GO SEAHAWKS!! GO YOU FREAKING SEAHAWKS!!! >:/

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Makes sense. I just don't see the fascination with HOW a team wins. Might be of the minority. They went 16-3 last year, with a title. And there were some nail biters. No style points in the NFL. Just get the W somehow, someway.

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3cnookbs said:
Makes sense. I just don't see the fascination with HOW a team wins. Might be of the minority. They went 16-3 last year, with a title. And there were some nail biters. No style points in the NFL. Just get the W somehow, someway.

That is a very very good point. In the end it's a win or loss, all the way up to the Super Bowl. You win or you lose.

I think you'd agree though that if the Hawks had more of that swagger and killer instinct, and things were rolling, even with the same win loss record, you'd be more confident that they'd win the next game.

It's been lacking this year, and that is what makes me feel like if they win, as you put it, it'd be a fortunate win.

But like I said, I'd rather you totally be right, the Hawks show some spirit and come and kill it. *AND* win.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A lot of new faces, and the injury bug really hit them. Not an excuse, just reality. Shoot, sitting at 6-4 is pretty damn good considering how banged up they have been, especially on the O-Line.
Shoot, if somone actually listed all the players who have missed games, I think it would really put it all into prespective.

HawkWow

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":z7zfgvbw said:
A lot of new faces, and the injury bug really hit them. Not an excuse, just reality. Shoot, sitting at 6-4 is pretty damn good considering how banged up they have been, especially on the O-Line.
Shoot, if somone actually listed all the players who have missed games, I think it would really put it all into prespective.

But why suddenly bring reality into the equation?

When others express what they feel our reality is (typically along the same lines of what you just wrote), you basically ridicule them and all but compare them to organic jihadists. Odd.

olyfan63

Reaction score
HawkWow":2spslw16 said:
SoulfishHawk":2spslw16 said:

When others express what they feel our reality is (typically along the same lines of what you just wrote), you basically ridicule them and all but compare them to organic jihadists. Odd.

The players have been working their asses off and fighting like mad to try to make up for the front office screwups of 2013-2014. Percy Harvin front and center, plus not winding up with any true #1 receivers, lack of effective pass rushers, and tissue paper depth at some key positions (case in point 'Bane).

And you know what? The players and coaching staff are two damn plays from overcoming all that and being 8-2.
And what else? In PC/JS I (still) trust. They've learned from the Harvin and draft/FA debacle of 2013-2014. There are a whole set of mistakes they will NOT make again. They got insanely lucky with "projects" and FA signings 2010-2013, so much so they thought they could do no wrong. Now they will do better. In the 2013 draft and 2014 draft + FA, the luck has not been with them. Now, our overall team talent level is so far down we are picking up other team's rejects and relying on them as key contributors.

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
olyfan63":edtw2q64 said:
HawkWow":edtw2q64 said:
SoulfishHawk":edtw2q64 said:

The players have been working their asses off and fighting like mad to try to make up for the front office screwups of 2013-2014. Percy Harvin front and center, plus not winding up with any true #1 receivers, lack of effective pass rushers, and tissue paper depth at some key positions (case in point 'Bane).

Let's not confuse the ideas of talent vs killer instinct. My original post is about killer instinct and heart and swagger.

The debate on Harvin and FO "screwups" aside, killer instinct (again the point of my thread) does not depend on which players you specifically have or don't have. Killer instinct is personal.

I'll put it this way. I used to play a lot of basketball. For a long time I sucked at shooting, passing, dribbling, basically offense.

However, I hustled. I hustled my butt off. About the only thing I could do.

One thing you can always have, regardless of your skill level, is hustle and killer instinct. And a lot of that can make up for technical deficiencies.

Guess what?

With 2nd stringers in, we have technical deficiencies. That's a fact of life. But what I have seen is a lack of killer instinct. Where's all the swarming on defense? Where's fighting for those 50/50 balls? Where's going up for that catch and bringing it down for that score?

olyfan63":edtw2q64 said:
Now, our overall team talent level is so far down we are picking up other team's rejects and relying on them as key contributors.

And for me, not about talent level, it's about killer instinct, or seeming lack thereof, pretty much for most of the season, and it's driving me a bit bonkers.

