Golden Tate

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Dtowers

Dtowers

Reaction score
Panthers rumored to be trading/cutting Steve Smith. Could be adding another WR to the mix for teams as Smith has a similar skillset but also it opens up another potential suitor for Tate.

I also though Tate modeled his game after Smith a bit so you could see the Panthers wanting to bring in Tate to see if they can fill that role with a young talented WR for a lot less money than Smith.

sutz

Reaction score
Dtowers":2zejgw9l said:
Panthers rumored to be trading/cutting Steve Smith. Could be adding another WR to the mix for teams as Smith has a similar skillset but also it opens up another potential suitor for Tate.

I also though Tate modeled his game after Smith a bit so you could see the Panthers wanting to bring in Tate to see if they can fill that role with a young talented WR for a lot less money than Smith.
:pukeface: to the idea of swapping Tate for Smith. Please no. Just no.

OP
OP
Dtowers

Dtowers

Reaction score
sutz":2ur2begn said:
Dtowers":2ur2begn said:

Ok not sure if you think that is what I was suggesting but it isn't. I was saying another WR on the market with a similar skillset is good for US because it could drive down the price on Tate. I was NOT suggesting going after Smith as a replacement for Tate.

sutz

Reaction score
Dtowers":3pbv7lkr said:
sutz":3pbv7lkr said:
Dtowers":3pbv7lkr said:

Ok not sure if you think that is what I was suggesting but it isn't. I was saying another WR on the market with a similar skillset is good for US because it could drive down the price on Tate. I was NOT suggesting going after Smith as a replacement for Tate.
Yeah, I get it. That would work well for the Kitties, but not for us.

The only real incentive for Tate to move on would be better stats, because of our style of play. Well, OK, money too. But I hope he knows his best future is here.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I actually think Tate coming back may be less likely than Bennet. There are a lot of teams that could use him right now and I don't see the Seahawks stretching past what they think they can afford. Despite what Tate said early on I think WR is a position that will be harder to retain(or attract free agents) because of our offensive mindset. Besides Bennet said he wouldn't take a discount and then turned around and signed for less. What is said before any actual negotating is usually meaningless.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1atfuoqa said:
Man if we get Tate for $4m or less and Bennett for $8m, I might have to have another child, so I can name them after Schneider.
You better get ready since we already signed Bennett for 7.1.....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Natethegreat":12prlv9g said:
I actually think Tate coming back may be less likely than Bennet. There are a lot of teams that could use him right now and I don't see the Seahawks stretching past what they think they can afford. Despite what Tate said early on I think WR is a position that will be harder to retain(or attract free agents) because of our offensive mindset. Besides Bennet said he wouldn't take a discount and then turned around and signed for less. What is said before any actual negotating is usually meaningless.

I'll say it again, I just don't think there's a big market for Tate. WR's are getting cut right and left this year, and are making about what he wants..........so do the math.

Anytime you have a player who's value is highest here, it's all the leverage you need to resign him to a lower deal.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1ivbrhtu said:
Meh. The WR market is ridiculously soft because of multiple factors and he wants to be here a deal will be made and it will be advantageous to the Seahawks most likely.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":3hliu6tl said:
Man if we get Tate for $4m or less and Bennett for $8m, I might have to have another child, so I can name them after Schneider.
You better get ready since we already signed Bennett for 7.1.....

OP
OP
Dtowers

Dtowers

Reaction score
How the heck to do you post in between a double post like that?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":o3l6wek8 said:
Natethegreat":o3l6wek8 said:

I'll say it again, I just don't think there's a big market for Tate. WR's are getting cut right and left this year, and are making about what he wants..........so do the math.

Anytime you have a player who's value is highest here, it's all the leverage you need to resign him to a lower deal.
Receivers getting cut doesn't mean there is no market for them. I would bet the Jets, Colts, Panthers, Broncos, Ravens, Lions, and probably more will have interest in Tate. Bennet wasn't the right fit for a lot of teams Tate would fit on just about any team. I'm not saying he is gone I just think its less likely he is back than Bennet.

