Got that feelin' again

kearly

Reaction score
I feel a bit unsettled about the future right now. On the one hand, the Jimmy Graham trade helped me get over the last play of the season, knowing that Seattle is completely serious about finally addressing the issues at pass catcher. I expect that theme to continue in the draft when Seattle selects a WR fairly early.

On the other hand, our DBs are mending, and our secondary looked like damaged goods at times last season- particularly the SB. Since then, we've lost a good corner in Maxwell in replaced him with an $18 million CB that is basically another Tharold Simon. Could be good, could be terrible, and nobody knows which he'll be. Lost Jeron Johnson too. The draft looks sucky for DBs as well.

Not in love with the current state of the pass rush- it's good enough as long as the DBs hold up, but what if they don't?

There's also the departures on the OL coupled with significant new rules by the NFL regarding cut blocks. Our offensive line is better than people think, but if they can't cut block anyone in the run game and the protection still sucks, it could lead to a paradigm shift in Seattle.

It also sucks that Richardson may not be 100% again until 2016.

Last year people cried about our schedule, even though Seattle got all the toughest teams at home. This year, Seattle has almost all the toughest games on the road, and will likely have a high number of 10am starts against playoff caliber teams.

And, at least right now, the Seahawks do not have a single true TE who is a plus pass-blocker. And given how much Bevell has his TEs pass block against elite pass rushers, that's a big deal.

Even if the Seahawks kill the draft, that's way too many warning signs to get that 2012/2013 team of destiny feel.

Instead, I see the Seahawks entering a transition phase, like the Patriots in 2005 and 2006. The defense will probably take another step back this year, and the offense will probably have some growing pains. Still a good team that will be a threat in the playoffs, but I would happily take 11-5 this season given all the personnel issues and adversity on the schedule.

I think in a few years, Seattle will be more feared for their passing attack than their RB. Their defense will always be good so long as PC/JS are here, but maintaining that elite level will get harder every year as attrition factors.

Granted, Seattle is a few lucky breaks away from being the 2007 Patriots. Tom Brady saw his effectiveness increase dramatically when given #1 caliber weapons. I suspect it will be the same for Wilson, and he's got one now.

(Note to stupid people: I'm not being pessimistic about the Hawks. They are the best team in the NFL. But they do have more stuff to worry about right now than they did in 2012, 2013, or 2014. Maybe they catch a few breaks and they win SB 50. Let's see how it plays out.)

drdiags

Reaction score
Kearly taking off the kid gloves. Ha ha!

Oh wait, I may be one of the stupid people. Take it back!!!

On-Topic: I am not sure yet what I feel about the upcoming year. There seems to be a change in the vibe of things you might hear coming from the locker room. I will be walking a tightrope as the season progresses, but I will do my best to enjoy it.

It is harder to hold onto the top than it can be getting there looking in hindsight. I never want to go back to hoping the team can luck up into going to the playoffs. That is what John and Pete promised so I hope they can continue to deliver.

Largent80

Reaction score
Last year I thought the schedule was a lot to overcome and what did they do?
They aced it.

The reason it doesn't feel the same is that for 2 years in a row they have played for the title. I see Zero reasons for it to not happen again.

original poster

Reaction score
I'm not worried in the slightest. Adding Jimmy Graham to the offense is huge, that'' be a lot of 3 points turned into 7 this year.

I'm also not worried about the injuries to the LOB. Kam and Sherm are both at Russ' minicamp and you can bet your mortgage that Earl will be ready to go day 1.

RiverDog

Reaction score
kearly":3atgc83p said:
I feel a bit unsettled about the future right now. On the one hand, the Jimmy Graham trade helped me get over the last play of the season, knowing that Seattle is completely serious about finally addressing the issues at pass catcher. I expect that theme to continue in the draft when Seattle selects a WR fairly early.

