Getting Flynn's reps on tape important

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":1iilzoig said:
I wouldn't trade Flynn until after I had secured a QB to replace him. Seattle can't expect to win the division over SF if Josh Portis has to play 4-6 games in any given season. Additionally, Flynn's cap numbers the next two seasons are reasonable.

Now, if it's after the draft and we selected Aaron Murray and/or Matt Scott, I'd feel confident enough in those guys (very polished NFL skills) that Flynn could become expendable for a decent offer. I'd hate to take that risk before the draft though, unless a guy like Bruce Gradkowski or Tavaris Jackson remain available until after the draft as insurance.

I think I'd ask for at least a 3rd rounder for Flynn. It's often said that a good backup is worth a 4th, and Flynn is the best backup in the NFL. I truly believe that as a starter he'd be a top 15 QB- a bit like a poor man's Matt Ryan.
What if Flynn was the ticket to move up in the first round and get a targeted player?

SharkHawk

Reaction score
redhawk253":3av42n1h said:
Hawks46":3av42n1h said:
He had a stronger arm than I thought, and I still think he's more accurate on deep passes than Wilson (although Wilson has made HUGE strides in that area).

come on now that's silly.. wilson has always had a great deep ball even in college and i believe he's in the top 10 in the nfl this season in deep accuracy percentage.. someone with a pff premium account would have to verify this.. wilson's deep ball looks better than any qb we've had in seattle in the past 20 years.

Warren Moon had quite possibly the best deep ball in NFL history, so that's saying something if you think Wilson has already surpassed Moon.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1ejft82i said:
What I saw out there had NOTHING to do with trade bait. People have game film of Flynn in games. He's got 2 real season starts under his belt. That time on the field was strictly to get him a little work with the guys in case something happens to Wilson. Wilson is great at escaping and using his legs, and getting out of bounds and sliding to avoid the big hits, but it only takes one ankle twist or hit to the head and he's out. In slop time, you get your backup some playing time. Personally it drives me crazy when a coach puts the backup in games like this just to hand the ball off. If that's all they are going to do, you can have the starter do that. Odds are pretty slim that a qb gets hurt handing the ball off.

You put the backups in to get them real game reps, so IF the time ever comes, they are just that much better prepared to handle it. Whether Pete and John trade Flynn in the offseason had nothing to do with the trade value, and everything to do with getting real game reps in case of emergency.
Stick a bow on this,,You wrapped it up nicely kid.
All your points well given.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
sam1313":3tvgwrcm said:
To all those saying Flynn has no trade value - I bet you also said that TJ had no trade value. PC/JS know more than us, and we should never doubt there ability to maximize the value of an asset.

Its not that he doesn't have trade value....everyone has value. Unfortunately his value isn't what many here think it is.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2fputhyt said:
What if Flynn was the ticket to move up in the first round and get a targeted player?

I really like the depth in the early rounds of this draft- I feel pretty good about getting a nice player with a playoff draft slot. So no, probably not. Unless that player is Bjoern Werner or Jarvis Jones (if Carroll changed his tune on that neck injury). I'd happily trade up for either one. Both will be excellent pass rushers (if healthy) and pass rush is still a big need for Seattle. Better to get Chris Clemons' successor (or Bruce Irvin's replacement once he succeeds Clemons) too early than too late.

The other thing is that who is going to trade with us in the 1st? Seattle could be picking very late next spring, and Flynn's value probably means the best we could hope for as a trade up would be the 10-20 range. The only teams that could make sense for that scenario are the Bills and Jets. Actually, I could see the Jets pulling the trigger on that, come to think of it. Arizona would be wise to call and ask, but I wouldn't trade them Flynn at almost any price. I think he could do wonders for that team especially if they finally build a decent line in the next couple seasons.

Jville":2fputhyt said:
Josh Portis is no longer on a roster in Seattle.

He's been on and off the practice squad. He will probably be back with the team next Summer.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SharkHawk":3jmkqey4 said:
redhawk253":3jmkqey4 said:
come on now that's silly.. wilson has always had a great deep ball even in college and i believe he's in the top 10 in the nfl this season in deep accuracy percentage.. someone with a pff premium account would have to verify this.. wilson's deep ball looks better than any qb we've had in seattle in the past 20 years.

Warren Moon had quite possibly the best deep ball in NFL history, so that's saying something if you think Wilson has already surpassed Moon.

Actually Shark, Warren Moon said that Wilsons deep passes were extraordinary, and I doubt he was bullshitting.

I don't know that Wilsons deep passes are hotter than warrens', but I doubt there are many that can honestly argue that they aren't equally impressive.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2fufbox6 said:
sam1313":2fufbox6 said:
To all those saying Flynn has no trade value - I bet you also said that TJ had no trade value. PC/JS know more than us, and we should never doubt there ability to maximize the value of an asset.

