Expectations

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Even though the 2022 season isn’t officially over it is for the Seahawks. The 2022 season was probably my most favorite other than winning XLVIII. going into the season with little to no expectations was relaxing for the most part. Every win was just a bonus. We as fans got to experience a bonus game with the playoffs while the younger players got playoff experience.

It was truly great fun rooting every week for two teams…the Seahawks and whoever played the Broncos. That’s in the past now and there are a lot of offseason changes ahead. We have the combine, free agency, the draft, mini camps, potential June 1 cuts, etc.

Last offseason, the expectations were very low and rightly so. Fast forward to this offseason and what are the expectations? We have another boatload of draft picks coming up with 4 (so far🤔) in the first two rounds. As of February 4th we aren’t too sure who the QB will be but I suspect it will be Geno.

This isn’t a thread about drafting or not drafting a QB. It isn’t about Geno. It isn’t even about last year. What it hopefully is about is our expectations as fans of this team for the upcoming season.

I’m not sure what to expect as of now. We don’t have any real clue as to what percentage of new players will be on the team for this upcoming season. We actually know very little. I do know I’m excited for the future based partly off of the 2022 season but also based on some key high pick’s coming up along with last year’s stellar draft class.

Will 2023 have some growing pains for the younger guys? Will a sophomore slump hit some, any or all of last years picks? Will free agency bring some much needed studs? Will the draft come close to last years haul in terms of quality starters and depth?

Most years I feel like I have a fairly good grasp of the next years potential. I have no clue as of right now. Do they slip back a bit in win total? Do they stay the same or add to the win total?

I know it’s way too early in the offseason for prognostications but damn I’m excited for the future. Just not sure when it will really all come together.

I can have pie in the eye expectations and hope the bring home another championship. I can have deep in the playoffs expectations.

Would a repeat of this year in terms of win totals and one and done in the playoffs be enough for most fans or are the expectations through the roof for the next NFL dynasty? Is an NFCW title even a possibility in 2023?

WarHawks

Reaction score
With all the draft capital we have, I personally would be disappointed if we're one and done in the playoffs again. That would mean our D hasn't improved significantly. If that happens, then the status quo is obviously not sufficient.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
With all the draft capital we have, I personally would be disappointed if we're one and done in the playoffs again. That would mean our D hasn't improved significantly. If that happens, then the status quo is obviously not sufficient.
I’d be fine if we regressed in wins next year as long as we don’t give Geno a huge contract, draft with the same strategy as this year, and continue developing the young guys.

This was the start of a legit rebuild which should take 2-3 yrs to bear fruit if all goes well. The record this year was a product of an extremely weak schedule and Geno over performing.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
I expect to see significant improvement in the trenches (both sides of the ball), better tackling, and personally would like to see more emphasis on toxic differential (gotta get after the ball and cash in on more of those opportunities).

I don't care if this equates to wins, I think Seattle is a few pieces away. We'll see though, trending upwards.

Last edited:

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I expect that our O will improve slightly, by maybe 1 point per game average. I expect the D will be improved with better run-stopping, and about 3 or 4 fewer points per game on average. I expect 12 or 13 wins next year and the NFC West crown to return to it's rightful owner (us). That's my expectation.

The whiners are without their wunderkind QB and shot their wad this year. The lambs are a shell of their former selves. The tards still have Kyler Murray and his contract.

Mick063

Reaction score
The boom draft class was this 2022 season. Counting the standard one-year extension, the team has a four-year window to put something relevant together. We can handle a minor setback for the upcoming season, but that is about all of the margin of error that is available. The idea is to get the large majority of the talent under rookie deals and to fill in the gaps with impact free agents when the Super Bowl Window opens. The team can do it with or without Geno, but I believe the best chance is with him. He is a small part of the equation. I believe a competent rookie deal QB wouldn't be as effective as Geno but would also free up money for elsewhere. It would be a wash.

The team needs a Chis Jones/Frank Clark combo (Nwosu can potentially fit here) and an Eagles level front seven. They have four years to get it done. The offense only needs a couple pieces (assuming Geno is resigned). A tackle breaking power runner and a center/guard hybrid that can play both roles equally effective. Not necessarily to be a top five offense, but an offense that is plenty good enough if the defensive front seven is adequately addressed.

Last edited:

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
We had the 4th easiest SOS this year. Next year will be harder by virtue of finishing 2nd in the NFCW. I am guessing we bring back Geno. We don't have much cap space left after that move. We have a handful of other FA. If we hit on the draft like we did last year, I could see 9 wins again. If we don't, I could see a regression coming.