Dabhawk

Reaction score
This dude is so weak.... Smh go root for a different team dipsh*t, the 12s don't need a baffoon like you among us. Lmao you're obviously a bandwagoner if you have that high of expectations for the Hawks. The Hawks are being the same old Hawks I use to watch. Our defense is guessing and our offense isn't explosive, therefor tough games ensue. To call this team a bunch of pussy cats tho is flat out retarded.

marko358

Reaction score
Dabhawk":35tcpi3d said:
This dude is so weak.... Smh go root for a different team dipsh*t, the 12s don't need a baffoon like you among us. Lmao you're obviously a bandwagoner if you have that high of expectations for the Hawks. The Hawks are being the same old Hawks I use to watch. Our defense is guessing and our offense isn't explosive, therefor tough games ensue. To call this team a bunch of pussy cats tho is flat out retarded.

216.gif

HawkWow

Reaction score
olyfan63":30z6tjga said:
HawkWow":30z6tjga said:
SoulfishHawk":30z6tjga said:

And you know what? The players and coaching staff are two damn plays from overcoming all that and being 8-2.
And what else? In PC/JS I (still) trust. They've learned from the Harvin and draft/FA debacle of 2013-2014. There are a whole set of mistakes they will NOT make again. They got insanely lucky with "projects" and FA signings 2010-2013, so much so they thought they could do no wrong. Now they will do better. In the 2013 draft and 2014 draft + FA, the luck has not been with them. Now, our overall team talent level is so far down we are picking up other team's rejects and relying on them as key contributors.

I am certain you are making a point in this. I just can't find it in relation to my post you quote. But...

You point out we are "2 plays from being 8-2". Unsure how exactly that should make people feel we are SB bound. 6-4, and 3 games out, is a far cry from 8-2 and 1 game out. Do you disagree?

At no point did I say I believe the players are not playing hard and your related points I've already made numerous times. We will win games, but we are beating teams we are supposed to beat....and obviously losing to teams we are supposed to beat. That also does not inspire confidence in regards to a repeat. Do you disagree?

"In the 2013 draft and 2014 draft + FA, the luck has not been with them. Now, our overall team talent level is so far down we are picking up other team's rejects and relying on them as key contributors".

And therein some of our problems lie. Great FOs don't depend on "luck" in either the draft or FA. And some of our picks would require an element of luck to not be seen as the "reaches" some of us believed them to be, both then and now. In FA, a successful relationship with harvin required much more than luck, an exorcism would have been more applicable.

How exactly is it that you know this FO will make no future mistakes? It's quite possible they are in the midst of making their biggest mistake since..well, the Harvin deal. You claim they learned a lot from the Harvin fiasco. What did they learn in the Harvin deal that they didn't know about Harvin before making the deal? Are you suggesting they didn't know Harvin was a cancer? If you are, what is it about them that warrants your unwavering trust and confidence? 31 teams (inc SF) knew about Harvin. Hundreds of thousands that follow the sport also knew.

In closing, the very point of my post, which you quote, is that this just may not be our year and that is an educated opinion, one that shouldn't be ridiculed. If you feel that is somehow absurd (because we could be 8-2) I suggest you hop on down to Vegas and win yourself an assload of cash by betting us to win it all. IF you are not prepared to risk that, how are you so different from those that feel we likely will not win it all this year?

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
HawkWow":2c9gc376 said:
olyfan63":2c9gc376 said:
SoulfishHawk":2c9gc376 said:

I am certain you are making a point in this. I just can't find it in relation to my post you quote. But...

You point out we are "2 plays from being 8-2". Unsure how exactly that should make people feel we are SB bound. 6-4, and 3 games out, is a far cry from 8-2 and 1 game out. Do you disagree?

At no point did I say I believe the players are not playing hard and your related points I've already made numerous times. We will win games, but we are beating teams we are supposed to beat....and obviously losing to teams we are supposed to beat. That also does not inspire confidence in regards to a repeat. Do you disagree?

To be fair, my thread was about the players not playing as hard as I thought they could. So it's possible olyfan63 might have extrapolated my opinion to your opinion

In closing, the very point of my post, which you quote, is that this just may not be our year and that is an educated opinion, one that shouldn't be ridiculed. If you feel that is somehow absurd (because we could be 8-2) I suggest you hop on down to Vegas and win yourself an assload of cash by betting us to win it all. IF you are not prepared to risk that, how are you so different from those that feel we likely will not win it all this year?

