Golden Tate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1l0pec89 said:
Overpay is relative to teams. Oakland could use a receiver too and they have over 70 million in cap space. Paying Tate 6 7 million a year would be a drop in the bucket to them but too much for us. Jets have 40 million in cap space and could free up a lot more by releasing Sanchez and they have a HUGE need at receiver. I could easily see them paying Tate 6 to 8 mill per. I'm not saying he is gone but it seems like everyone just assumes its a weak market and he'll be back and I don't necessarily think that is the case. Also Clayton stated he didn't think Tate would be back during an interview today. Didn't state his reasons but he did say it.

Clayton also said that both Clemons and Miller were getting cut last Tuesday.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":35ac6btw said:
Natethegreat":35ac6btw said:
Overpay is relative to teams. Oakland could use a receiver too and they have over 70 million in cap space. Paying Tate 6 7 million a year would be a drop in the bucket to them but too much for us. Jets have 40 million in cap space and could free up a lot more by releasing Sanchez and they have a HUGE need at receiver. I could easily see them paying Tate 6 to 8 mill per. I'm not saying he is gone but it seems like everyone just assumes its a weak market and he'll be back and I don't necessarily think that is the case. Also Clayton stated he didn't think Tate would be back during an interview today. Didn't state his reasons but he did say it.

And they still may be I actually think miller restructures and Clemons is cut but we will see. Again I am not saying he is gone I just think everyone here just assumes he is an easier sign and I just don't agree thats all.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Natethegreat":o6pdzyvd said:
Sgt. Largent":o6pdzyvd said:
Natethegreat":o6pdzyvd said:

And they still may be I actually think miller restructures and Clemons is cut but we will see. Again I am not saying he is gone I just think everyone here just assumes he is an easier sign and I just don't agree thats all.

I don't know about easier, but I think he'll come back because we'll give him more than any other team.

Here he's a "Carroll guy" that has earned his place on this team as a tough player and leader. On another team he's just a borderline #2 or #3 receiver with average stats and problems getting separation off the line.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Natethegreat":1m9vkxq7 said:
Dtowers":1m9vkxq7 said:
Natethegreat":1m9vkxq7 said:
I'm well aware that there are free agent receivers out there just like every other year. Decker is obviously the top one but I wold put Tate second(and there are a lot of receiver needy teams out there). As far as the draft yeah it is a strong year for WR prospects but as the old saying says better a bird in the hand than two in the bush. You can't count on getting someone in the draft unless you are drafting first.
The way our team is set up it was the perfect fit for Bennet. He had a lot of reasons to remain here. Not saying Tate doesn't, but he would have a lot of good reasons to leave to a pass heavy team. Most receivers want to get targets I don't think Tate is any different. Not to mention more targtes means better contract in the future. Seahawks are an attractive option to most positions except receiver really.

So you think someone overpays for Tate?

"Relative to teams" or no, the whole reason we are in great position and will be for the indefinite future is because of the way this front office does business. Oakland can go ahead and splurge if they'd like, but they get their pay structure out of whack, huge amount of cap space or not, they're going to get themselves in trouble. And they're one of the last teams in the league that should think about screwing anything up.

I think it's a good bet we re-sign him for a moderately good deal, one similar to Bennett's, in that it'll be good for both player and team.

two dog

Reaction score
Tate has value because he seems to be at his best when things are at their worst.
On at least one occasion he had a punt return of 60+ yards that energized his
team and turned the game.

He's not a bad receiver, bigger numbers on a more pass happy team. Don't forget
that he's shown improvement each year and I doubt he's reached his ceiling.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I would love Tate back, but I don't see how we can go above something like 4/21 with half or more than half of it guaranteed (10-12M) for him and have it make sense considering the Wilson, Thomas, and Sherman contracts that are upcoming, plus hopefully keeping Baldwin (which is a must, Baldwin will be the best slot WR in the league after Welker retires and maybe sooner than that).

If we were constructing a contract, I would think that we'd see:

Y1: 2M
Y2: 3.5M
Y3: 5.5M
Y4: 10M

Something like that to give flexibility, with a re-structure or extension at year four.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The wide receiver market is flooded... I mean.. FLOODED this year.

