Glowinski vs Poole

McGruff

Reaction score
hawknation2015":201gv1yk said:
Recon_Hawk":201gv1yk said:
hawknation2015":201gv1yk said:
Tical21":201gv1yk said:
Glowinski played RG in college, Poole played LT, at least later in their careers. Staying on the same side makes them way more comfortable while they get their feet under them, especially if either of them are side dominant. I remember switching from the left to right side halfway through my senior high school season (high school, I know), and I was about 60% of myself going forward. My footwork wasn't right, I didn't pop people as hard with my left shoulder as my right, and I felt very uncomfortable in my fits. For the first two weeks, my guard was like "what the hell is wrong with you?" I instantly went from punishing people to sliding off of blocks. The transition was that difficult. Just no reason to go through that now. Let's find out what they can do first.

While it is true that some linemen find it difficult to make that transition, other players are capable of changing sides fairly easily. Justin Britt is just the most recent example. He played LT exclusively as a senior at Missouri, then made the move to RT last year, and started all 18 games there that he played as a rookie.

Justin Britt's not the best example as right tackle is his best position. The reason most saw the pick as a reach was because he struggled at LT his senior year and, as Tom Cable said, he did some "weird things", but when he put on Britt's junior tape, when he played RT, he looked much more natural.

Carpenter is another example of someone who struggled to play the right side, but instantly played better when moved back to the left side, the position he played for four years at Bama.

Speaking from experience, switching sides on the offensive line is nowhere near as difficult as some of you make it out to be.

Max Unger moved from right guard in HS, to LT at Oregon as a true freshman, to center during his final two seasons. When Alvin Bailey was at Arkansas, he would actually rotate between right and left guard depending on the play/alignment. As a Seahawk, he has played as a swing tackle on both sides of the line, LT, LG, and RT. Walter Jones was a former TE, and TEs have to be able to block from both sides of the line. Moving from defense to offensive line, as Sweezy and Sokoli have done, is far more challenging than simply switching sides. I think that is especially true for interior linemen.

We have to remember we are talking specifically about Glowinski, who actually started out at LT. In fact, Glowinski was a LT for his first three years of eligibility, only making the move to guard in the spring of his junior year. So it is not as if he is totally unfamiliar with playing on the left side of the line.

[youtube]kPPHjrF8Tes[/youtube]

Okay, I just gotta say Watch Glowinski on the first play of this video. He blocks his man, quickly transitions to the second level, and throw a linebacker 10 yards downfield. And makes it look like nothing.

He's a freakin' super hero.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":4iuwl4y0 said:
Recon_Hawk":4iuwl4y0 said:
hawknation2015":4iuwl4y0 said:
Tical21":4iuwl4y0 said:
Glowinski played RG in college, Poole played LT, at least later in their careers. Staying on the same side makes them way more comfortable while they get their feet under them, especially if either of them are side dominant. I remember switching from the left to right side halfway through my senior high school season (high school, I know), and I was about 60% of myself going forward. My footwork wasn't right, I didn't pop people as hard with my left shoulder as my right, and I felt very uncomfortable in my fits. For the first two weeks, my guard was like "what the hell is wrong with you?" I instantly went from punishing people to sliding off of blocks. The transition was that difficult. Just no reason to go through that now. Let's find out what they can do first.

While it is true that some linemen find it difficult to make that transition, other players are capable of changing sides fairly easily. Justin Britt is just the most recent example. He played LT exclusively as a senior at Missouri, then made the move to RT last year, and started all 18 games there that he played as a rookie.

Justin Britt's not the best example as right tackle is his best position. The reason most saw the pick as a reach was because he struggled at LT his senior year and, as Tom Cable said, he did some "weird things", but when he put on Britt's junior tape, when he played RT, he looked much more natural.

Carpenter is another example of someone who struggled to play the right side, but instantly played better when moved back to the left side, the position he played for four years at Bama.

Speaking from experience, switching sides on the offensive line is nowhere near as difficult as some of you make it out to be.

Max Unger moved from right guard in HS, to LT at Oregon as a true freshman, to center during his final two seasons. When Alvin Bailey was at Arkansas, he would actually rotate between right and left guard depending on the play/alignment. As a Seahawk, he has played as a swing tackle on both sides of the line, LT, LG, and RT. Walter Jones was a former TE, and TEs have to be able to block from both sides of the line. Moving from defense to offensive line, as Sweezy and Sokoli have done, is far more challenging than simply switching sides. I think that is especially true for interior linemen.