We really need to hit on this draft and next year's. 2024 is the year we have cap space and hopefully 3 solid draft classes in a row. Personally, I hope we hit on a QB between now and then. Geno is getting older and honestly, not a QB we win a SB with, unless we have a roster stacked like SF (which took 5-7 years of drafting to get).

bileever

Reaction score
It's unrealistic to think that the Seahawks will be Super Bowl contenders next year. The team is still a work in progress. Even if they acquire the right pieces this off-season, it will take at least another year for everything to gel.

Meanwhile, the 49ers will still be formidable next year, quarterback or no quarterback. In three games, the Seahawks were barely able to move the ball against their defense this year. I'm hoping for at least a small improvement in the regard next year, maybe with an improved O-line and a stronger RB room.

My expectations are that the defense, after a long time in the gutter, will finally take a step forward, hopefully because Pete and John will have addressed the front seven in a sensible and sustainable way. (No retreads or rent-a-vets, please.) A middle tier, but improving defense would be a huge step in the right direction. But I also know that there are a lot of missing pieces there, and it maybe too much to expect it will all be fixed in one year.

So my expectation is for an improved team next year that will challenge for a playoff spot. I hope the team will be as fun to watch as last year's was. And that the defense will be more watchable in 2023.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
My expectations for 2023 are tempered by the fact that our non-NFCW 2023 opponents are clearly better teams than the ones we faced last year.

Last year, we faced off against a weak NFCS division and we went 0-4. Terrible. And against the AFCW, we went 2-2, which was actually okay.

In 2024, we will face the AFCN and the NFCE. Both divisions are better than the ones we faced this past year. CIN, BAL, PIT, PHI, DAL and NYG are all very solid teams.

Having a winning season next year will be a major challenge.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Despite hitting on the draft last season, I feel like there is way more variables this off-season. IIRC we we're primarily worried about QB followed by pass rush and OL last year.
This season the defense is knowingly a much bigger problem than we thought it was going into last season. Then we have the FA's. No QB, no center, a right guard that can't get through a season without Phil Haynes who is a FA. Cody Barton a FA and Brooks out for who knows how long. Goodwin, Penny and Homer FA's, so need depth at WR and RB. Ryan Neal, Poona Ford both FA's. There's a lot to do. Hard to really have any expectations at this point other than fixing as much of this as they can in the most impactful way that they can.

NoGain

Reaction score
My expectation is for us to start tackling better and not getting so pushed around and bullied in the trenches. This has got to stop. If the interior of our offensive line gets upgraded, and our defensive front is markedly improved upon through the draft and FAcy, there's no reason why we couldn't be a playoff team next year, and compete for a little more than that in the coming seasons.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
My expectation is 12 wins and an NFC championship game appearance. Anything less suggests the team is building incorrectly and the front office should seriously consider finding a new coach

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I think we will gain one more game in the win column too. The one concern I have is if Santa Clara drafts 4 quarterbacks to help them out.

:ROFLMAO: ;):p

scutterhawk

Reaction score
My expectation is for us to start tackling better and not getting so pushed around and bullied in the trenches. This has got to stop. If the interior of our offensive line gets upgraded, and our defensive front is markedly improved upon through the draft and FAcy, there's no reason why we couldn't be a playoff team next year, and compete for a little more than that in the coming seasons.
This is where I am too.
It's damned hard to do a quickie Reload like Pete had to do last year.
Geno Smith came through EXCEPTIONALLY well, considering that he had two Rookie Tackles, a Center that was one of the worst in the League, and having Penny & the other RB's sustaining injuries early on, a Defense that was one of the very worst in the League at stopping the run, and giving away the TOP in a lot of games last year.
It was Pete Carroll who was instrumental in giving Geno his chance to prove himself to the NFL World that he wasn't an all washed up & washed out 31 year-old Quarterback, so IF Geno wants to show his gratitude to Pete Carroll for putting all his faith in him, let's see if he reciprocates by signing to a contract that doesn't hamstring Pete as he's putting the finishing touches on his final few seasons as Head Coach of the Seattle Seahawks.
Spotlight's on ya Geno.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I don't think this team is a draft away from being dominant but dominant isn't a prerequisite for winning a Super Bowl. You clear up some significant deficincies on defense and give Geno another option at WR and you put yourself back into the playoffs and with a real chance of competing.

GemCity

Reaction score
10-7. But, we put up a helluva fight in those losses. While that record isn’t as optimistic as I’d like, we nail another draft and our youngsters get invaluable experience and we start to form our identity.

In 24, it’s on.

Last edited: