Glowinski vs Poole

McGruff

Reaction score
hawknation2015":305275ih said:
McGruff":305275ih said:
Plus Sweezy will be RFA eligible, so they can put a high round tender on him for a mid-vet one year contract and call it good.

In 2015 it was 3.3 million for a 1st round tender and 2.3 million for a 2nd round tender. For instance, Jermaine Kearse received a second round tender.

Can you refresh my recollection on how the tender process works with someone who is an unrestricted free agent, i.e. more than three years of accrued seasons? The links I am seeing show Sweezy as "UFA" next season.

OMIgvqx

You are right. I was wrong. I was thinking this was only Sweezy's third season, but since it is his 4th, he will be a UFA.

Also, Sweezy got a sizable bump in his final year contract. Does anyone remember if that was some kind of collectively bargained bump or was that team initiated?

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2j93qkau said:
McGruff":2j93qkau said:
Plus Sweezy will be RFA eligible, so they can put a high round tender on him for a mid-vet one year contract and call it good.

In 2015 it was 3.3 million for a 1st round tender and 2.3 million for a 2nd round tender. For instance, Jermaine Kearse received a second round tender.

Can you refresh my recollection on how the tender process works with someone who is an unrestricted free agent, i.e. more than three accrued seasons? The links I am seeing show Sweezy as "UFA" next season.

OMIgvqx

I am pretty sure that RFA is for undrafted players with less than 3 years experience. Sweezy is a UFA next year.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
McGruff":24wfwafn said:
hawknation2015":24wfwafn said:
McGruff":24wfwafn said:

Can you refresh my recollection on how the tender process works with someone who is an unrestricted free agent, i.e. more than three years of accrued seasons? The links I am seeing show Sweezy as "UFA" next season.

OMIgvqx

You are right. I was wrong. I was thinking this was only Sweezy's third season, but since it is his 4th, he will be a UFA.

Also, Sweezy got a sizable bump in his final year contract. Does anyone remember if that was some kind of collectively bargained bump or was that team initiated?

I don't think they have modified his contract, so probably a CBA deal.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I guess I somewhat disagree with the concept the team see Sweezy as disposable or fungible, ultimately the dividends of him being a high quality interior OLineman are now starting to vest and he may be seen a more valuable piece of the O going forward than an oft injured highly penalized LT who 'only when healthy' is a high quality player. I suppose for both price is everything but Sneezy may be cheaper than Okung and able to deliver more consistently.

McGruff

Reaction score
When his coaches mention him in the same breath as Steve Hutchinson, you can bet he's part of their long term plans.

Largent80

Reaction score
This system is a revolving door on O-Line. It has been shown for quite some time, so there isn't any real reason to worry about it, unless you like to worry.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
jammerhawk":ww6i03dt said:
I guess I somewhat disagree with the concept the team see Sweezy as disposable or fungible, ultimately the dividends of him being a high quality interior OLineman are now starting to vest and he may be seen a more valuable piece of the O going forward than an oft injured highly penalized LT who 'only when healthy' is a high quality player. I suppose for both price is everything but Sneezy may be cheaper than Okung and able to deliver more consistently.

That's true, but we are developing ready alternatives to Sweezy by drafting three interior linemen.

We don't really have a legitimate LT prospect on the roster, at least no one I would feel comfortable with starting in a must-win situation like the playoffs. Gilliam is still so raw, and Bailey is just too weak as a run blocker and does not have ideal height to allow him to makeup space when he is beaten outside. When Bailey was forced to start at RT against Green Bay, he was regularly abused, which is part of what made it an especially rough outing for Wilson.

MildGeneralGosling.gif

Here, you see Bailey trying to drop back into pass pro. He has very quick feet for a big man, but his lack of length causes him to get his feet crossed while trying to mirror the edge rusher to the outside. He ends up losing leverage and getting knocked back. That's why OTs are typically taller than 6'3, and ideally more like 6'6, not just so that they are more likely to have longer arms, but also so that they can more quickly make up space on the outside with fewer foot steps. Even though Okung is not as quick as Bailey, he is taller, which allows him to more easily make up ground to the outside.

Basis4day

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2htacnut said:
McGruff":2htacnut said:
hawknation2015":2htacnut said:
McGruff":2htacnut said:

OMIgvqx

I don't think they have modified his contract, so probably a CBA deal.

The bump is from a performance based pay fund under the new CBA which is based on playing time and salary.