On the other hand, our DBs are mending, and our secondary looked like damaged goods at times last season- particularly the SB. Since then, we've lost a good corner in Maxwell in replaced him with an $18 million CB that is basically another Tharold Simon. Could be good, could be terrible, and nobody knows which he'll be. Lost Jeron Johnson too. The draft looks sucky for DBs as well.

Not in love with the current state of the pass rush- it's good enough as long as the DBs hold up, but what if they don't?

There's also the departures on the OL coupled with significant new rules by the NFL regarding cut blocks. Our offensive line is better than people think, but if they can't cut block anyone in the run game and the protection still sucks, it could lead to a paradigm shift in Seattle.

Last year people cried about our schedule, even though Seattle got all the toughest teams at home. This year, Seattle has almost all the toughest games on the road, and will likely have a high number of 10am starts against playoff caliber teams.

And, at least right now, the Seahawks do not have a single true TE who is a plus pass-blocker. And given how much Bevell has his TEs pass block against elite pass rushers, that's a big deal.

Even if the Seahawks kill the draft, that's way too many warning signs to get that 2012/2013 team of destiny feel.

Instead, I see the Seahawks entering a transition phase, like the Patriots in 2005 and 2006. The defense will probably take another step back this year, and the offense will probably have some growing pains. Still a good team that will be a threat in the playoffs, but I would happily take 11-5 this season given all the personnel issues and adversity on the schedule.

I think in a few years, Seattle will be more feared for their passing attack than their RB. Their defense will always be good so long as PC/JS are here, but maintaining that elite level will get harder every year as attrition factors.

Granted, Seattle is a few lucky breaks away from being the 2007 Patriots. Tom Brady saw his effectiveness increase dramatically when given #1 caliber weapons. I suspect it will be the same for Wilson, and he's got one now.

(Note to stupid people: I'm not being pessimistic about the Hawks. They are the best team in the NFL. But they do have more stuff to worry about right now than they did in 2012, 2013, or 2014. Maybe they catch a few breaks and they win SB 50. Let's see how it plays out.)

That's definitely the glass half empty side of things. There's no denying that we have some major holes to fill, and I'll add that there's some storm clouds on the horizon. One poster compared this upcoming season to the 2013 season that followed a tough loss at Atlanta. SB 49 was a tougher loss by a factor of at least 10, and unlike 2013, Pete has some major work to do in the locker room to re-establish his player's confidence in his coaching staff, and he's starting out behind the 8 ball as the Graham trade is not popular with at least a few players. This thing could easily turn into a huge mess if we start out the season by losing a couple of games. So keep your fingers crossed that we open up the season with teams like the Bears and Browns vs going on the road to Green Bay or Dallas. Winning cures a lot of evils, losing brings out the worst in people.

But we'll see. I'm rather neutral about things. I think that no matter what, we'll be a SB contender, but I don't feel as good about bringing home another Lombardi as I did at this time last season.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
kearly":b4q99o4u said:

Ugh. You've turned me back into old MontanaHawk05. 10-6.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":2bg6cn7j said:

Regarding this note, you should know by now that people are capable of disagreeing with you without being "stupid." For example, there was way more to worry about in 2012 --when we had multiple new or inexperienced starters, including at the critical QB position -- than this year when we return 11/12 starters on a proven defense and have added a 12th starter from the Eagles, in addition to 9/11 starters on offense and the addition of Jimmy Graham.

There were arguably more questions going into the 2014 season when the team had to figure out how it was going to replace Tate, Giacomini, McQuistan, Robinson, Rice, McDonald, Clemons, Bryant, Farwell, Maragos, Thurmond, Browner, etc. There was the additional concern of how the oft-injured Harvin would integrate into the offense and whether aging Marshawn Lynch would holdout or be traded. How soon we forget the challenges of the prior season.

I will now address each of your present 'concerns.'

(1) The secondary.

