Harvin compensation: 6th round pick that can become a 4th

ctrcat

Reaction score
The latest stats I found show the average 6th round pick playing in a little more than 32 games and starting 11 games in a career. On the bright side that's more than Percy gave the Hawks.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
ctrcat":2vljgvy1 said:
The latest stats I found show the average 6th round pick playing in a little more than 32 games and starting 11 games in a career. On the bright side that's more than Percy gave the Hawks.
Ouch (but funny/sad but true)

hawk45

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":27s7h7yd said:
lol unreal. Man did the Vikes fleece us.

Picture in my head of Vikes front office guys covering the phone with one hand, giggling, and giving each other looks of gleeful disbelief as the negotiation began to solidify toward 3 draft picks.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2yfm6z4m said:

Fleeced. All we got is a stupid Lombardi, a fulfilled lifelong dream and the memories to go along with it. And they got... wait, what did they get? :229031_confused2:

hawk45

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":34tg2lf0 said:
Hasselbeck":34tg2lf0 said:

Fleeced. All we got is a stupid Lombardi, a fulfilled lifelong dream and the memories to go along with it. And they got... wait, what did they get? :229031_confused2:

Right and Percy was the key to that Lombardi team going all the way. Wait...

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2ulgirc0 said:
Hasselbeck":2ulgirc0 said:

Let's be honest now. The trade for Harvin contributed more to lowering the probability of a potential dynasty (by giving up a First Round pick and $18 million and saddling the team with $9 million in dead money) than it did to winning the Lombardi.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
hawk45":3jg1p36b said:
Zebulon Dak":3jg1p36b said:
Hasselbeck":3jg1p36b said:

Right and Percy was the key to that Lombardi team going all the way. Wait...

It doesn't matter if he was the key. He was a piece. Would you trade our Lombardi to have Percy back? Or to never have made the trade to begin with? Didn't think so.

hawk45

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3nk7aijj said:
Zebulon Dak":3nk7aijj said:
Hasselbeck":3nk7aijj said:

Let's be honest now. The trade for Harvin contributed more to lowering the probability of a potential dynasty (by giving up a First Round pick and $18 million and saddling the team with $9 million in dead money) than it did to winning the Lombardi.

Red, Clem, Tate, it isn't a great stretch to posit that Harvin's $$$ were a factor in losing all of those guys.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
hawk45":34o2qxzg said:
hawknation2014":34o2qxzg said:
Zebulon Dak":34o2qxzg said:
Hasselbeck":34o2qxzg said:

Red, Clem, Tate, it isn't a great stretch to posit that Harvin's $$$ were a factor in losing all of those guys.

You guys are so negative.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
From what I read, yeah it's good he's off the team. If all tese rumors are true, which they seem to be coming out of the wood work, but a 6th is garbage.

hawk45

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":36n3rop3 said:
That's not negative. If we were talking Tate here then yeah we could say he helped greatly in getting to the dance and winning it all. That just does not hold any water with Harvin. So we gave up a lot for a little. That's just facing facts.

Are you seriously saying that you believe we do not win the Superbowl without Percy Harvin last year?

sekiuHAWK

Reaction score
hawknation2014":9st6vgn0 said:
In my experience, WRs are many times the most out-of-control players on a team.

Obviously, not all receivers are cancerous prima donnas whose inability to control their outbursts ends up hurting their careers. But that label does apply to many receivers-- at a seemingly higher rate than any other position.

Anyone care to speculate on why that is? Is it the "give me the ball more" mentality that they need to have to get to this level? Is it the inordinately hard hits to the head? (I'm joking . . . kind of.)

One of these WRs who is not a prima donna but wants a trade is Mr. Andre Johnson. I would love to have him on our team (mostly for his blocking ability)... I don't think this will happen as I think we are solid at WR. I wouldn't be shocked if this trade is followed up by another roster move or two though.... seems to be John's way.

bigwrm

Reaction score
Peter King reported compensation details on Twitter. Apparently the 6th becomes a 4th if Percy is still on the Jets next year.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
hawk45":3v4ffgrz said:
Zebulon Dak":3v4ffgrz said:
That's not negative. If we were talking Tate here then yeah we could say he helped greatly in getting to the dance and winning it all. That just does not hold any water with Harvin. So we gave up a lot for a little. That's just facing facts.

Are you seriously saying that you believe we do not win the Superbowl without Percy Harvin last year?

No, I'm saying we won it with him so looking at it any other way is fruitless and negative.

hawk45

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1qnorxte said:
hawk45":1qnorxte said:
Zebulon Dak":1qnorxte said:

No, I'm saying we won it with him so looking at it any other way is fruitless and negative.

Do you have difficulty distinguishing between correlation and causation?

If Percy being here did not *cause* us to win it, then we may well have won it anyhow yet retained pieces like Red, Clem, and Tate who in fact did *cause* us to win it. Looking at it that way is actually rational and productive in that the next time you are on the verge of such a trade you look back on this as a mistake and it informs future behavior.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
hawk45":1z8wu3l3 said:
Do you have difficulty distinguishing between correlation and causation?

Not at all. But it doesn't matter here. Whether somebody believes he was an important part of what happened or not doesn't change anything. He contributed some and that's not up for debate.

hawk45":1z8wu3l3 said:
If Percy being here did not *cause* us to win it, then we may well have won it anyhow yet retained pieces like Red, Clem, and Tate who in fact did *cause* us to win it. Looking at it that way is actually rational and productive in that the next time you are on the verge of such a trade you look back on this as a mistake and it informs future behavior.

Who? I don't make the trades. You don't make the trades. I originally didn't think they were going to bring Percy in (you can ask T-Sizzle and Wenhawk about that) but they did it. In hindsight would they do it again? Who knows. Maybe not. But this FO has shown they're willing to take a flyer on a guy and I don't think this is gonna change anything all that much. Seems to be a pretty extreme situation.