Has the Seattle media ever called for the firing of Bevell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3p921mxi said:
Concise and accurate post AdHawk.
Pete has been with Bev for 6 years now. That's over 100 games. Practices, team meetings, road trips. Do people really believe he doesn't know the talents he brings to the team and his desire to succeed? If he didn't meet Pete's standards, he'd be gone. On top of that, he has been tasked to incorporate Pete's vision of a low-risk, ball-control offense into a style of play that capitalizes on the freelancing and passionate play of Russ. He has done that with a multitude of success.

Bottom line is that Bev and Pete are a team, and for good reason. Same could be said for Kris Richard, Cable, Seto and the entire coaching staff. They work really well together and likely will be for the next 3 years.

I got that part but why is Bevell not the assistant head coach and Cable is. I wonder if it has added to some of the problems.

djb28

Reaction score
Rich Eisen touched on the topic today on his show. I couldn't find any links to it. It just aired today, so if you can dvr it or catch a replay do so.

He talked about how the fans are calling for Bevels head and the lack of offense, The bad O line. MOney spent everywhere except for O line. I didn't catch it all myself, I was flipping channels. But I will try to watch the replay. It is the first time I heard a talking head actually bring it up. So interesting this topic came up.

Ozzy

Reaction score
We have invested in the line though. Multiple first 2 day picks. They just haven't hit.

kobebryant

Reaction score
seabowl":3dra5ijk said:
kobebryant":3dra5ijk said:
I've heard and read critiques, but I haven't seen anyone out right call for his job. I think it's low grade to call for another man's employment - it's just a game and it isn't that serious. The level of decorum and respect amongst most Seattle media compared to that of the North East is something that I've grown to appreciate.

So you're more content with pretending everything is ok rather than speaking out about what is wrong and fixing what many perceive to be the Hawks most consistent issue for probably the last 4-5 years? Starting with the Percy debacle, then "the call", and consistent mind boggling play calling has many on his board, the team (players) and I'm sure the media pretty perplexed.

So as I said, why not bring it out in the open via articles and on the air? It's worthy of at least that IMO.

It's absolutely worthy of critique, every aspect of a pro sports team is.

I just don't see the point in calling for a man's job - 1) It's dirty pool 2) the implication can be there without saying it in those words 3) whenever someone in sports media calls for the job of a coach, gm, or player they come across as reactionary and far too self important.

Pete Carroll is far too strong with his convictions to let the media have any influence whatsoever in who he employs; just as Steinbrunner was too strong with his convictions to let someone like Francesa have any influence on any of his decisions.

You're putting sports media on far too high of a pedestal. They have absolutely zero influence on the decisions that Pete Carroll makes.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3l69ytt0 said:
Pete has been with Bev for 6 years now. That's over 100 games. Practices, team meetings, road trips. Do people really believe he doesn't know the talents he brings to the team and his desire to succeed? If he didn't meet Pete's standards, he'd be gone. On top of that, he has been tasked to incorporate Pete's vision of a low-risk, ball-control offense into a style of play that capitalizes on the freelancing and passionate play of Russ. He has done that with a multitude of success.

Bottom line is that Bev and Pete are a team, and for good reason. Same could be said for Kris Richard, Cable, Seto and the entire coaching staff. They work really well together and likely will be for the next 3 years.

It is obvious that you are a complete backer of Bevell. You seem to regularly defend him as if he was one of your family members. I'm guessing for one or numerous reasons. Maybe,,first you love what PC has given us and whatever coach he hires you trust. Or second, how can you argue with the overall production of the offense. Yes it looks ugly at times but we win with it. Could be, third, maybe you do not care much for Bevell but you cannot stand the hate and overreaction at him so it inclines you to defend him just for the sake of defending him against the irrational reactions at this forum.

I get all this but PC was a believer in Gus Bradley as well, supported him highly. I am also thankful that he was hired somewhere else. Not because I did not like him but if he wasn't, we would not have had Dan Quinn at DC. While both were PC selections and he was loyal to both, Quinn was a far better DC than Bradley. Gus was also in no danger of being fired either. I miss Quinn, not because I dislike Richard but I prefer Quinn and despite not having Quinn's superior defense, I'm sure PC still backs Richard.