We have to remember we are talking specifically about Glowinski, who actually started out at LT. In fact, Glowinski was a LT for his first three years of eligibility, only making the move to guard in the spring of his junior year. So it is not as if he is totally unfamiliar with playing on the left side of the line.

[youtube]kPPHjrF8Tes[/youtube]

Unger sucked as a rookie at RG, made the switch to his "natural" position at center (again tom cable's words) and excelled. Britt was a 5th round pick as a LT, but a 2nd rounder as a right tackle.

The margin of error in the NFL is too small to compare to switching positions in high school or college. I'm sure it's not super hard to switch positions for an offensive linemen, but I bet it's hard to be equally good at either at the NFL level. That's the point I'm trying to make. These rookies will get their chance to learn other spots, but if you want to speed up the learning process, and have them compete for a spot DAY 1, start them where they are best at.

Either way, I agree with Attyla the Hawk on why Glowinski is playing RG and Poole at LG. Cable has his prototype for each spot.

Seafan

Reaction score
Glowinski took snaps at center this week. If the Hawks want to put their 5 best lineman on the field it will have to include Glowinski.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Seafan":22a6au5g said:
Glowinski took snaps at center this week. If the Hawks want to put their 5 best lineman on the field it will have to include Glowinski.

Interesting, I hadn't heard about that yet. Do you have a link?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I think some people cofuse Glowinski (white boy) with Nowak (white boy). Nowak got some 1st team reps this week.

Jville

Reaction score
King Dog":1ewtq1w6 said:
What's the reasoning for slotting Poole at LG and Glowinski at RG? Everything I've read about Glowinski makes it sound like he was a steal in the 4th round and the kind of player you could plug in and start his rookie year. Conversely, it sounds like Poole is more of a project.

It seems odd to have him competing against an entrenched starter like Sweezy instead of LG where there's definitely an opening this year.

I don't see the prime role of OTA's and mini camps as a competition among players or as a definitive statement as to who fits where. Instead, I see it as an orientations for coaches, scouts and front office as to what their personnel choices have in the way of learning skills and movement skills. It is an early opportunity for the staff to self grade previous evaluations and projections. It is also an opportunity to self scout for purposes of sharpening and finalizing plans for training camp.

Personnel deployment and combination should begin in earnest sometime in early August.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
How many offensive linemen do we carry this year? Last year, we carried nine.

Ten seems likely this year. We have never carried 11 in the Carroll Era.

Okung
Britt
Sweezy
Bailey
Jeanpierre
Glowninski
Poole
Sokoli
Gilliam
Lewis

Nowak probably goes back to the practice squad.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":hsey4ao3 said:

Okung
Britt
Sweezy
Bailey
Jeanpierre
Glowninski
Poole
Sokoli
Gilliam
Lewis

I'd say 10 is possible. But I don't see us keeping LJP and Lewis. Probably just one of those. I think it's pretty likely that Sokoli will not make the practice squad and if we hope to retain him, he'll have to be active or go on IR. And it's not likely he clears waivers. We've not had that avenue available to us for some time, as teams poach our roster consistently.

I expect, that Seattle will keep a lot of the youth and will just limp along if they are pressed for duty due to injury. It's also possible that one or more of these names are placed on IR before the season. But I do think it'll be likelier that we keep 9 as we've done in years past. I figured we only had 3 possible roster spots open, and really it looks like we've added 4 new guys we hope to keep (Davis as well). It'll be tough to run with 4 first year players on the active roster. So I don't see us holding on to three centers.

It's also merits watching how Sokoli does. He's so raw. It may be a case of we like him long term but end up losing him to another team because we can't keep him active. He may have to prove to be a very quick learner in order to justify keeping him on the books. I don't see us stashing him on the PS as a possibility.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1t8nd7vf said:
hawknation2015":1t8nd7vf said:

Okung
Britt
Sweezy
Bailey
Jeanpierre
Glowninski
Poole
Sokoli
Gilliam
Lewis

I'd say 10 is possible. But I don't see us keeping LJP and Lewis. Probably just one of those. I think it's pretty likely that Sokoli will not make the practice squad and if we hope to retain him, he'll have to be active or go on IR. And it's not likely he clears waivers. We've not had that avenue available to us for some time, as teams poach our roster consistently.

I expect, that Seattle will keep a lot of the youth and will just limp along if they are pressed for duty due to injury. It's also possible that one or more of these names are placed on IR before the season. But I do think it'll be likelier that we keep 9 as we've done in years past. I figured we only had 3 possible roster spots open, and really it looks like we've added 4 new guys we hope to keep (Davis as well). It'll be tough to run with 4 first year players on the active roster. So I don't see us holding on to three centers.

