Harvin compensation: 6th round pick that can become a 4th

Rocket

Reaction score
BlueTalon":xpmw3b6f said:
Interesting. This conversation carried right on, just as if there wasn't a three month gap in it.

I believe this would be true of most posts.

olyfan63

Reaction score
xgeoff":2cu2k4wr said:
Mojambo":2cu2k4wr said:
You're underrating Okung and Irvin, both of whom have performed at 1st round levels (Irvin only recently), IMHO.

We're going to have to agree to disagree about that :) In the time we've been chatting I think we just had another false start penalty called on Okung ;)

And Mojambo will have to watch the now-healthy Okung more carefully and pay closer attention to realize he absolutely IS a 1st round performer. When healthy, Okung plays at a level that fully justifies his draft position. The issue is that Okung has been snakebit on health, partly on issues that are flukey and not his fault. Search the threads for the Trent Cole Philly fiasco in 2012 for a little more info on that.

Okung's rash of false starts pretty much all occurred when he was injured and trying to get that extra little jump to compensate.

Irvin has been a great first-round selection, but people were impatient with him. He's been developing, learning a new position a year for 2 years, and this year he's showing what he's learned at both spots. A great pick, now justifying his selection with his play on the field. And last year, Irvin was the spy on Kaepernick that made him decide to throw "the tip" instead of run. Kaep knew Irvin was the one LBer who absolutely could and would chase him down if he ran. So he threw. The rest is history. We maybe don't get to SB XLVIII last year without Irvin's presence on that play. KJ, even Wagner spying, Kaep runs, maybe for a first down on that play.

jkitsune

Reaction score
BlueTalon":1w8cw6gh said:
Interesting. This conversation carried right on, just as if there wasn't a three month gap in it.

(We need a zombie smiley.)

I'm just grateful that it wasn't bumped for the explicit purpose of making fun of something someone said 3 months ago.

12thbrah

Reaction score
We should hold on to Okung if we can. Quality left tackles don't fall off trees.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
jkitsune":3h11n9on said:
BlueTalon":3h11n9on said:

(We need a zombie smiley.)

I'm just grateful that it wasn't bumped for the explicit purpose of making fun of something someone said 3 months ago.

Are you sure it wasn't??? :16:

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
RunTheBall":22t1rto4 said:
HansGruber":22t1rto4 said:
yeah they fleeced us, and I've been saying it since the ink dried.

I was shocked when we went after another overrated slot guy when we've been burnt so many times on those. And Harvin was never worth that money, a fact I saw from day one.

once we had him, it was one of those deals where you just try to roll with it, but I was never sold on the guy. He was a bum from day one. as proven by his insistence on getting a session ending surgery that was unnecessary.

bum
Xavier Rhodes and Jerick McKinnon sure are game changers... and don't forget Travis Bond who isn't even in the league anymore! We sure got fleeced...

Wait what...Rhodes and Mckinnon are good...not ELITE but they are good. Mckinnon was the 3rd RB on the depth chart behind AP and Asiata and he came out of the season with 538 yards rushing and 135 yards receiving with a worse Oline/QB and WRs than the Seahawks have.

I thought Rhodes was immediately the best DB on the Vikings roster last year but for whatever reason Frazier was to stupid to play him. This year I thought he did a pretty good job on what was one of the worst defenses the year before.

Northhawk

Reaction score
Clearly, it was a bad decision but those who are suggesting it "cost" Red, Clem and Tate are off-base. Clem and Red are getting to an age where the cost/benefit may not have made sense. And Tate had an uneven performance that made signing him questionable for the $$ he signed in Detroit. But, even if you agree he was worth the $$$, there may have been chemistry issues with RW that would have made re-signing him difficult.

Chapow

Reaction score
xgeoff":1i2uxfyo said:
Mojambo":1i2uxfyo said:
You're underrating Okung and Irvin, both of whom have performed at 1st round levels (Irvin only recently), IMHO.

We're going to have to agree to disagree about that :) In the time we've been chatting I think we just had another false start penalty called on Okung ;)

Okung committed 6 false start penalties in 933 snaps played over the course of the entire 2014 regular season.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... ties/2014/

Now, is that good? No, of course not, but he's hardly the penalty machine that you are making him out to be.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The main issue with Okung is that he misses on average just over 1/4 of every season. Everybody gets hurt sometimes in the NFL but reliability and consistency are very important when it comes to the offensive line. The Front Office has a lot better information about his health going forwards than we do and so what they do with him should be viewed as a source of information rather than as a controversy.

IF they feel he cannot be counted on for more than 12 games then I don't think we will pay him - but we have no way of knowing whether that scenario is true. The doctors could very well feel that his injuries have been as much bad luck as anything else - they have occurred in different areas rather than re-injuring the same thing repeatedly and his biggest one was when Carpenter rolled up on him. We can speculate but we just don't have the information needed to hold a firm opinion about it.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
12thbrah":36gx4xf9 said:
We should hold on to Okung if we can. Quality left tackles don't fall off trees.
Don't jinx us! If any left tackle did fall out of a tree it would probably be big Russ...