This seems to be your biggest worry. Let's start with the state of our three future HoFers: Chancellor and Sherman look pretty much healed from their late season injuries, and Thomas has said there is "no doubt" he will ready for Week One and is working hard right now to get there. I have zero concern over these three.

Cary Williams, Will Blackmon, Tharold Simon, and Marcus Burley should also be ready to go in Week One. Williams has played more cover snaps than anyone over the last two seasons. That means Carroll had plenty of tape on him when he decided to dedicate significant resources to signing him this off-season. Given his track record in scouting DBs, I'm going to have to trust Carroll on this one.

Blackmon is a solid addition and perhaps the favorite to start in the nickel defense while Jeremy Lane recovers from surgery.

Simon is questionable for the start of training camp, but is expected to be ready by the start of the season after recovering from shoulder surgery. Before his injury, he was covering receivers at a fairly elite level, allowing the fewest receptions and lowest QB rating in the league. After the injury, his game fell apart but he fought through it to help the team. Williams has way more experience, but Simon's high ceiling makes him a dark horse for playing time.

Burley's athleticism and instincts flashed at times while playing at slot corner. With more time to learn our system, his efficiency in the slot should only improve.

Are there questions about how Williams, Blackmon, Simon, and Burley will complement Chancellor, Thomas, and Sherman? Sure, those guys haven't proven themselves as full-time starters yet. However, that is a hell of a lot of talent that is expected to be ready to go to start the season -- more talent than any other secondary in the league.

(2) Pass rush.

Unlike after the 2014 season, every pass rusher is expected to return to the team, except for O'Brien Schofield, who disappointed in the Super Bowl with his failure to generate any pressure after Avril's early exit. Bennett-Avril provide us with one of the better one-two punches in the league. Irvin's role as a pass rusher will only grow now that he has added sufficient bulk to play on the line of scrimmage. Hill flashed as an interior pass rusher before his injury. And Marsh will also return to add competition to the pass rushing rotation. I would argue that this unit is a concern, but less of a concern than it was a year ago.

(3) Run blocking at TE.

We had the exact same issue last season after Zach Miller was IR'd. The only difference now is we have an entire off-season to prepare for it. Willson is going to need to get stronger and continue to develop his blocking technique under Cable. McCoy has a big frame and is a decent blocker. Carroll has mused about using Tukuafu as an in-line blocker at TE. Also, Gilliam could earn a role as a blocking TE as he gains more experience. A concern, yes, but once again less of a concern than it was last season.

(4) Richardson may not be 100% again until 2016.

Richardson didn't play a significant role last season. He has a chance to come off the PUP list and make an impact as we enter the playoffs. Given that every receiver returns to the team this year, and we added Jimmy Graham, I don't view this as much to worry over.

(5) Defense will regress???

You haven't provided any justification for this concern, outside of the pass rush (which returns almost all of its best pass rushers from last season) and the secondary (which looks to be the best in the league with three future HoFers leading the way in front of a deep group of unproven talent). On the whole, the defense looks more settled than it did a year ago when it was replacing numerous starters instead of just one.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1jw9wr4f said:

Come on bro... It's time to bring this ship into the shore, and throw away the oars, forever

back to back super bowl appearances.

kearly

Reaction score
drdiags":al3xnqaa said:
Oh wait, I may be one of the stupid people. Take it back!!! .

You are most definitely not.

If anyone disagrees with my view on these issues, great. I most definitely hope they are proven right. I just wanted to head off any team sycophant types who would skim over the good things I said and only focus on the negative. And I even said that a lot of the issues Seattle has could be fixed with simple good luck. Like say, Simon and Williams both stepping up at CB, or Marsh taking a step forward in the pass rush, etc.