I don't hate Bevell but I dislike his play calling strategy. It is odd and often head scratching on numerous occasions. I find it frustrating and find many other teams without this dilemma. This is the most inconsistent offense of the past four seasons. I think we can do better and would quite rather not hit rock bottom before a change is made.

Bevell lost any support I had for him after SB XLIX. Not because of the last play call but while every other coach and player was taking responsibility for the loss,,,,Bevell blamed Russell Wilson. Maybe it was RW's fault but that was a dick move and an attempt to cover Bevell's own ass.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1n3b5bz5 said:
Maybe the media just aren't like a bunch of cry babies on an internet chat forum?
That's a good one. Pray tell, what are media people in general? Perhaps good, altruistic people with high journalistic integrity that have our best interests at heart? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Believe it or not, a Hollywood star has something to teach you about the media, English:

https://www.facebook.com/BigBoi/videos/ ... f=NEWSFEED

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2phhqemo said:
That's a good one. Pray tell, what are media people in general? Perhaps good, altruistic people with high journalistic integrity that have our best interests at heart?

Whoever they are, I'm sure our simple generalizations will accurately reflect all of them.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2357kog0 said:
Siouxhawk":2357kog0 said:

It is obvious that you are a complete backer of Bevell. You seem to regularly defend him as if he was one of your family members. I'm guessing for one or numerous reasons. Maybe,,first you love what PC has given us and whatever coach he hires you trust. Or second, how can you argue with the overall production of the offense. Yes it looks ugly at times but we win with it. Could be, third, maybe you do not care much for Bevell but you cannot stand the hate and overreaction at him so it inclines you to defend him just for the sake of defending him against the irrational reactions at this forum.

I get all this but PC was a believer in Gus Bradley as well, supported him highly. I am also thankful that he was hired somewhere else. Not because I did not like him but if he wasn't, we would not have had Dan Quinn at DC. While both were PC selections and he was loyal to both, Quinn was a far better DC than Bradley. Gus was also in no danger of being fired either. I miss Quinn, not because I dislike Richard but I prefer Quinn and despite not having Quinn's superior defense, I'm sure PC still backs Richard.

I don't hate Bevell but I dislike his play calling strategy. It is odd and often head scratching on numerous occasions. I find it frustrating and find many other teams without this dilemma. This is the most inconsistent offense of the past four seasons. I think we can do better and would quite rather not hit rock bottom before a change is made.

Bevell lost any support I had for him after SB XLIX. Not because of the last play call but while every other coach and player was taking responsibility for the loss,,,,Bevell blamed Russell Wilson. Maybe it was RW's fault but that was a dick move and an attempt to cover Bevell's own ass.

Whoooaaa there buddy. You started this post very congenially and I appreciate that, but I gotta tell you to cross check your facts on him blaming Russ in 49. Never, ever did that happen. In fact, he never blamed a soul. He didn't need to. He said WE should have gone a little harder to the ball in answering a reporter's question about the play, but that was it.

To answer your earlier question, suffice it to say I really dig Seahawk football and believe without a doubt that Bevell is the perfect fit to pull together the talent we have on offense, coach them up and gameplan to get the most out of them against certain defenses weaknesses and strengths. Take a year like this. Frustrations aplenty with the line and a rash of injuries, most prominently to our quarterback. Yet here we are 9-4-1 and on course to get the No. 2 seed and opening bye in the playoffs. A less secure coaching staff may have crumbled, but Bevell and his assistants had the wherewithal to keep the wheels on the rails by posting wins over the likes of Buffalo, New England and Philadelphia in a pivotal stretch.

I'm also a big believer of continuity. And on a team like the Seahawks, which breeds off of intense emotion, I see that being extra important. They are a family. Excuse the weird analogy, but like when Michael was coming of age in the Jackson5 and blossoming into his talents, it's an extrapolated comparison, but it's also how I see Russell. He came in as a burgeoning talent full of desire and Bevell ... and of course Pete ... have served as his mentors. In his fifth year, he is still being tutored on such things as calling pass protection and reading defensive keys to possibly check into an audible. This year he had to learn self preservation skills since his mobility was greatly reduced. There were definitely some speed bumps there, but we got through it and are in good shape and getting better. The constant was his OC.

So yeah, I see Bevell as more a part of the solution than any kind of problem. He's a member of the Seahawk family who has been there in good times and bad. But fortunately more good. So for that reason, I strongly believe that Pete knows best and his hand-picked staff provides the best direction in collecting another Lombardi.

