Guard Jahri Evans Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
All of the above, plus that vibe of a solid veteran player chasing a ring one last time is a good ingredient to add to the mix.

King Dog

Reaction score
Heck yes. I've wanted the FO to bring in a few Evans "type" players all off-season in case things don't go as planned. I hope we sign him if he's ready to go.

Tical21

Reaction score
A. The line reportedly has been HORRIBLY SCARY through the first week. This is a panic move.

B. He isn't the type of guy to come here for a tryout, unless the deal is 90% done.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Tical21":3lgn5m70 said:
A. The line reportedly has been HORRIBLY SCARY through the first week. This is a panic move.

B. He isn't the type of guy to come here for a tryout, unless the deal is 90% done.

He also has to be panicking a bit. Training camps are in full swing and he still hasn't secured a pay check for this season.

I think the situation is probably similar to last season when they had a visit from Evan Mathis. The team would like to sign a stalwart veteran on the cheap. The veteran wants to play here and compete for a Super Bowl, but money is numero uno.

Early reports on Ifedi and Glowinski have been pretty good, so adding Evans would greatly enhance their depth with a true veteran presence.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Evans played with Brees, who isn't the tallest QB. I remember reading an article on Saints getting creative with their oline to create bigger throwing lanes for Brees. That type of experience might be helpful for Seahawks young Oline.

kf3339

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1x3vene2 said:
Evans probably has more NFL starts than the rest of the offensive line combined

Actually, I think you meant more starts than all of the Offensive Line players in camp combined. I'm pretty certain that would be a true statement.

Tical21

Reaction score
hawknation2016":3tkxhbts said:
Tical21":3tkxhbts said:

He also has to be panicking a bit. Training camps are in full swing and he still hasn't secured a pay check for this season.

I think the situation is probably similar to last season when they had a visit from Evan Mathis. The team would like to sign a stalwart veteran on the cheap. The veteran wants to play here and compete for a Super Bowl, but money is numero uno.

Early reports on Ifedi and Glowinski have been pretty good, so adding Evans would greatly enhance their depth with a true veteran presence.
I don't think Evans has any chance of not playing this season if he wants to, considering the state of line play in the NFL. he can literally choose just about any team and go play, but you're right, it's a money thing at this point.

I haven't been hearing good things about Glowinski thus far. Not sure his role is written in pen yet.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
I wish Monroe didn't retire we could definitely use a vet presence at tackle as well.

original poster

Reaction score
Tical21":fuoyb1rm said:

That goes against everything I've heard to date excluding Webb @ RT?

razor150

Reaction score
kobebryant":2lsqyltw said:
Evans has been a 16 game starter throughout his career until last season where he missed 5. So, a pretty good track record of reliability.

Then the real question is why is he available? At his age he still should have a few good years left since good OL are often good even into their late 30s.

mikeak

Reaction score
Tical21":380zpfza said:

Agree - when practice is so bad you tell the defense to let up then you have to be worried. Especially considering the number of Sacks the Seahawks had last year

Tical21":380zpfza said:

Disagree -- anyone sitting unsigned at this stage in the game is panic a bit. This is not Baseball where you can sit on the couch for preseason and come in and play 100+ games. You need to be in the trenches now especially O-line

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Tical21":1fo6j207 said:

Reported by who? Where?

Haven't seen that anywhere. Just curious.

kearly

Reaction score
It's risky to take other people's opinions as gospel, but here's what the Saints SB Nation site said of Jarhi Evans at the end of last season:

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/20 ... ird-by-pff

I saw some weaknesses with several players. Jahri Evans while playing well for most of the season is aging and has had injury issues of late.

The Saints OL was ranked 3rd by PFF last season. PFF can be horribly wrong of course, but their evaluations are still worth hearing out and their unit rankings tend to be decent. PFF mentioned Evans in passing by saying that he was "average" and "not getting any younger" in their analysis of the Saints offseason. In 2014 PFF graded Evans as a very poor pass protector and a pretty good run blocker. So he definitely fits the Tom Cable mold in that respect. As always, those grades have to be taken cautiously, but they seem to fall in line with common sense.

And of course, this is all based on his play on a different team in a different offense. Maybe he'd be revitalized in Seattle, or maybe his decline would accelerate due to a new offense and a weaker supporting cast on the line.

Based on this, it paints a picture for Jahri Evans that resembles 2012 Steve Hutchinson. I'd be just fine if Seattle made the signing, but I'd also understand if they pass. If they think our current guard group can be average, then it might make more sense to pass on Evans. If they don't, then Evans has appeal as a 1 year bandaid.

mikeak

Reaction score
kearly":1oawj7j4 said:
very poor pass protector and a pretty good run blocker. .

I am going to completely focus on this part and ignore the rest and hopefully that is ok :)

The only issue I would have with this approach by the team (not the assessment) is that our issues has "kind of" been reversed..........(to put it mildly)

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I actually think a Gilliam - Glowinski - Hunt - Ifedi - Webb line could actually be quiet decent. I'm not really sure if we need a declining player like Evans, especially if his price is steep.

hawk45

Reaction score
The first couple of seasons injuries killed the OL. The last couple of seasons have been poor decision-making in terms of how many positions to replace at once at the beginning of the season, and how green the replacements were.

I understand there is no way to conduct a salary-swap like this, and that the proven OL vets aren't out there for the taking, but in terms of critical success factors, if there were a way to swap Graham's salary for 2 or 3 average or above average vet FAs on the OL on 1-year contracts, I'd do that in a heartbeat just so there is a plan B when plan A turns into a disaster as it has the last 2 years.

The team kicking the tires on vet OL players gives me a better feeling than all the camps, preseasons, Cable-comments, and third-party observations combined.

kearly

Reaction score
One other thing to consider about signing Evans. Aside from the money, he'd also cost a roster spot. This would probably bump a guard off the roster, mostly likely Kristjan Sokoli. Depending on how you feel that could be a dealbreaker, though for me I'm okay with it because I think Sokoli is probably practice-squad safe.

synergize

Reaction score
kearly":w64y65we said:
It makes sense if the numbers work out. Seattle is currently projected to have one of the youngest and least experienced OL in the NFL.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
By week 6, this is the lineup.

Gilliam, Odhiambo, Glowinski, Evans, Ifedi.....

Arguments for moving Glowinski to Center is he played Center in JUCO and at times at WVU....he's the strongest of the rookies last year....

Britt, Webb and Hunt, Poole are your 4 swing guys....

Status
Not open for further replies.