As for RFA vs UFA, under the new CBA all players drafted in rds 2-7 get a 4 year deal so RFA is much rarer and pretty much reserved for undrafted players who catch on like Baldwin and Kearse.

Tical21

Reaction score
A couple thoughts. They took Poole before Glowinski, right? Maybe they seem as being closer to starting in their scheme? He's a bit more of Carpenter type.

By putting Glowinski behind Sweezy, they can at least see what they might have in a potential replacement, in an apples to apples sorta way. Maybe Glowinski is so good that they can save 25 million bucks. Only one way to find out.

How much is Sweezy really going to get on the open market anyways?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Tical21":32f0p500 said:
A couple thoughts. They took Poole before Glowinski, right? Maybe they seem as being closer to starting in their scheme? He's a bit more of Carpenter type.

By putting Glowinski behind Sweezy, they can at least see what they might have in a potential replacement, in an apples to apples sorta way. Maybe Glowinski is so good that they can save 25 million bucks. Only one way to find out.

How much is Sweezy really going to get on the open market anyways?

More than Carpenter I would bet . . . much better run blocker and overall athlete, more consistent, and way fewer injuries.

I am anticipating that Glow will start to see some reps at Left Guard once the pads get on and he starts hitting the snot out of the defense, forcing more of a competition at the Left Guard position.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Maybe Sweezy will get more than Carp but then again he's a better player than Carp. Carp got a deal that wasn't unaffordable to the team it's more likely the team chose not to pay him considering his injury history.

In terms of reps at LG this says to me is the team is slowly developing some high potential interior depth.

Tical21

Reaction score
Glowinski played RG in college, Poole played LT, at least later in their careers. Staying on the same side makes them way more comfortable while they get their feet under them, especially if either of them are side dominant. I remember switching from the left to right side halfway through my senior high school season (high school, I know), and I was about 60% of myself going forward. My footwork wasn't right, I didn't pop people as hard with my left shoulder as my right, and I felt very uncomfortable in my fits. For the first two weeks, my guard was like "what the hell is wrong with you?" I instantly went from punishing people to sliding off of blocks. The transition was that difficult. Just no reason to go through that now. Let's find out what they can do first.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
It is not difficult to switch sides as a Guard.

If Cable thinks Glowinski can start at left guard they will plug him in there. If Sweezy leaves in FA they can move him back to the right side.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Tical21":1mi6j162 said:
Glowinski played RG in college, Poole played LT, at least later in their careers. Staying on the same side makes them way more comfortable while they get their feet under them, especially if either of them are side dominant. I remember switching from the left to right side halfway through my senior high school season (high school, I know), and I was about 60% of myself going forward. My footwork wasn't right, I didn't pop people as hard with my left shoulder as my right, and I felt very uncomfortable in my fits. For the first two weeks, my guard was like "what the hell is wrong with you?" I instantly went from punishing people to sliding off of blocks. The transition was that difficult. Just no reason to go through that now. Let's find out what they can do first.

While it is true that some linemen find it difficult to make that transition, other players are capable of changing sides fairly easily. Justin Britt is just the most recent example. He played LT exclusively as a senior at Missouri, then made the move to RT last year, and started all 18 games there that he played as a rookie.

I mostly started at left guard in high school, but was also asked to move all around to different positions depending on the opponent or even certain play calls. I personally had no difficulty moving from left guard to right guard or tackle, as I practiced my footwork both ways. The only thing that was hard was having to start at center in one game after having never snapped a football in my life; that was after our starting center and backup got hurt. Somehow we avoided a single fumbled exchange, but I was playing extremely tentatively the whole time and our QB played the worst game of his life. Terrible experience all around.

Partly from having had that experience, I understand Sokoli has his work cut out for him to learn how to make the line calls, snap the ball, and to get out of his stance quickly. It's just not a natural thing for some people.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I don't think Sweezy would be hard to re-sign.

