Good stuff on .com today

kearly

Reaction score
It turns out that PC/JS really wanted O'Brien Schofield in the 2010 draft.

“This is one of the guys we were going to try and get in the draft,” [Pete Carroll] said with a smile. “We had a place where we were going to pick him. Unfortunately for us he went before that.”

“He’s a very good football player,” Carroll said. “We’ve watched him play. He played against us. He’s a very active, very versatile football player.

“We’re really excited to get him on our team. Unfortunately, it took us a couple of years to get him.”

Lots of good stuff in there from LB coach Ken Norton, too.

Yesterday I said that Schofield looked "undersized", which as a pass rusher, he is. But as a linebacker, he's actually pretty big (6'3", 242). He's pretty much the same size that Irvin was last season, and it sounds like a very good fit for Seattle's current LEO/SAM tweener role. Schofield sees himself as a pass rusher above all else.

Personally, I'm getting some very good vibes from this pickup. Schofield was a better player than his stats showed, and his stats were solid. I see a lot of similarities here with the Raheem Brock pickup in 2010, except that Schofield is just 26 years old.

Schofield wears #93, and based on that drills video, looks like he might have a future on dancing with the stars.

In other news (all the stories below have a video),

Here's a video on what Steve Largent is up to these days.

The Seahawks D-Line is learning MMA techniques in practice drills.

Seahawks Daily did a segment on the 3 QBs in camp which was worth the watch. I've made it no secret that I didn't like the Brady Quinn signing, but I gotta say, James Franco's lost twin gives a hell of a good interview.

Richard Sherman dances to the cheers of the crowd.

Finally, Jermaine Kearse had a press conference. Seriously. That's not something you see everyday for a #5 WR.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
I remember he was on the Niners' radar too... Any idea why he flamed out with Arizona?

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
NinerBuff":1bmub6j1 said:
I remember he was on the Niners' radar too... Any idea why he flamed out with Arizona?

Starter -> injured -> replaced. They drafted Alex Okafor and signed John Abraham. Abraham can still bring it, and Okafor had fringe 1st round talent for a 4th round price tag. Schofield would have been an FA after this season, and it's looking like he might have been buried on their depth chart. Still, a lot of people consider his release to be a head scratcher. He's good, he's healthy, and he's low cost. You don't trash good depth, even if it's just for one season. It's early, but Steve Keim strikes me as a decent talent evaluator but not the best decision maker (I don't think Arians/Palmer made sense for the Cardinals, he took Honey Badger too early, didn't do enough medical research on Ryan Swope, etc).

Another thing too- the Cardinals are a bad football team but they are pretty stacked at LB. Their letting talent leak at linebacker shouldn't send off alarms anymore than Seattle letting talent leak at CB.

mr.stlouis

Reaction score
He is tall for a LB, but not necessarily big. But if he can get off blocks then it's all good. Sounds like a big safety to me. I bet that's how he plays, too. Not a bad thing if he's used appropriately.

mikeak

Reaction score
Sometimes it scares me when people say - yeah we wanted him in the draft. I know this FO is top-notch so I am sure they want the player that he is today / they think he can be. I just know that sometimes it seems like people sign guys like this because of what they thought he could become and he never did...

SDHawk

Reaction score
He had a Wilson/Willson-esque presser, i.e. he seemed to say all the right things (except at one point where he referred to his team as the Arizona Cardinals). I get that good vibe, too.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
For a 4-3 LB, Schofield's weight is roughly 80th percentile. KJ Wright is massive and only weighs a couple pounds more. He does kind of play like a safety, or at least a 2010 Lawyer Milloy type safety.

mikeak":lxc5az6t said:
Sometimes it scares me when people say - yeah we wanted him in the draft. I know this FO is top-notch so I am sure they want the player that he is today / they think he can be. I just know that sometimes it seems like people sign guys like this because of what they thought he could become and he never did...

Evan Moore and Charlie Whitehurst are the only reasons I would share your apprehension. JS badly wanted Marshawn Lynch in the draft and didn't get him, Pete wanted Sherman as a corner for USC and didn't get him, etc.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Just for you, Kearly, tomorrow I will focus some time on Schofield and watch him ;)

Termite

Reaction score
He was serviceable last year until hurt. Very injury prone and not much of a pass rush. I watched all of the cards games and went to quite a few.

Latest posts