was seeing limited snaps as a backup/experimental TE at Western Kentucky in 2015 has absolutely no business seeing the field on the offensive line of an aspiring Super Bowl contender, never mind protecting the blind side of QB already hobbled by injuries to both legs due to atrocious O-line play. This is not the time or place for on-the-job training and hoping upon hope in The George Fant Project. This would be tantamount to the Cubs starting Tim Tebow at RF in the World Series right now. However they have to do it, the Hawks desperately need to acquire a veteran OT right away, that is beyond debate.

Maybe he'll be like that Sidd Finch guy. I wonder how many will remember ol' Sidd.

12thbrah

Reaction score
This team is not winning a Super Bowl with George Fant at left tackle.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":hteooe8u said:
Silver Hawk":hteooe8u said:

True, but he already looks better than Sowell and Gilliam.

He really doesn't.

Road_Dogs

Reaction score
12thbrah":3vbyswmp said:
This team is not winning a Super Bowl with George Fant at left tackle.

You are right !! Do you trust a novice rookie to protect your 20 million dollar qb blind side....This spells disaster.

Move somebody who has played the game...even if its Ifedi !!

A-Dog

Reaction score
Well, we are likely to have at least one week of Fant starting at LT... If he crashes and burns it might worth making an offer to Cleveland for Thomas - a future 2nd round pick seems reasonable for 2.5 years of solidity at LT during a championship window. It also looks like Sowell could be back in a month or less.

If Fant can come in and do a solid job against the Saints, and continue to improve like Gilliam did last year, that would be the best possible outcome... we'd have young, cheap bookend tackles with great upside, with Odhiambo and Webb as backups. We wouldn't have to give up picks or salary.

I'm reluctant to part with picks because this draft is very strong at edge rusher, and with Avril and Bennett starting next season at 31 years old and in the last year of their contracts, we need to add more pass rushers (ideally two of them, one of whom can play one of the DE spots and one who can play SAM linebacker).

davidonmi

Reaction score
Sorry but can you explain how Gilliam has "great upside?" Personally I'm not seeing it.
Thanks

mrt144

Reaction score
davidonmi":3d5fa892 said:
Sorry but can you explain how Gilliam has "great upside?" Personally I'm not seeing it.
Thanks

He can be marginally better while his salary remains static and low.

Latest posts