That is a good point. It may not be our year. And from your first response to my post, I think you understand where I'm coming from. And I think olyfan63 sees it too, we might be saying similar things but it looks like disagreement

Basically I think it's this:

All injuries aside, all perceived mistakes aside, all other things aside, the frustrating part is this COULD have been our year, and COULD still be our year. HawkWow I think you see it too (correct me if I'm wrong)

My opinion is that the Seahawks have lost a step in the killer instinct area. Had they had that, they would have made those extra 2 plays a game and we could be 8-2 (per olyfan63's post).

And it is just very frustrating for me thinking that it could have just been mental focus and killer instinct which is a mental thing, not technical or physical thing.

And it's frustrating that game after game ,while they work hard, they do not seem to be displaying that chip-on-the-shoulder attitude this season.

The last two seasons, win or lose, they still had that chip on their shoulder.

It frustrates me that I don't see it now and the frustration grows each week, win or lose, because in the long run that chip-on-the-shoulder wins us more games.

HawkWow

Reaction score
We are pretty much on the exact same page, Byau. And no question, my disappointment is because I don't believe there is a great excuse for us not being serious contenders for the throne once again this year.

Like yourself, I have followed this sport for a very long time. Certainly longer (in my case) than the majority in this forum have been alive. I know why repeating is so incredibly difficult. Those reasons did not have to apply to us. That is upsetting to me and I am certain, also upsetting to our (remaining) players. I don't think it coincidence we seldom hear the bravado of Sherm these days. Last year he knew we had the necessary chemistry to back that up. This year he knows we don't.

Who did this to our SB winning Hawks?
Who messed with arguably the most important element of any team's success?

Fire Bevell in 3, 2, 1.....

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
HawkWow":18ly0pct said:

A mixture of things. The most obvious answer is free agency/salary cap. We had to pay Earl and Sherm this year. Thus Clemons, Bryant, Browner, Breno etc were expendable. We gambled on Harvin and lost.. thus Tate walked.

Then there is the fact that no one player really likes to admit to, but the fire isn't the same this season. They hit the mountain top. It's not like 2013 where they came out incredibly focused and determined and motivated from falling short in the Georgia Dome with a team that was the hottest in football at the time. That sour taste in their mouth fueled them for the entire season.. and that kind of motivation is a very real thing in sports - just ask the Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs.. both of them experienced this same thing just back in June.

Thirdly - we are the champs. The other 31 teams in the league measure themselves against us. So every team on our schedule plays us like it's their own mini Super Bowl. When you have the aforementioned factors already working against you and you throw in a team that's basically throwing everything at you but the kitchen sink.. you are prone to regress. The injuries and unfortunate luck on turnovers also don't help.. but that's football.. can't really control that.

So really its a perfect storm of sh*t. We lost a lot of veteran leadership in the locker room due to the salary cap.. a lot of those guys who may very well possibly have kept the Harvin thing from blowing up, the Lynch thing from bubbling every week, the "is Wilson black enough" crap that surfaced a few weeks before that.. etc etc. And on top of it all.. these guys just don't have the same hell bent determination to win as they did a year ago. We forget that these players are human after all.

And that's really why it is so hard to repeat in any professional sport now. Especially the NFL.

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3ivulh5n said:
HawkWow":3ivulh5n said:

A mixture of things.

The most obvious answer is free agency/salary cap. We had to pay Earl and Sherm this year. Thus Clemons, Bryant, Browner, Breno etc were expendable. We gambled on Harvin and lost.. thus Tate walked.

Then there is the fact that no one player really likes to admit to, but the fire isn't the same this season.

They hit the mountain top. It's not like 2013 where they came out incredibly focused and determined and motivated from falling short in the Georgia Dome with a team that was the hottest in football at the time. That sour taste in their mouth fueled them for the entire season.. and that kind of motivation is a very real thing in sports - just ask the Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs.. both of them experienced this same thing just back in June.

Thirdly - we are the champs. The other 31 teams in the league measure themselves against us.

So every team on our schedule plays us like it's their own mini Super Bowl. When you have the aforementioned factors already working against you and you throw in a team that's basically throwing everything at you but the kitchen sink.. you are prone to regress. The injuries and unfortunate luck on turnovers also don't help.. but that's football.. can't really control that.