It's also merits watching how Sokoli does. He's so raw. It may be a case of we like him long term but end up losing him to another team because we can't keep him active. He may have to prove to be a very quick learner in order to justify keeping him on the books. I don't see us stashing him on the PS as a possibility.

We did carry 10 offensive linemen in 2013, 2011, and 2010. So that's 3/5 years under Carroll. Jeanpierre and Nowak are potentially tall and athletic enough to also play guard. Then again, we also have Glowinski, Poole, and Sokoli as options at guard.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":60h6hanw said:
hawknation2015":60h6hanw said:

Okung
Britt
Sweezy
Bailey
Jeanpierre
Glowninski
Poole
Sokoli
Gilliam
Lewis

I don't agree.

We drafted a DT to convert him to an Olineman.

What other team would take on that challenge and add Sokoli to their 53-man roster?

I say none.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1lvdptr3 said:
Attyla the Hawk":1lvdptr3 said:
hawknation2015":1lvdptr3 said:

Okung
Britt
Sweezy
Bailey
Jeanpierre
Glowninski
Poole
Sokoli
Gilliam
Lewis

I don't agree.

What other team would take on that challenge and add Sokoli to their 53-man roster?

I say none.

Cleveland

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
hawknation2015":jpgqep9j said:
onanygivensunday":jpgqep9j said:
I don't agree.

I say none.

Cleveland
Pls explain why Cleveland would want to sign Soloki to their 53-man roster.

netskier

Reaction score
To get a three sigma SPARQ offensive lineman, the same reason we want him. Might even be three sigma defense, and four sigma offense. First ever if I recall correctly.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
netskier":1wqmm3k5 said:
To get a three sigma SPARQ offensive lineman, the same reason we want him. Might even be three sigma defense, and four sigma offense. First ever if I recall correctly.

That's right. He's the only player in the NFL whose SPARQ is four standard deviations higher than the average player at his position. He's an absolute freak.

http://3sigmaathlete.com/2015/05/02/mic-drop/

onanygivensunday":1wqmm3k5 said:
hawknation2015":1wqmm3k5 said:
onanygivensunday":1wqmm3k5 said:
I don't agree.

I say none.

Cleveland
Pls explain why Cleveland would want to sign Soloki to their 53-man roster.

Cleveland is one of those teams that loves to poach our waived players, and they are pretty high up there on the pecking order. Also see above.

If I were the 49ers, I would try to claim him as well.

netskier

Reaction score
I would be amazed if we expose him to poaching. Cable said we want to increase the athleticism of our offensive line, and Sokoli is the way to do that.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2y2vm8g9 said:
I don't agree.

I say none.

We could take that risk. Although Jared Smith, who doesn't have near the potential Sokoli does, was picked up by Quinn. Smith languished on the UFA rolls for awhile.

Figure it this way. We've drafted 4 OL in the 6th/7th rounds in 2013/14. Bowie, Seymour and Smith were all snapped up after being released from Seattle and are still kicking around the league. Scott is the only one not on a roster and certainly would likely have been on our team were it not for his heart condition.

Sokoli definitely has significant quality -- as a project OL, he's a better physical prospect than any of the guys we've taken. So I would not expect him to still be available if we try to cut him. And we've seen this repeatedly with us trying to stash guys on the PS. So yeah, I'd fully expect Sokoli to get snatched up almost immediately if we tried to PS him.

We may disagree on this point. But the track record for the league poaching our final cuts is pretty well established. Last year in particular we had a rough time getting guys through waivers. I expect this year to be no different.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":38sr19l2 said:
Attyla the Hawk":38sr19l2 said:
hawknation2015":38sr19l2 said:

Okung
Britt
Sweezy
Bailey
Jeanpierre
Glowninski
Poole
Sokoli
Gilliam
Lewis

I don't agree.

I say none.

Agreed. he will clear waivers and make it to the PS if it comes to that.

two dog

Reaction score
grizbob":17yczdjt said:
Lords of Scythia":17yczdjt said:
Can you believe we got Sweeze as a sixth-round dt and converted him into a o-line guy too expensive to keep? Whoever in the Hawks that did that is a genius.

I believe it was the same Tom Cable that some around these here parts were calling a bum :roll:

You are exactly right. In fact, Cable made a trip to NC state specifically to work
Sweezy out and then targeted him in the draft.

Regarding Cable's reputation as a bum among some fans. He has been handed
the smallest budget per player on the team. His sow's ears may not be silk purses
but they must be adequate. Two Super Bowls, no ?