OP
OP
Dtowers

Dtowers

Reaction score
You realize there are 50+ free agent WRs and a pretty deep draft at the position as well? I just can't see Tate commanding a huge audience in the NFL considering these factors. I think some teams will have interest in him but to the point of overpaying for him? I think not. Overpaying is the only way I see Tate leaving Seattle. If contracts are even remotely close I think Tate stays.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I'm well aware that there are free agent receivers out there just like every other year. Decker is obviously the top one but I wold put Tate second(and there are a lot of receiver needy teams out there). As far as the draft yeah it is a strong year for WR prospects but as the old saying says better a bird in the hand than two in the bush. You can't count on getting someone in the draft unless you are drafting first.
The way our team is set up it was the perfect fit for Bennet. He had a lot of reasons to remain here. Not saying Tate doesn't, but he would have a lot of good reasons to leave to a pass heavy team. Most receivers want to get targets I don't think Tate is any different. Not to mention more targtes means better contract in the future. Seahawks are an attractive option to most positions except receiver really.

OP
OP
Dtowers

Dtowers

Reaction score
Natethegreat":bp2d1ulk said:
I'm well aware that there are free agent receivers out there just like every other year. Decker is obviously the top one but I wold put Tate second(and there are a lot of receiver needy teams out there). As far as the draft yeah it is a strong year for WR prospects but as the old saying says better a bird in the hand than two in the bush. You can't count on getting someone in the draft unless you are drafting first.
The way our team is set up it was the perfect fit for Bennet. He had a lot of reasons to remain here. Not saying Tate doesn't, but he would have a lot of good reasons to leave to a pass heavy team. Most receivers want to get targets I don't think Tate is any different. Not to mention more targtes means better contract in the future. Seahawks are an attractive option to most positions except receiver really.

So you think someone overpays for Tate?

Happypuppy

Reaction score
With another 200 potential #2s in the draft it's a really soft market. Wherever Tate lands he will be a bargain.
If we could get Holmes or Smith at a discount do we bite? I think we think about a 1 year deal

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Natethegreat":yq9oiqpk said:
Sgt. Largent":yq9oiqpk said:
Natethegreat":yq9oiqpk said:

Receivers getting cut doesn't mean there is no market for them. I would bet the Jets, Colts, Panthers, Broncos, Ravens, Lions, and probably more will have interest in Tate. Bennet wasn't the right fit for a lot of teams Tate would fit on just about any team. I'm not saying he is gone I just think its less likely he is back than Bennet.

I didn't say "no" market. But decent WR's getting cut says that not only is their value low, but that there's a LOT of them in free agency...........which drives down the price.

OP
OP
Dtowers

Dtowers

Reaction score
Happypuppy":21qa2vjn said:
With another 200 potential #2s in the draft it's a really soft market. Wherever Tate lands he will be a bargain.
If we could get Holmes or Smith at a discount do we bite? I think we think about a 1 year deal

Bring in a vet draft a rookie and then bring in 10 UDFA WRs to fight for one spot. Same recipe as every year.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Tate has already said he would take a "slight" discount to stay here. Like others have said, the only way he leaves is if someone overpays him by a LOT.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Dtowers":2fc89lod said:
Natethegreat":2fc89lod said:

So you think someone overpays for Tate?
Overpay is relative to teams. Oakland could use a receiver too and they have over 70 million in cap space. Paying Tate 6 7 million a year would be a drop in the bucket to them but too much for us. Jets have 40 million in cap space and could free up a lot more by releasing Sanchez and they have a HUGE need at receiver. I could easily see them paying Tate 6 to 8 mill per. I'm not saying he is gone but it seems like everyone just assumes its a weak market and he'll be back and I don't necessarily think that is the case. Also Clayton stated he didn't think Tate would be back during an interview today. Didn't state his reasons but he did say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.