RiverDog":al3xnqaa said:
That's definitely the glass half empty side of things. There's no denying that we have some major holes to fill, and I'll add that there's some storm clouds on the horizon. One poster compared this upcoming season to the 2013 season that followed a tough loss at Atlanta. SB 49 was a tougher loss by a factor of at least 10, and unlike 2013, Pete has some major work to do in the locker room to re-establish his player's confidence in his coaching staff, and he's starting out behind the 8 ball as the Graham trade is not popular with at least a few players. This thing could easily turn into a huge mess if we start out the season by losing a couple of games. So keep your fingers crossed that we open up the season with teams like the Bears and Browns vs going on the road to Green Bay or Dallas. Winning cures a lot of evils, losing brings out the worst in people.

But we'll see. I'm rather neutral about things. I think that no matter what, we'll be a SB contender, but I don't feel as good about bringing home another Lombardi as I did at this time last season.

The last couple years, Seattle was entering those seasons as a team basically without holes. They have some holes now, and while I am very upbeat about this upcoming draft and the overall direction of the team, I think there are going to be some potentially nasty problems next year that might not get fixed until 2016.

People bring up the Atlanta loss like it means something, but it means nothing. Seattle's success in 2013 was based on the fact that they had a loaded team with one of the higher team efficiency scores of all time, and not because they lost a playoff game to a vastly inferior opponent (by DVOA) the year before. Has Russell, Lynch, or the LOB ever looked like they didn't care? These guys really do play every game like it's a championship. So I would put precisely zero stock in the "Atlanta" theory. Sounds nice for radio though, I was surprised it took Mike Salk that long to think of it. Nothing against Salk who is good at what he does (I listen daily), but narratives don't win football games.

Thanks for your thoughts Riverdog. I'm not really worried about the team turning into a 'huge mess'. I think all the past history with Graham is going to be a non-factor if it isn't already. I am excited for the new passing game. I think Lynch will continue to be good so long as the OL stays healthy. Pretty much all of my concerns are short term only. That said, I do think 2015 is going to be a very challenging year and I think Seattle is going to have an uphill battle to the #1 seed this time.

kearly

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1lkbgwkq said:
kearly":1lkbgwkq said:
I was feeling pretty good about the OL until I heard about the cut block rules. Granted, I think only the "double-team" version of the cut block is being outlawed completely (there were 3 exceptions before), and (I think) mano e mano cut blocks are still allowed. Still, Cable relies very heavily on "dirty" blocking so this is something to watch, especially with the OL being so young and inexperienced in 2015.

The new cut block rules are only regarding the RB going low if the defender is already engaged. I believe that is the only change, no?

You are completely correct. I just double checked with google and it seems reports of the OL rule changes were vastly overstated. The NFL was considering a ban on all 2-1 cut blocks, but ultimately decided against such a ban for now. They did expand the "peel back" block ban of 2013 to include all players, not just OL.

So basically, the rule changes this year will not impact OL at all.

kearly

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":ui1g52mg said:

I think the fat part of the bell curve is probably at 11-5. Though Vegas would probably say 10-6, since Vegas is always so cautious with elite teams.

I think the Seahawks have a wider range of possibilities this year. They could be 14-2 or they could be 9-7. I would have told you "no way in hell" they'd go 9-7 each of the last three years, but this year it is faintly possible if the cracks in the armor are all exposed to the maximum effect.

I also think the schedule could be a real problem. Most of Seattle's road opponents, GB, Bal, Cin, Dallas, NFC West, are tough to beat every year. Minny is the only cupcake on the road sched, and they are a dangerous team if Bridgewater has an "on" game. Hopefully Seattle gets a lot of road "primetime" games this year to help keep the number of 10am starts down.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":255l402v said:
FlyHawksFly":255l402v said:
kearly":255l402v said:
I was feeling pretty good about the OL until I heard about the cut block rules. Granted, I think only the "double-team" version of the cut block is being outlawed completely (there were 3 exceptions before), and (I think) mano e mano cut blocks are still allowed. Still, Cable relies very heavily on "dirty" blocking so this is something to watch, especially with the OL being so young and inexperienced in 2015.

The new cut block rules are only regarding the RB going low if the defender is already engaged. I believe that is the only change, no?