I can see a 4 yr, 22m contract. The FO could design in a way that's contract friendly in first years 4, 5, 6, 7 cap hits. If they like him and project him as potentially elite guard the numbers take care of themselves. Give Sweezy a 6m signing bonus.. He makes 8.5 but costs only 4m against the cap. And if needed they could certainly drop that 1st year cap hit lower to 2.5-3m. 2.5, 5.5, 6.5, 7.5.

cdallan

Reaction score
Potential landing spots for Sweezy probably are limited to teams that run the ZBS. He's a plus athlete, so I don't think a team running a power scheme is really going to pay him as much to effectively play in a box where his athleticism isn't as important. Plus he's a better run blocker than pass blocker, so that rules out a few pass-first teams from valuing him highly. On balance I think he stays, unless one of the rookies makes him expendable.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1uu5jlwy said:
Tical21":1uu5jlwy said:

While it is true that some linemen find it difficult to make that transition, other players are capable of changing sides fairly easily. Justin Britt is just the most recent example. He played LT exclusively as a senior at Missouri, then made the move to RT last year, and started all 18 games there that he played as a rookie.

Justin Britt's not the best example as right tackle is his best position. The reason most saw the pick as a reach was because he struggled at LT his senior year and, as Tom Cable said, he did some "weird things", but when he put on Britt's junior tape, when he played RT, he looked much more natural.

Carpenter is another example of someone who struggled to play the right side, but instantly played better when moved back to the left side, the position he played for four years at Bama.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":gadc2ozy said:
hawknation2015":gadc2ozy said:
Tical21":gadc2ozy said:

Justin Britt's not the best example as right tackle is his best position. The reason most saw the pick as a reach was because he struggled at LT his senior year and, as Tom Cable said, he did some "weird things", but when he put on Britt's junior tape, when he played RT, he looked much more natural.

Carpenter is another example of someone who struggled to play the right side, but instantly played better when moved back to the left side, the position he played for four years at Bama.

Speaking from experience, switching sides on the offensive line is nowhere near as difficult as some of you make it out to be.

Max Unger moved from right guard in HS, to LT at Oregon as a true freshman, to center during his final two seasons. When Alvin Bailey was at Arkansas, he would actually rotate between right and left guard depending on the play/alignment. As a Seahawk, he has played as a swing tackle on both sides of the line, LT, LG, and RT. Walter Jones was a former TE, and TEs have to be able to block from both sides of the line. Moving from defense to offensive line, as Sweezy and Sokoli have done, is far more challenging than simply switching sides. I think that is especially true for interior linemen.

We have to remember we are talking specifically about Glowinski, who actually started out at LT. In fact, Glowinski was a LT for his first three years of eligibility, only making the move to guard in the spring of his junior year. So it is not as if he is totally unfamiliar with playing on the left side of the line.

[youtube]kPPHjrF8Tes[/youtube]

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Poole and Glow aren't really the same 'type' of OG.

It's pretty clear based on the picks and projects/FAs we're signed, that Cable has two prototypes for each OG set. This roster is now littered with them. At LG, we've opted for size (~320) while at RG, we've preferred guys right in the 295-310 range. Crazy movement skills have been a premium there with all but Moffitt having really good agility.

While Seattle is light on immediate quality to replace Okung, it's certainly not been for a lack of effort. Garrett Scott was about as close of a prototype we've chosen and it was a real shame that his heart defect robbed him of opportunity. But even now with Gilliam and now Davis, we currently have 2 mirrors for Okung physically. Getting LTs that fit our physical profile is not very easy. This is a big year for Gilliam.

Glowinski, from the moment he was chosen, struck me as an obvious successor to Sweezy. I fully expect us to want to resign him, but for him to get priced off our roster on the open market just as Tate was. Glowinski appears in every respect to be a very strong hedge against what I assume, and what Seattle presumes, will be a tough player to retain. Everything about him, and how he's being groomed has confirmed that speculation in my view.

I'm actually quite encouraged by the 4 new OL we've added. And I would not be the least surprised if 3 of them made the opening day active roster. It's worth noting, that while Gilliam is a relative unknown quantity, he was good enough even in his first year in transition from TE to OT, that he made the active 45 in all but one game last year. Pete clearly has a lot of regard for him, because he's not shy about leaving players off the list if they aren't likely to be tested.

I would say that Gilliam's progress is worth watching the closest this year amongst the OL group. Because if he develops and continues to earn the coach's confidence he's probably our 2016 starting LT. If Seattle manages to groom and develop a LT from scratch in that fashion -- that'd be a huge win for the club in it's efforts to keeping the roster at a high level. Poole, Glow and Sokoli probably will have significant growing pains as this is their first year. Pains that could be masked if the starters remain healthy. Gilliam is in year two and should be at a point where he starts being effective on the field.

Largent80

Reaction score
Lol. These draft choices are for immediate need not worrying about if they can resign any of our current players. You guys spend too much time over thinking everything.