Thanks for asking. And it's ok for you to have reservations. I guess I would just wonder what your expectations are?

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Bevell is far from perfect but he's probably around the league average among OCs. I'm not against firing him but only if there is an upgrade available.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Seattle sports media is simply milk toast. They collectively lack the guts to ever really grill Carroll or any of the coaches about anything. There's a sense of they're all just happy to be able discuss/write about a winning team that they seem to let things slide and place Carroll on a pedestal.

The press conferences are a joke-softball question after softball mixed with open ended, answer any way you like type questions. So no matter how the offense performs or how far we do or don't advance in the playoffs, don't expect any calls for firing anyone from this market. It would indeed be different in the northeast.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3fh831iw said:
Seattle sports media is simply milk toast. They collectively lack the guts to ever really grill Carroll or any of the coaches about anything. There's a sense of they're all just happy to be able discuss/write about a winning team that they seem to let things slide and place Carroll on a pedestal.

The press conferences are a joke-softball question after softball mixed with open ended, answer any way you like type questions. So no matter how the offense performs or how far we do or don't advance in the playoffs, don't expect any calls for firing anyone from this market. It would indeed be different in the northeast.
They don't call them out because it would be irresponsible journalism. Most fans trust their eyes and better judgement that the Hawks are in the most successful era in franchise history, so if papers want to sell subscriptions or web sites want clicks and hits, they'll go with daily reports and features that inform and entertain. I think what you seem to be looking for could be found on TMZ though.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":243ex2hq said:
Whoever they are, I'm sure our simple generalizations will accurately reflect all of them.
So to respond in kind - generalizations can never be accurate for a majority group, yeah?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1ns5et09 said:
seahawkfreak":1ns5et09 said:
Siouxhawk":1ns5et09 said:

Whoooaaa there buddy. You started this post very congenially and I appreciate that, but I gotta tell you to cross check your facts on him blaming Russ in 49. Never, ever did that happen. In fact, he never blamed a soul. He didn't need to. He said WE should have gone a little harder to the ball in answering a reporter's question about the play, but that was it.

To answer your earlier question, suffice it to say I really dig Seahawk football and believe without a doubt that Bevell is the perfect fit to pull together the talent we have on offense, coach them up and gameplan to get the most out of them against certain defenses weaknesses and strengths. Take a year like this. Frustrations aplenty with the line and a rash of injuries, most prominently to our quarterback. Yet here we are 9-4-1 and on course to get the No. 2 seed and opening bye in the playoffs. A less secure coaching staff may have crumbled, but Bevell and his assistants had the wherewithal to keep the wheels on the rails by posting wins over the likes of Buffalo, New England and Philadelphia in a pivotal stretch.

I'm also a big believer of continuity. And on a team like the Seahawks, which breeds off of intense emotion, I see that being extra important. They are a family. Excuse the weird analogy, but like when Michael was coming of age in the Jackson5 and blossoming into his talents, it's an extrapolated comparison, but it's also how I see Russell. He came in as a burgeoning talent full of desire and Bevell ... and of course Pete ... have served as his mentors. In his fifth year, he is still being tutored on such things as calling pass protection and reading defensive keys to possibly check into an audible. This year he had to learn self preservation skills since his mobility was greatly reduced. There were definitely some speed bumps there, but we got through it and are in good shape and getting better. The constant was his OC.

So yeah, I see Bevell as more a part of the solution than any kind of problem. He's a member of the Seahawk family who has been there in good times and bad. But fortunately more good. So for that reason, I strongly believe that Pete knows best and his hand-picked staff provides the best direction in collecting another Lombardi.

Thanks for asking. And it's ok for you to have reservations. I guess I would just wonder what your expectations are?

Appreciate your awesome response. You are right, I thought Bevell blamed Wilson and he did not. He thought Lockette should have went Harder to the ball not WE [urltargetblank]http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2/2/7961801/darrell-bevell-ricardo-lockette-super-bowl-russell-wilson-interception-playcall[/urltargetblank]. Still thought it was shitty but not really interested. Appreciate your well written response and will not sneer as much to your Bevell defenses, Lol.

