Hahahahaha. Dallas Jonese's it with the 4th pick

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
As much as I think Derrick Henry would be an absolutely awful fit in Seattle, he is PERFECT for the Cowboys and that offensive line. I think Jerruh really screwed the pooch not taking Ramsey and then getting Henry in Round 2.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
The title of this thread made me think of the Dylan song Ballad of a Thin Man.....

"Something's happening
But you don't know what it is
Do you Mister Jones?"

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
By the way, you would be shocked just how effective a good or great RB is at making an average defense look good.

Or a bad defense look average.

Remember, good run games keep the D off the field, let them rest and let them go full out on more downs because they don't have to worry about exhausting themselves.

One of the very best fixes for a defense is a solid run game.

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2xggsich said:
As much as I think Derrick Henry would be an absolutely awful fit in Seattle, he is PERFECT for the Cowboys and that offensive line. I think Jerruh really screwed the pooch not taking Ramsey and then getting Henry in Round 2.

That's a fair point. I still think Dallas did the right thing though. Elliott is the kind of RB who can pick up his team when things aren't going well, whereas I see Henry as the kind of back that pads his stats in games that his team would have won without him.

NFL.com compares Elliott to Edgerrin James and compares Henry to Brandon Jacobs. If you are the Cowboys and you badly need a RB, would you pass on Edgerrin James at #4 and take Brandon Jacobs at #34? I get the reasoning, but I think Edgerrin James + Mackensie Alexander is going to help the Cowboys more than Jalen Ramsey + Brandon Jacobs.

That said, If I'm the GM of the NFL's next expansion franchise and I had a decision like this, I'd take Ramsey and then look for a RB early in round 3. But for a team like Dallas that has lived and died with their running game the past few years, and who doesn't have a lot of time left with Tony Romo, going for Elliott makes a ton of sense to me.

kearly

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1ymonk96 said:
By the way, you would be shocked just how effective a good or great RB is at making an average defense look good.

Or a bad defense look average.

Remember, good run games keep the D off the field, let them rest and let them go full out on more downs because they don't have to worry about exhausting themselves.

One of the very best fixes for a defense is a solid run game.

I agree. Additionally, I think there is an intangible impact a good running back can have on the morale of the entire team. Remember how the coaches told us for years that Marshawn was the heart and soul of the entire football team? Not just the offense, the entire team. "Completing the circle of toughness" and all that. Pete Carroll firmly believed that Marshawn Lynch helped our defense play better by setting the tone for them, even as they stood on the sidelines and watched.

I think in a different kind of way, Seattle got a shot in the arm from Thomas Rawls last year. His energy and effort was infectious.

pehawk

Reaction score
Rods suffering from his own success like Cable. The thinking is Rod doesn't require much to assemble a serviceable defense. It'll take a substantial drop off, like Cable's 2015 OL, before Rod gets attention again.

On the pick, it's a great one. Only caveat being Linnehan. He's just a boob.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":84vwebpl said:
No reflection on you cuz you're an excellent poster, but why do you feel Elliot is a bad pick when by all accounts he's a better RB than DeMarco who ran for like 1600 behind that line?
"By all accounts" every top RB every year is better than some top NFL RBs.

Most of the time they don't live up to the cost of an early (or late) 1st.

The difference between 1st round RBs and 4th round RBs is maybe 20 yards/game.

RB is a position where you let some mid/late round picks and UDFAs fight for the spot, and the winner is often about as good (or even better) than any early pick.

It's not as bad as drafting a Kicker (and trading up to do so) but it is poor draft value.

The media is right that the cowboys should've taken Ramsey

kearly

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":igcv69g9 said:
Elliot's a great runner, but really, Napoleon Dynamite could crack a grand running behind that line. They have much greater needs than finding Emmitt Smiff 2.0.

Dallas looked like maybe the best team in the NFL when Murray was wrecking it in 2014.

RedAlice

Reaction score
I like Elliot for Dallas. And Ramsey for Jax - I want to watch them become good.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":3qo7av5k said:
Rods suffering from his own success like Cable. The thinking is Rod doesn't require much to assemble a serviceable defense. It'll take a substantial drop off, like Cable's 2015 OL, before Rod gets attention again.