Its not that he doesn't have trade value....everyone has value. Unfortunately his value isn't what many here think it is.

The point is, NOBODY KNOWS one way or the other of how high his value is, everyone has conjecture, and a wide array of opinions of either high or low, but "Unfortunately" for anyone stateing with certainty that THEIRS is the correct answer.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
sam1313":31frcbbs said:

Jackson got us a 7th round pick.

That's very close to 'no trade value'.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
scutterhawk":yqx96oww said:
T-Sizzle":yqx96oww said:
sam1313":yqx96oww said:

The point is, NOBODY KNOWS one way or the other of how high his value is, everyone has conjecture, and a wide array of opinions of either high or low, but "Unfortunately" for anyone stateing with certainty that THEIRS is the correct answer.
I think I was pretty clear in saying his value can't be established right now, there is no market. There are coaches and GMs who won't even have their jobs in a couple of months. There will be new GMs needing to get players. Free agency isn't until March, right? The draft in April. It will be some time before there is any market at all.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":vduevohk said:
SharkHawk":vduevohk said:
redhawk253":vduevohk said:

Actually Shark, Warren Moon said that Wilsons deep passes were extraordinary, and I doubt he was bullshitting.

I don't know that Wilsons deep passes are hotter than warrens', but I doubt there are many that can honestly argue that they aren't equally impressive.

I never said Wilson had a poor deep ball. It doesn't have to be one or the other. I think Warren saying that Russell throws a great deep ball means a lot, because in my opinion Warren threw the best deep ball in NFL history. Me saying that Russell isn't at Warren's level yet isn't a knock on him. He's a rookie who wins games and is the best QB we've ever drafted thus far. But to say you're not quite Warren Moon is like me saying that Earl Thomas isn't quite Kenny Easley. It's not an insult. To be mentioned on the same page, let alone in the same sentence is complimentary enough if you ask me. Warren Moon is in the hall of fame. He had his prime years stolen from him by the racist jerks who ran franchises in those days, and he still threw for about a million yards. The guy was dropping bombs as a Hawks QB when he was about my age. Russell will develop more and more and someday he'll be talked about the same way folks talk about Mr. Moon. The fact that Warren sees so much in Russell and points out the little things he does well gives me 100% confidence that Russ isn't going to drop off considerably, but will rather have a very Moon-like career, and I'll take that. But I still don't think his deep ball is at Warren's prime level yet. It will get there... but not being there 13 games into your rookie season is no reason to be ashamed.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2vkhvj9j said:
scutterhawk":2vkhvj9j said:
T-Sizzle":2vkhvj9j said:

I think I was pretty clear in saying his value can't be established right now, there is no market. There are coaches and GMs who won't even have their jobs in a couple of months. There will be new GMs needing to get players. Free agency isn't until March, right? The draft in April. It will be some time before there is any market at all.

I think we can all agree that Matt Flynn won't be traded this season.
Caroll's decision to pull RW early in the 3rd was multifaceted and you guys pointed them out.
Sure we can't risk RW getting injured in meaningless minutes of a blowout.
Yes it is important to get your back up QB comfortable in game situations as we ready for the playoffs.
However, we all know Matt Flynn is a competitor who does not want to be left out when teams do the quarterback shuffle in the off-season. We know Flynn is determined to be a starter and deservingly so. The more time he spends riding the pine behind a talented rookie the more likely he may be viewed a career backup like Sage Rosenfels.
IMO, It's never too early to showcase your talent and the last thing he needs is to become complacent. This season saw many young passers claim franchises for themselves and many veterans in the hotseat. There won't be a Peyton Manning player available this off-season but there will likely be more passers available (Alex Smith, Mike Vick, Ponder, Sanchez, Tebow, Rex Grossman, Moore, etc..). All of them with more playing time then Flynn.

I think PC understands Matt's plight and showcasing him does indeed benefit Flynn as much as it does the team. It's never too early to showcase yourself for the offseason's conversations. Case in point: Kirk Cousins whose value has likely risen manyfolds following his clutch play in relief of RG3. Kirk's situation mirrors Russell Wilson's in that both were 3rd stringers at the start who had to prove themselves. Cousins beat out Rex Grossman and would have had the start if it weren't for a phenom named RG3. Franchises that missed out on drafting Russell Wilson may find someone similar in Cousins who has all the intangeables (leadership, competitiveness, arm strength and intelligence). Like RW he fell in the draft due to combine measurables. He is taller than Flynn, has a stronger arm, is clutch under pressure AND comes at a cheaper price than even Russell Wilson which means he's likely going to get as many considerations as Flynn in the off-season.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":cbykyfdb said:
Scottemojo":cbykyfdb said:
scutterhawk":cbykyfdb said:

I think we can all agree that Matt Flynn won't be traded this season.

Oh yes, on this we can all agree. Particularly as the trade deadline has already passed.