So really its a perfect storm of sh*t.

We lost a lot of veteran leadership in the locker room due to the salary cap.. a lot of those guys who may very well possibly have kept the Harvin thing from blowing up, the Lynch thing from bubbling every week, the "is Wilson black enough" crap that surfaced a few weeks before that.. etc etc. And on top of it all.. these guys just don't have the same hell bent determination to win as they did a year ago. We forget that these players are human after all.

And that's really why it is so hard to repeat in any professional sport now. Especially the NFL.

Perfect.

Your post illustrated pretty much all our troubles very well. I reformatted/bolded the parts I particularly liked and ..well...great post.

My original thread here is about your 2nd point, losing that fire, combined with your 3rd point, everyone else gaining some when facing the Seahawks. The vets that are gone and vet leadership likely would have been able to keep that killer instinct and even make it bigger to handle the other teams targeting us. But who knows.

Anyway, that's the past. The rest of this season is still in front of us and my doom and gloom is just wondering when the Seahawks will realize the above and get that chip back.

Now if that old adage of entrepreneurs can finally come into play, we got a season still

Something like:

"If you want to change your circumstances, you need to change what you do. If you keep doing the same thing, don't be surprised if your circumstances remain the same"

Hard work is fine, but if it's the same hard work, don't expect the circumstances to change.

The Seahawks obviously need to change something and get back that swagger (your 2nd point). And not just their swagger from last year, but it has to be even more so to handle having the targets on their back (your 3rd point)

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
Largent80":175j4rjh said:
Do what I do, pound the crap outta my drum set. :thmusik36:

Haha

I think I may need to go buy a drum. I have some violins, but I don't think the affect will be the same.

Largent80

Reaction score
I live in Culver City, come over and bash mine if ya want.... :lol:

I have an electronic set in my apt. My neighbors wouldn't care much for me if I cranked these bad boys up.

S5TQDXw

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
Largent80":77p4ewv8 said:

I have an electronic set in my apt. My neighbors wouldn't care much for me if I cranked these bad boys up.

S5TQDXw

Oh yeah? Do you go to those occasional Seahawk meetings with special guests out there? I think I've seen a few out there in Culver City? I'm jealous..

Don't make it west of the 405 much these days ... But good to know if I happen to be out there on gameday - I'll listen for the drums :) (hopefully beaten with adrenalin-infused excitement and not the anger and frustration which the OP had come from)

OP
OP
byau

byau

Reaction score
Gotta say, the thought of beating on drums while yelling

GO SEAHAWKS GO
GO YOU FREAKING SEAHAWKS

does sound tempting

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
byau":gahng0xz said:
The Seahawks obviously need to change something and get back that swagger (your 2nd point). And not just their swagger from last year, but it has to be even more so to handle having the targets on their back (your 3rd point)

Sucks to admit, but the only way this may happen is if they miss the playoffs this year.

We keep waiting for them to flip that switch, and while they've improved and are still in games.. they just don't look like the same team. I think Pete kicks the FG on 4th and goal from the 2 last year, because the defense would have made a play and we probably find a way to win in the end. Thats just how 2013 went.

That's just one example too. Yeah injuries are playing a huge role in how good this team can be.. but there's just something else missing.. we all knew this team was prime for something special last year.. I don't know how many of us realistically feel that way now. Of course, they could run off 6 straight and we'd all feel entirely different.. but it wouldn't surprise me to see them go 3-3 over their final 6 either.

Just been that type of year.

Largent80

Reaction score
byau":2ovv8m4w said:
Largent80":2ovv8m4w said:

S5TQDXw

Oh yeah? Do you go to those occasional Seahawk meetings with special guests out there? I think I've seen a few out there in Culver City? I'm jealous..

Don't make it west of the 405 much these days ... But good to know if I happen to be out there on gameday - I'll listen for the drums :) (hopefully beaten with adrenalin-infused excitement and not the anger and frustration which the OP had come from)

This was 2 blocks from my house almost 1 year to the day....

7eKryX2

Me shaking the winning superbowl hand.....Nate Burleson was at the Backstage last Sunday.... 3 Weeks ago we had John L. Williams, and I have met Ricahrd Shermans mom several times and her son. This is a good spot.