Greg Cosell on the Herd

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3uyafhog said:
CurryStopstheRuns":3uyafhog said:
To be clear, Cosell said that Sherman and Browner were not physical at the line of scrimmage. His definition was that they will not manhandle the WR's off of the line, but their game is more to quick jab and mirror rather than maul the WR right at the snap.

How dare you bring facts into this.

Cosell lives in film rooms and bases his opinions on tape-watching. He's one of the most well-respected analysts out there. And he's right - Sherman and Browner often give a sharp jam and then turn to run. Their physicality often comes afterward as they come back to their man on stick routes.

Sorry if I'm a "fanboy on twitter" for liking him...

Agreed. I am no "fanboy" and only hear about his analysis on this board so I cannot speak to his knowledge. I just wanted to make it clear what he actually said instead of some hacked version bent towards playing the disrespect card.

Foghawk

Reaction score
Wow, I'd love for him to tell Browner that in person. Maybe he'd get the Dr. D treatment lol

[youtube]zrX9Ca7LSyQ[/youtube]

OP
OP
Okungfu

Okungfu

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":233i7wcl said:
MontanaHawk05":233i7wcl said:
CurryStopstheRuns":233i7wcl said:
To be clear, Cosell said that Sherman and Browner were not physical at the line of scrimmage. His definition was that they will not manhandle the WR's off of the line, but their game is more to quick jab and mirror rather than maul the WR right at the snap.

How dare you bring facts into this.

Cosell lives in film rooms and bases his opinions on tape-watching. He's one of the most well-respected analysts out there. And he's right - Sherman and Browner often give a sharp jam and then turn to run. Their physicality often comes afterward as they come back to their man on stick routes.

Sorry if I'm a "fanboy on twitter" for liking him...

Agreed. I am no "fanboy" and only hear about his analysis on this board so I cannot speak to his knowledge. I just wanted to make it clear what he actually said instead of some hacked version bent towards playing the disrespect card.

Sorry my version is not " Hacked " he doesn't come out and say " at the line of scrimmage " only infers it , which still by my count is BS since were known for getting our hands on WR's and disrupting the timing of their routes. Out side of the mirror comment I posted what he said , feel free to go to ESPN and listen to the last minute of todays show for yourself

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Everybody outraged by this is being dumb. He is using the word physical in the sense of scheme,
They are PRESS and bail corners. They do not try to jamb and dominate by keeping the guy in the 5 yard contact area and kicking his ass, they redirect and bail.

The physical ass kicking you have seen down the field is when the QB leaves the pocket, those receivers now become blockers, and our corners have licence to engage.

And he is correct, they can get open on our guys. I won't be surprised by 200 yards from White and Jones. As long as we keep them out of the end zone by and large, that will be the goal.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Okungfu":2xhvb4jy said:
CurryStopstheRuns":2xhvb4jy said:
CurryStopstheRuns":2xhvb4jy said:

Sorry my version is not " Hacked " he doesn't come out and say " at the line of scrimmage " only infers it , which still by my count is BS since were known for getting our hands on WR's and disrupting the timing of their routes. Out side of the mirror comment I posted what he said , feel free to go to ESPN and listen to the last minute of todays show for yourself

I heard it on the radio this morning and your version is more hacked than Jim Duggan. To be physical anywhere other than the line of scrimmage will get you a penalty, minus the QB leaving the tackle box. You call it inference and I call it common sense. He also mentioned that they do not always engage WR's which contradicts what you claim as well. It may just be the defensive play call, but both of our CB's will just run the route with the WR at times without any sort of contact. His analysis is pretty spot on. Both of our CB's are known for a quick jab and shadow the WR. Where they get physical is when, as already mentioned by previous comments, the QB gets out of the pocket and then Sherman and Browner tee off on the WR's.

OP
OP
Okungfu

Okungfu

Reaction score
Okungfu":2a1jfab9 said:
He says Sherman and Browner are not physical corners , but are press corners and that White and Jones will get open on them ?

I heard it on the radio this morning and your version is more hacked than Jim Duggan.[/quote]

Here it is exactly

Coherd " Whats the film tell ya who's the better team ?

Cosell " Well the match up everyone is talking about is going to be White and Jones on Sherman and Browner and I like White and Jones to beat Sherman and Browner and I think the Falcons will do a lot of things with movement, stacked releases, bunch concepts. I think they will help get those WR's open . Sherman and Browner are press corners, but their not physical press corners their mirror press corners, they do not always put their hands on the receiver, I think that match up favors White and Jones "

Don't see where I hacked anything !

FOGHORN

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3lfo9klc said:
FOGHORN":3lfo9klc said:
Steve2222":3lfo9klc said:
People act like Roddy and Julio are unguardable.

And some people on hear act like Browner and Sherman are the best corners in the history of the NFL.

I don't think White/Jones are untouchable nor do I feel Browner/Sherman are bums. It does surprise me for Cosell to say they aren't physical. Very puzzling. But had he said they are going to dominate there would be a lot of cyber high fiving and declaring this guy an NFL guru.

I guess all fan message boards are created equal as far as the make up of fans. Some guys on the Falcon boards get riled up too over objective comments.
Weird...I've yet to see one person say that Browner and Sherman would shut down Julio and Roddy.

Weierder. I have yet to accuse anyone of saying this.

Hendo66

Reaction score
Cosell said they are physical "shadow" corners and not physical "press" corners or something to that effect.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
All technicalities aside, Browner is one of the most physical DB's in the game. That's all I know.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
The part that intrigued me there was if the Falcons go with different formations to try and spring their guys lose. Have we faced teams that would move their main receivers inside for matchup purposes? If so what have we done in that situation? Jsut wondering if they moved White or Jones into the slot would one of our corners go with them?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":3ih03lq9 said:
The part that intrigued me there was if the Falcons go with different formations to try and spring their guys lose. Have we faced teams that would move their main receivers inside for matchup purposes? If so what have we done in that situation? Jsut wondering if they moved White or Jones into the slot would one of our corners go with them?

I'm pretty sure Miami did this with Davone Bess and he had a 129-yard game. Seven catches from nine targets. I can't remember how we tried to cover him.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Okungfu":a4v9aqnl said:
Sherman and Browner are press corners, but their not physical press corners their mirror press corners

He's talking about technique here, a move, a technique, style of play, etc.

1. Press corner - jab (quick pop) at line of scrimmage and shadow route
2. Physical press corner - try to prevent them from getting off line of scrimmage, maul for 5 yards

He's not saying they aren't physical players, they're just not playing the 'physical press corner' technique/style.

At least that's how I read it.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
Foghawk":2ikguny2 said:
Wow, I'd love for him to tell Browner that in person. Maybe he'd get the Dr. D treatment lol

[youtube]zrX9Ca7LSyQ[/youtube]

I had never seen that video. That is freaking awesome!

Latest posts