I do not think we are that off in lines of thinking. To be honest, if the .net bashed Kris Richard as much as they did Bevell I would probably be in your same perspective. Thanks much.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3uavhfmj said:
BirdsCommaAngry":3uavhfmj said:
So to respond in kind - generalizations can never be accurate for a majority group, yeah?

The best answer I can currently think of in the form of a generalization about generalizations, which is what you're asking for, would be... generalizations can be partially accurate for parts of a majority group. Basically, it's your current view on generalizations with more skepticism.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2whol6ht said:
West TX Hawk":2whol6ht said:

They don't call them out because it would be irresponsible journalism. Most fans trust their eyes and better judgement that the Hawks are in the most successful era in franchise history, so if papers want to sell subscriptions or web sites want clicks and hits, they'll go with daily reports and features that inform and entertain. I think what you seem to be looking for could be found on TMZ though.

Bevell has been called out publicly by 3 of the players on the team and two of which are on offense:

Lynch (finger)
Baldwin (finger)
Sherman (yelling at him)

This is unprecedented. IMO there are no other closer sources to critique him then the players on the team. It would be VERY interesting if they polled the players as to their thoughts on Bevell. If you havent guessed already I am siding with the three star players above.

justafan

Reaction score
seabowl":24iogby0 said:
kobebryant":24iogby0 said:
I've heard and read critiques, but I haven't seen anyone out right call for his job. I think it's low grade to call for another man's employment - it's just a game and it isn't that serious. The level of decorum and respect amongst most Seattle media compared to that of the North East is something that I've grown to appreciate.

So you're more content with pretending everything is ok rather than speaking out about what is wrong and fixing what many perceive to be the Hawks most consistent issue for probably the last 4-5 years? Starting with the Percy debacle, then "the call", and consistent mind boggling play calling has many on his board, the team (players) and I'm sure the media pretty perplexed.

So as I said, why not bring it out in the open via articles and on the air? It's worthy of at least that IMO.

There are only 4 or 5 guys in the media who have actually played or coached the game at that level who really know football in the Seattle media.

I dont really want to hear someone like Dick Vein or Mitch breaking down the coaching staff because they really dont know football well enough to really know the problem.Very few people do.Almost nobody outside the circle does.

If you look at Romar and break down why he is losing, it really doesnt matter.He is losing.Next up.But the Hawks arent losing.We just won the division again.

If we are losing then bring out the pitch forks.

Largent80

Reaction score
Maybe the media is smarter than a lot of the fans and actually appreciate everything our coaches have given us.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2konpjfp said:
Siouxhawk":2konpjfp said:
seahawkfreak":2konpjfp said:
Siouxhawk":2konpjfp said:

Appreciate your awesome response. You are right, I thought Bevell blamed Wilson and he did not. He thought Lockette should have went Harder to the ball not WE [urltargetblank]http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/2/2/7961801/darrell-bevell-ricardo-lockette-super-bowl-russell-wilson-interception-playcall[/urltargetblank]. Still thought it was shitty but not really interested. Appreciate your well written response and will not sneer as much to your Bevell defenses, Lol.

I do not think we are that off in lines of thinking. To be honest, if the .net bashed Kris Richard as much as they did Bevell I would probably be in your same perspective. Thanks much.
Condotta paraphrased in his tweet. Scroll below that and you will actually see the direct quote from Bevell which does start: "We could ..."
I too was a big fan of Quinn and probably originally would have preferred Norton to Richard, but I now understand that decision and have grown into it.
Enjoyed the discussion, freak

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Largent80":35sq9xb0 said:
Maybe the media is smarter than a lot of the fans and actually appreciate everything our coaches have given us.
First of all, that's a good one, Largent. Second of all, it's not even a valid insinuation. If the results of a group are good, there's no arguing that part of it may not be good? In essence, nothing can ever succeed in spite of a flaw?

Fantastic logic. :)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
seabowl":3q1k927w said:
Siouxhawk":3q1k927w said:
West TX Hawk":3q1k927w said:

Bevell has been called out publicly by 3 of the players on the team and two of which are on offense:

Lynch (finger)
Baldwin (finger)
Sherman (yelling at him)

This is unprecedented. IMO there are no other closer sources to critique him then the players on the team. It would be VERY interesting if they polled the players as to their thoughts on Bevell. If you havent guessed already I am siding with the three star players above.
Was going to post this very thing. :2thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts