Graham and blocking

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Fact: in 2013 Jimmy was target 144 times.

Fact: In 2013 Jimmy scored a TD or made a first down on 53.4% (77) of his targets.

Basically every other throw to him was a first down or a TD. It almost seem too good to be true. I could care less about his blocking if he can repeat those numbers.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3dkojlz7 said:

Fact: In 2013 Jimmy scored a TD or made a first down on 53.4% (77) of his targets.

Basically every other throw to him was a first down or a TD. It almost seem too good to be true. I could care less about his blocking if he can repeat those numbers.

Now look who else was on the team that allowed him to have room to work, teams that gain a lot of yards seem to have multiple threats through the air, have one and they can be isolated and shut down a lot.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
If they double him, Lynch or Wilson will tear off even more big runs than last year. Plus ADB will have more room in the middle to make his clutch plays.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
chris98251":hz00qmvb said:
Now look who else was on the team that allowed him to have room to work, teams that gain a lot of yards seem to have multiple threats through the air, have one and they can be isolated and shut down a lot.

I acknowlege the need to temper one's enthusiasm, but our WRs will be open more because of the simple fact that most defenses need to bracket Jimmy. Only a scant few have enough physicality to effectively jam him at the LOS.

'Room to work?' He excels at catching in traffic and almost nobody can defend his jump ball. I agree that we don't have the multiple receiving threats to blow things wide open, but it's hard to fathom Jimmy not improving the offense a whole. The ripple effect will come from him freeing up our other targets. Not the other way around.

chris98251

Reaction score
He may catch in traffic but against CB's not LB's so much or Safeties like LB's, why N.O. had him playing in the WR position, not as a typical TE.

The usage and scheme has to be taken into effect, Sproles was a deadly receiver safety valve as well and no real running threat was in N.O. I agree he will cause a ripple effect, but I don't expect the type of numbers or role he had in N.O. here.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
blazen2392":3nf0hhqx said:
No. People call him soft because he shied away from contact against Kam. Despite being 265 he does not use his body to punish defenders the way gronk does. He also has a tendency to dissappear from games especially when DBs are being physical with him.

It sounds like you don't think JG is a very effective catcher of the ball.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":ljlkcbl8 said:

And this is why we traded for him. Like someone said earlier, Jimmy Graham is a tight end in name only. He spent a lot of effort and money to say that he is a wide receiver, and frankly, I believe him.

And I think the "soft" label is a misconception that people tend to come up with when someone starts it, then it gets "retweeted" over and over.

Sure he shied away from contact with Kam Chancellor, but he was smart to do so.

Demaryius Thomas didn't shy away from Kam Chancellor in the Superbowl, and ended up with a separated shoulder. Vernon Davis didn't shy away from Kam Chancellor, and ended up with a concussion.

Graham played all of 2012 with a wrist injury. I'd lay odds that the Saints coaching staff said something along the lines of "Jimmy, don't over do it when blocking, we need to preserve that injured wrist for catching first downs and touchdowns."

That year, despite an injured wrist, Jimmy still caught 85 passes for 982 yards, with an average of 11.6 YPC and 9 touchdowns. Not bad

In 2013 he caught 86 passes for 1215 yards, with an average of 14.1 YPC and 16 touchdowns! That's phenomenal!

Rather than the soft label, I think he's showed a lot of toughness in playing through injuries. Rather than complain when asked, Jimmy always says "Everybody here is playing with some kind of injury."

From NFL.com:

"Although Graham hasn't been the same since his early October right shoulder sprain...

Graham's inability to fight for contested balls and lunge for errant passes has been similar to that of Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne, who is playing through a torn triceps.

The Saints have been tight-lipped about the particulars of Graham's injury, but there are signs that it is more serious than originally reported.

During the broadcast of the Week 10 game versus the San Francisco 49ers, Fox Sports sideline reporter Pam Oliver revealed that Graham was getting a maximum of four hours of sleep per night due to the pain in his shoulder.

The All-Pro tight end is no stranger to lingering injuries. His consistency has taken a severe blow due to a 2012 season-long wrist injury, a 2013 torn plantar fascia and the current shoulder sprain.

In effect, Graham has been half as productive while battling through injuries.

At peak strength over the past two years, he has averaged eight receptions, 104 yards and a touchdown per game. Unable to beat double teams and fight through traffic at the catch point, that average has dropped to 4.5 catches, 52 yards and 0.8 touchdowns while playing in pain.
"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... g-saints-o