Thanks. I just double checked with google and it seems reports of the OL rule changes were vastly overstated. The NFL was considering a ban on all 2-1 cut blocks, but ultimately decided against such a ban for now. They did expand the "peel back" block ban of 2013 to include all players, not just OL.

So basically, the rule changes this year will not impact OL at all.

Yes, you were misinformed about that potential rule change.

It's interesting to me that in your litany of concerns you fail to mention perhaps the most obvious one: lack of experience and personnel on an offensive line that has been our weakest unit for the last two seasons. Maybe that is because you have already suggested that the OL is not a Top 5 priority in the draft and are now digging in your heels so that you do not appear to be contradicting yourself.

Without accounting for the draft, we would have to replace two interior linemen with unproven and undrafted players in Bailey and Lewis. This is one reason OL is a priority in this draft.

Largent80

Reaction score
The only spot I am concerned with is the CB spot opposite Sherm. LB corps is intact. DL should be stout, we have one of the best pass catching red zone threats in the league, and have learned to be competitive on the road.

Also, there is nothing but improvement for S.T. I thought that was the weak link last year outside of the kicking game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":16fr1p4f said:
MontanaHawk05":16fr1p4f said:

Come on bro... It's time to bring this ship into the shore, and throw away the oars, forever

Oh gawd you went there! :34853_doh:

Now that stupid song will be stuck in my head for days...... 8)

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Largent80":3qewg11u said:
The only spot I am concerned with is the CB spot opposite Sherm. LB corps is intact. DL should be stout, we have one of the best pass catching red zone threats in the league, and have learned to be competitive on the road.

Also, there is nothing but improvement for S.T. I thought that was the weak link last year outside of the kicking game.

There are a few reasons why I am not particularly concerned about cornerback.

One, we have the best corner in the game shutting down the left side of the field.

Two, we have the best free safety in the game shadowing the other side of the field to assist the opposite boundary corner.

And three, Cary Williams is a highly experienced and productive corner with the length and aggressiveness that fits like a glove in Carroll's defensive scheme. He maintained a positive coverage grade in 2014 despite playing the highest number of coverage snaps in the league in an aggressive man coverage scheme. I don't think Carroll and Schneider would have signed CW to a three-year deal if they were not confident in his abilities.

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2015":7es0yvrh said:

It's interesting to me that in your litany of concerns you fail to mention perhaps the most obvious one: lack of experience and personnel on an offensive line that has been our weakest unit for the last two seasons. Maybe that is because you have already suggested that the OL is not a Top 5 priority in the draft and are now digging in your heels so that you do not appear to be contradicting yourself.

Without accounting for the draft, we would have to replace two interior linemen with unproven and undrafted players in Bailey and Lewis. This is one reason OL is a priority in this draft.

Every now and then, I'll read one of your posts to see if you've matured yet. Nope, still staying on ignore.

But since I'm here, yes, I did make a mistake running with something I read at .net and not fact-checking it first. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

Regarding the OL.

I played OL in HS and Division II... it's one of my favorite areas to scout. One of the joys of the preseason every year is going over each preseason play five times to watch each Hawks OL and DL do their thing. It is possible I have some significant bias in Tom Cable's favor, since he runs the OL with the same kind of values my coaches had.

When I watched Lewis last year, I was very impressed by the consistent quality of his blocking. Purely in terms of blocking, I thought Lewis was our best center last year (though a fully healthy Unger is obviously better). Lewis will need to learn line calls and the growing pains there could result in a few extra sacks that will be charged to Sweezy or Bailey, but will really be Lewis' fault. I'm not saying he's perfect, but Lewis is too talented to be only a backup, in my opinion. He should be starting somewhere. Might as well be here.

I like Bailey as well, especially if he gets his weight under control. When motivated, he's a good run blocker, and regardless of motivation he is a talented pass protector, even at LT. Another guy that is too talented to be a backup only, in my view. I do worry about his weight problem, but so far he's been well ahead of the curve for a young OL.