Prediction: Tate comes back, and it will be cheap.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I'm not so high on Tate and I would rather keep Angry Doug..Don't get me wrong Tate can play
but there are games where I don't see him or very little ..He did this at Notre Dame as well..I think with Harvin back full time we need to get the big target type of Wr that we all know we have needed with the money we save by not signing Tate...Don't want to hear about punt returns..We could sign Hester for less to do all that( pr/kr) I could see the guy coming here just to get his ring...I hope I'm so wrong about Tate but we'll see..

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1vz4ti5x said:

Flooded with has beens and the normal guys you see every year. Hakeem Nicks, Eric Decker, and Tate are the only attractive options.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2qz5n0fu said:
I'm sorry but I'm not so high on Tate and I would rather keep Angry Doug..Don't get me wrong Tate can play
but there are games where I don't see him or very little ..He did this at Notre Dame as well..I think with Harvin back full time we need to get the big target type of Wr that we all know we have needed with the money we save by not signing Tate...Don't want to hear about punt returns..We could sign Hester for less to do all that( pr/kr) I could see the guy coming here just to get his ring...I hope I'm so wrong about Tate but we'll see..

To be fair to Tate, he was getting #1WR coverage with Rice and Harvin out. You notice that Baldwin and Kearse were able to get free with Tate taking up the attention of opposing CBs and safeties.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3scgny7c said:
Hasselbeck":3scgny7c said:

Flooded with has beens and the normal guys you see every year. Hakeem Nicks, Eric Decker, and Tate are the only attractive options.

And the deepest draft in years for that position.

Tate's not getting more than $3M a year on the open market.

jblaze

Reaction score
I think losing Tate and Rice is a bit much to overcome and keep rolling.

I can see them taking a big WR in the draft fairly early along with Tate and Harvin and bringing along the rookie. But losing both changes that.

If we lose Tate, I don't really like any of the other #2 WR's out there to be honest. Tate is pretty dymanic and plays tough, he's like beast mode at the WR position.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3m90ev45 said:
Natethegreat":3m90ev45 said:
Hasselbeck":3m90ev45 said:

And the deepest draft in years for that position.

Tate's not getting more than $3M a year on the open market.
I guess thats what I am referring to when I say that the expectations for re-signing Tate are way out of whack. I don't see him signing for less than 5 mill per. Perhaps 4.5 but I think he gets a much better offer than that elsewhere.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
jblaze":2o9kwog8 said:
I think losing Tate and Rice is a bit much to overcome and keep rolling.

I can see them taking a big WR in the draft fairly early along with Tate and Harvin and bringing along the rookie. But losing both changes that.

If we lose Tate, I don't really like any of the other #2 WR's out there to be honest. Tate is pretty dymanic and plays tough, he's like beast mode at the WR position.

Depends if Harvin stays healthy. Harvin, Baldwin, Willson, McCoy, Miller, and Kearse.
Matthews and Lockett in the fold?

Me likes :thirishdrinkers:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1drbmlea said:
IndyHawk":1drbmlea said:

To be fair to Tate, he was getting #1WR coverage with Rice and Harvin out. You notice that Baldwin and Kearse were able to get free with Tate taking up the attention of opposing CBs and safeties.
I agree but He doesn't deserve anywhere near WR1 money..He just isn't one in my opinion..I believe even 3 million is too much..Where was he in the big game with Harvin?Who shined?ADB/Kearse did..But hey the FO knows a lot more than I will about this game lol...

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3chbqhk5 said:
Smelly McUgly":3chbqhk5 said:
IndyHawk":3chbqhk5 said:

I agree but He doesn't deserve anywhere near WR1 money..He just isn't one in my opinion..I believe even 3 million is too much..Where was he in the big game with Harvin?Who shined?ADB/Kearse did..But hey the FO knows a lot more than I will about this game lol...

I would say that Tate was being covered by DRC, which helped ADB and Kearse shine since he (and Harvin) took attention away from them. Plus, DEN was keyed on stopping Lynch, making Baldwin and Kearse's jobs easier. Not to take anything away from either of them, but there are a ton of moving parts out there, and more attention on one player = less attention on another.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
No matter what happens with Tate,I'm sure we will be just fine ...Go Champs!! :thirishdrinkers:

McGruff

Reaction score
Rumor is that Tate is going to get a 5 year deal worth $35 million with half of that guaranteed . . . no mention of which team . . .

OP
OP
Dtowers

Dtowers

Reaction score
McGruff":1vmty26o said:
Rumor is that Tate is going to get a 5 year deal worth $35 million with half of that guaranteed . . . no mention of which team . . .

At that price no thank you. If Tate can pull that more power to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.