On the pick, it's a great one. Only caveat being Linnehan. He's just a boob.
The day after the game we went to, which was notable because our OC called a lot of rub routes for the first time, Irvin was on the radio talking about how he wished the OC of the 'Boys would be more like Bevell, and call some rubs to help his backup QBs.

Of course, some of us had been calling for that here for half the year.

I liked that the pass happy Linnehan rode his RB in 2014. But he is a boob for running lots of slow developing play action with a fragile QB. Elliot should remove a lot of pressure from Romo, but Romo is now a candle. His injuries are beyond feared, they are expected. A good OC needs to ease that expectation with some short passing and creativity.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":6cs1hq47 said:
hawksfansinceday1":6cs1hq47 said:
No reflection on you cuz you're an excellent poster, but why do you feel Elliot is a bad pick when by all accounts he's a better RB than DeMarco who ran for like 1600 behind that line?
"By all accounts" every top RB every year is better than some top NFL RBs.

Most of the time they don't live up to the cost of an early (or late) 1st.

The difference between 1st round RBs and 4th round RBs is maybe 20 yards/game.

RB is a position where you let some mid/late round picks and UDFAs fight for the spot, and the winner is often about as good (or even better) than any early pick.

It's not as bad as drafting a Kicker (and trading up to do so) but it is poor draft value.

The media is right that the cowboys should've taken Ramsey
Disagree. I think Elliot has a very good chance to be special. Perhaps I should've put it that way. And like kearly talked about, a special back has a huge influence on the whole franchise.
But we agree that trading up in round 2 for a kicker is pretty much guffaw inducing.

el capitan

Reaction score
The problem is, having a "special" RB doesn't help you very much when you're getting scored on quicker than my sister.

Once they're down two TD's they'll be back to relying solely on Tony Romo, who tends to choke in those situations. I personally would've gone defense in the first two rounds and picked up RB in the 3rd. Let's face it if they lose Romo and Dez for any amount of time again this year their season is toast no matter how good the RB is, you can't make the playoffs with guys like Brandon Weedon at QB.

OP
OP
bigskydoc

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Even if he is a special RB, The only way I see this working out for Dallas is if they go to a high octane style offense ala 2014 Broncos. And we all know how well that worked out for Denver.

OP
OP
bigskydoc

bigskydoc

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3ur893ed said:
dopeboy206":3ur893ed said:
Elliot will make you eat crows

Save this

200w

You can serve it to me next year with my crow pie

I'd like a little garlic on my pie please

Admittedly, I'm still not convinced that this was the best pick for the Boys (Ramsey was there for the taking, and is looking like a strong candidate for DROY). We will have to see how they do in the playoffs. I still think their lack of defense is going to hurt them. Still, what a season for this kid. It's looking like I'm the kid in the GIF instead of Señor Jerrah.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1mdo5pfz said:
bigskydoc":1mdo5pfz said:
dopeboy206":1mdo5pfz said:

Save this

200w

Admittedly, I'm still not convinced that this was the best pick for the Boys (Ramsey was there for the taking, and is looking like a strong candidate for DROY). We will have to see how they do in the playoffs. I still think their lack of defense is going to hurt them. Still, what a season for this kid. It's looking like I'm the kid in the GIF instead of Señor Jerrah.
I think EE is overrated, still good, but I think you Doc could gain 1000 yards behind that O-line. With the big holes they create and the amount of holding they are allowed to get away with most RB's would be successful.

OP
OP
bigskydoc

bigskydoc

Reaction score
:irishdrinkers: :2thumbs:

I'm not sure I could gain 1000 if you spotted me 900. :les: :lol:

EE is still a pretty special runner, 1551 yards and at least 2 more games to go. That's a simply stunning number to me.

Demarco Murray looking awfully good with 1266 for Tennessee this year.

Cowboys seem to be pretty good at evaluating RB stock.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3tst9b4n said:
bigskydoc":3tst9b4n said:
bigskydoc":3tst9b4n said:
dopeboy206":3tst9b4n said:

Save this

200w

I think EE is overrated, still good, but I think you Doc could gain 1000 yards behind that O-line. With the big holes they create and the amount of holding they are allowed to get away with most RB's would be successful.
I agree with all of this..The holding is insane but a lot don't want or cannot see it..I want Kam to give him a soul hit