Green Bay's DL THAT Good Or Our OL THAT Bad?

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
R E L A X. It's going to take some time to come together. I was at the 49er game today and watched a completely inept offense. Steady lads, it's coming.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
getnasty":3al9c79g said:
I believe the Packers were 6th in the league last year in sack so there DL is a good one.

Well that is true. They were 6th last year in sacks so they aren't some scrub DL suddenly appearing out of nowhere. For what it's worth.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
Green Bay is generally considered to have above average but not top-end lines on both sides of the ball. Seahawks are considered to have an awesome defensive line and a terrible offensive line.

One approach to team-building clearly won out today.

adeltaY

Reaction score
SeahawksCanuck":3s1dbdba said:
Green Bay is generally considered to have above average but not top-end lines on both sides of the ball. Seahawks are considered to have an awesome defensive line and a terrible offensive line.

One approach to team-building clearly won out today.

Eh, I think GB has had an elite OL for a couple years now. They were at their peak in run and pass blocking in 2014 when Rodgers was the MVP, and they're still elite at pass blocking if their starting 5 are playing. Losing Bulaga really hurt them this game, but they still won. :/

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Our O-line is dat bad!
When we need GB to beat someone you can count on that defense to disappear.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Our O-line is dat bad!
When we need GB to beat someone you can count on that defense to disappear.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
adeltaY":1dcshtpl said:
Eh, I think GB has had an elite OL for a couple years now. They were at their peak in run and pass blocking in 2014 when Rodgers was the MVP, and they're still elite at pass blocking if their starting 5 are playing. Losing Bulaga really hurt them this game, but they still won. :/

In addition to Bulaga not playing, they also lost their pro-bowl guard (Lang) and starting center (Tretter) to FA this year.

They're far from elite at this point (and TBF have always been a bit overrated because Rodgers is a straight up genius in the pocket, and in manipulating movement inside the tackle box more generally).

Re: the Packers defense, they were 6th in sacks last year, but that's a bit inflated because they had an unsustainable level of QB hurries result in sacks (sacks are pretty random, and hurries are a much better and more stable measurement of pass rush productivity).

They were middle of the pack in terms of hurries, and last year were a below average defense overall by DVOA.

Each year in the NFL really is a different year and they did spend their first four picks in the draft on defense this year, but none of their draft picks on defense have been able to crack the starting lineup.

Probably not what many people want to hear this morning, but it is the truth.

ptisme

Reaction score
Popeyejones":31ykjji6 said:
adeltaY":31ykjji6 said:

In addition to Bulaga not playing, they also lost their pro-bowl guard (Lang) and starting center (Tretter) to FA this year.

They're far from elite at this point (and TBF have always been a bit overrated because Rodgers is a straight up genius in the pocket, and in manipulating movement inside the tackle box more generally).

Re: the Packers defense, they were 6th in sacks last year, but that's a bit inflated because they had an unsustainable level of QB hurries result in sacks (sacks are pretty random, and hurries are a much better and more stable measurement of pass rush productivity).

They were middle of the pack in terms of hurries, and last year were a below average defense overall by DVOA.

Each year in the NFL really is a different year and they did spend their first four picks in the draft on defense this year, but none of their draft picks on defense have been able to crack the starting lineup.

Probably not what many people want to hear this morning, but it is the truth.
Green Bay's defense is completely different from last year. They signed House in FA to start at RCB. Both their starting corners last year played with torn groins that required surgery this off season. Remember in the playoffs against the Falcons when Randall was playing 12 yards off his receiver? Those guys are healthy and aggressive.
They also run a different defense now where they replaced an ILB with a safety. They are a much faster and healthy defense right now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We better HOPE that GB's D-line is just that good............cause what I saw yesterday from our O-line?

That was historically bad, like one of the worst O-line performances I've ever seen............and I've watched 40 years of Hawk football, so that's REALLY saying something.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1bt1argy said:
I watch teams moving the ball and scoring on GB all the time. The Falcons will score 30 plus next week, just watch.

For whatever reason, we can't do anything against them. Just look at Wilson's numbers in his last 4 games vs them... 2014 NFCCG and regular season games in 2015, 2016, and today.

Ugly. They have some good players, but we make them look way better than they actually are.

The frequency which the GB Defense was cutting through our O-Line says it all....Our O-Line is still a long ways out.
I sure hope that they are all great students of the game and can find a way to patch up all the holes; can Y'all imagine what they are going to look like when going up against the Rams D?????
An aside...The bias for GB by the Officials was disturbing.
The Seahawks Defense got called for Pass Interferences, + an uncalled for ejection on Lane????
Several times, GB's D was BLATANTLY getting away with grabbing Graham's jersey.
Shitty Officiating can screw up a game pretty quick, this game is proof of that......These guys get paid to do this?....Seriously??????

chris98251

Reaction score
Capers knows how to attack Bevells offense, has done it over and over, they also attack our weaknesses and over load on it, the line is that weakness, we get the Packers seemingly pretty early most times so the learning curve of late season heroics has not kicked in yet.

The Gemini Method

Reaction score
Definitely most of the blame goes to the continued porous OL. The Packers' D started off last year in the top 10. But then we saw how they fared later down the road an versus a skilled offense in Atlanta. I would say they're above average. But the OL seems to be, once again, the Achilles Heel of the Seahawks O.

ptisme

Reaction score
The Gemini Method":2ufdeu0c said:
Definitely most of the blame goes to the continued porous OL. The Packers' D started off last year in the top 10. But then we saw how they fared later down the road an versus a skilled offense in Atlanta. I would say they're above average. But the OL seems to be, once again, the Achilles Heel of the Seahawks O.
They started off in the top 10 then lost all their corners...

PackerNation

Reaction score
Isn't that a rookie LT, left to block Perry all alone?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/906977999089799168[/tweet]

Our DL is pretty good, although Matthews appears to be in decline. I would say it was a combination of a subpar OL against a pretty solid DL.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Seattle had 42 sacks in 2016, Green Bay had 40.

Last years defensive woes for the Packers was the secondary, not their front seven. They have a damn good unit, the stats at the end of the year will show this.

Book it.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1g5f5zr6 said:
Seattle had 42 sacks in 2016, Green Bay had 40.

Last years defensive woes for the Packers was the secondary, not their front seven. They have a damn good unit, the stats at the end of the year will show this.

Book it.

Julius Peppers doesn't play for the Packers anymore.