I'm hardly a duck homer, but I do think Long and Grasu make a ton of sense for Cable. If Long is there at #63, I'd rush to the podium for him. Grasu at #95? Sign me up. I just think getting those guys would require some luck, and the rest of the realistic options feel like lateral moves.

Seattle had a chance to sign Stefen Wisniewski, a solid center with experience, for only $2.5 million, and passed. Sure, they'd probably lose a future 7th conditional pick because of it, but overall, the total package to get Wisniewski was very small, and they passed. To me, this signals that Seattle will once again employ the shotgun method to OL talent with mid-to-late picks and UDFA, picking up perhaps 3 or even 4 new prospects in the draft process and see which ones stick. This has worked fairly well for Cable thus far. I trust that process.

In 2013, Seattle was ravaged by injuries and started a lot of games with fringe NFL types such as McQuistan, LMJ, and Bowie. They had for sure the worst pass protection in the league, and they won 16 out of 19 games and won the SB in blowout fashion. Seattle's OL wasn't perfect in 2012 or 2014 either, and those teams were major championship contenders as well.

While Wilson's health is of extreme importance, he's so far been magically durable at every level of football, and because Seattle attempts so few passes, his QB hit and sack counting stats end up around league average. Seattle has built a team that can win without having Tom Brady's OL. Everyone would always like it to be better, but the status quo is working.

Meanwhile, our run blocking is clearing a lane to Canton for #24.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":3kt9rfp6 said:
hawknation2015":3kt9rfp6 said:

Every now and then, I'll read one of your posts to see if you've matured yet. Nope, still staying on ignore.

Let's keep the personal attacks out of this, kearly. Stick to attacking the post, not the poster.

Thanks.

kearly

Reaction score
It's crystal clear that you only respond to my posts to antagonize. Why would I not find that to be immature behavior? Why would I not put that behavior on ignore?

I actually think you are a decent poster, when you are not in this mode.

titan3131

Reaction score
hawknation2015":f8ec6sbv said:
kearly":f8ec6sbv said:
hawknation2015":f8ec6sbv said:

Let's keep the personal attacks out of this, kearly. Stick to attacking the post, not the poster.

Thanks.

that wasnt a personal attack.

A personal attack would be "your post clearly shows your a mouthbreather who can chew his food without choking on his own saliva."

He informed you on his opinion of the post.

Personally I would want to know why one of the smartest posters on the board thinks something about me whether positive or negative.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":2biqdsq5 said:
Didn't read. I don't know why you respond to so many of my posts. I only read maybe 10% of them.

I think this is the kind of "discussion" that is better suited for PM. I am equally surprised at the number of my posts that you reply to given that I am supposedly on ignore, LOL.

Again, I suggest we tailor our discussion to the substance of the posts rather than level personal attacks or play juvenile games with one another that diminish the quality of discussion on the board, i.e. "Didn't read." I will continue to respond to the substance of your posts, as I do with everyone else's.

titan3131":2biqdsq5 said:
hawknation2015":2biqdsq5 said:

Thanks.

that wasnt a personal attack.

A personal attack would be "your post clearly shows your a mouthbreather who can chew his food without choking on his own saliva."

He informed you on his opinion of the post.

Personally I would want to know why one of the smartest posters on the board thinks something about me whether positive or negative.

Yes, commenting on another poster's lack of maturity is very clearly a personal attack. I already know why he has proclaimed that he doesn't like me, as he posted several lines of invective against me on this board and via PM. Unfortunately, I cannot state the reason for this without discussing his personality.

I think this is the kind of "discussion" that is better suited for PM. I am equally surprised at the number of my posts that you reply to given that I am supposedly on ignore, LOL.

I am pretty sure this is the first one.

Nope, I can link to several others if you would like. One right below this one commenting on a post that you say you did not read.