Has the Seattle media ever called for the firing of Bevell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":217n0i8n said:
Largent80":217n0i8n said:
Maybe the media is smarter than a lot of the fans and actually appreciate everything our coaches have given us.
First of all, that's a good one, Largent. Second of all, it's not even a valid insinuation. If the results of a group are good, there's no arguing that part of it may not be good? In essence, nothing can ever succeed in spite of a flaw?

Fantastic logic. :)
BINGO!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
seabowl":ikf8dwuz said:
Living in NY the media here is relentless when dealing with sports figures that are not getting the job done. Has anyone seen someone from the Seattle media write an article or say on the air their real displeasure with Bevell and call for his departure? Again living in NY this would have been done years ago and I don't think there would be any way he or the team could weather the storm that the NY media and fans would put on the situation. Thank you.
The media may go easy at times, but they don't have delusions of grandeur either.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
seabowl":1qfh9bzp said:
So you're more content with pretending everything is ok rather than speaking out about what is wrong and fixing what many perceive to be the Hawks most consistent issue for probably the last 4-5 years? Starting with the Percy debacle, then "the call", and consistent mind boggling play calling has many on his board, the team (players) and I'm sure the media pretty perplexed.

So Percy was Bevell's fault? Seriously?

And...I haven't seen anyone actually come out and say WHICH play calls they dislike. There's been zero analysis around here, except from one person, as to HOW exactly Bevell is failing the last two years. Personally, I think he's improved tremendously.

I think it's a lot likelier that fans are latching onto Bevell as the problem because he's much more painless to replace than Russell Wilson. An OC? We can swap that out. A quarterback? "Don't even suggest to me that he might be the problem. I just don't want to deal with that possibility."

I think that's why our local media doesn't crucify Bevell. They're actually self-aware.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3dg2wby7 said:
Concise and accurate post AdHawk.
Pete has been with Bev for 6 years now. That's over 100 games. Practices, team meetings, road trips. Do people really believe he doesn't know the talents he brings to the team and his desire to succeed? If he didn't meet Pete's standards, he'd be gone. On top of that, he has been tasked to incorporate Pete's vision of a low-risk, ball-control offense into a style of play that capitalizes on the freelancing and passionate play of Russ. He has done that with a multitude of success.

Bottom line is that Bev and Pete are a team, and for good reason. Same could be said for Kris Richard, Cable, Seto and the entire coaching staff. They work really well together and likely will be for the next 3 years.
I sorta wonder about that sometimes. Pete is quick to release an underperforming player, but hasn't let a coach go for years. I think he knows Bev's weasknesses well, but there is a comfort level he doesn't want to part with.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":alj36fix said:
seabowl":alj36fix said:
So you're more content with pretending everything is ok rather than speaking out about what is wrong and fixing what many perceive to be the Hawks most consistent issue for probably the last 4-5 years? Starting with the Percy debacle, then "the call", and consistent mind boggling play calling has many on his board, the team (players) and I'm sure the media pretty perplexed.

And...I haven't seen anyone actually come out and say WHICH play calls they dislike. There's been zero analysis around here, except from one person, as to HOW exactly Bevell is failing the last two years. Personally, I think he's improved tremendously.

I think it's a lot likelier that fans are latching onto Bevell as the problem because he's much more painless to replace than Russell Wilson. An OC? We can swap that out. A quarterback? "Don't even suggest to me that he might be the problem. I just don't want to deal with that possibility."

I think that's why our local media doesn't crucify Bevell. They're actually self-aware.
So you are suggesting Wilson is our problem. Your go to whenever the OL is stinking it up. Beautiful.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3qhp0g4k said:
MontanaHawk05":3qhp0g4k said:
seabowl":3qhp0g4k said:

So you are suggesting Wilson is our problem. Your go to whenever the OL is stinking it up. Beautiful.

They are both problems at times, as is our O-line fairly consistently (see Cable, too, then, right?). This combination makes it rough to gauge exactly where the biggest "fault" lies, for those who look to cast constant blame on something or someone for the Hawks not measuring up to their standards. But Pete has also chosen to spend far less on the O-line than on D, which is his philosophy. Eventually people here will see that it's Pete's system, ultimately. He has nearly total control.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":9sd0edz2 said:

Some of us (am I blushing?) did get into somewhat in-depth technical analysis of Bevell's faults from our points of view and got tired of it and gave up all before two years ago.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":5ukpfstn said:
MontanaHawk05":5ukpfstn said:

Some of us (am I blushing?) did get into somewhat in-depth technical analysis of Bevell's faults from our points of view and got tired of it and gave up all before two years ago.

And I'm not saying he's never at fault - I certainly had bigger problems with him before the bye last year. But ever since we switched to a quick-timing offense that helped protect Wilson, Bevell has rarely been an issue.

The "throwing on the goalline" issue? Last I checked, everyone WANTED Jimmy Graham targeted in the red zone. Make up your minds.

irocdave

Reaction score
After reading all the banter back and forth in this thread, I came away thinking about Pete's philosophy about churning the roster and continually looking for the best player. He doesn't do the same with coaches. Maybe Hugh Millen can ask him about that, Pete seems to settle on a coach and they stay in place until they get hired by some one else. Shouldn't coaches on the staff fall under the same protocol? If this season ends the way it looks like it's going to, both coordinators should be looking for a job.

OpHawk

Reaction score
irocdave":3516dhu2 said:
After reading all the banter back and forth in this thread, I came away thinking about Pete's philosophy about churning the roster and continually looking for the best player. He doesn't do the same with coaches. Maybe Hugh Millen can ask him about that, Pete seems to settle on a coach and they stay in place until they get hired by some one else. Shouldn't coaches on the staff fall under the same protocol? If this season ends the way it looks like it's going to, both coordinators should be looking for a job.

That's a great point. Doesn't seem to be much "competition" among coaching positions.

Joyodongo

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":26hb0o53 said:
Seattle sports media is simply milk toast. They collectively lack the guts to ever really grill Carroll or any of the coaches about anything. There's a sense of they're all just happy to be able discuss/write about a winning team that they seem to let things slide and place Carroll on a pedestal.

The press conferences are a joke-softball question after softball mixed with open ended, answer any way you like type questions. So no matter how the offense performs or how far we do or don't advance in the playoffs, don't expect any calls for firing anyone from this market. It would indeed be different in the northeast.

:ditto:

Basis4day

Reaction score
irocdave":169bbc3g said:
If this season ends the way it looks like it's going to, both coordinators should be looking for a job.

You mean with a playoff birth?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Getting back on topic, the Seattle sports media has always been very passive, and weak.
I love the guy as a player but I've heard some less than flattering story's about Ken Griffey Junior and some of his behaviors towards people, and if the Seattle press reported on them that reporter and their employer would have his access pulled by the Mariners.

If you don't think the Hawks have and use that type of leverage at times you are wrong.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
You mean Ken Griffey Jr., .who is a Hall of Famer?! What have you heard?

justafan

Reaction score
So now we want local media to write articles ragging on the coaches that helped bring us the Golden age of football in Seattle.They are milk toast for not agreeing with people wanting to fire people every time we lose.Maybe Prisco can just write a weekly column on Seattle football.

McGruff

Reaction score
irocdave":bq3cslie said:

First of, that's not true . . . http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/seat ... tes-011811

See, Pete Carroll has fire coaches before. When they fail at their job, he fires them. The simple fact is that Bevell has not failed. At least that is Petes opinion to this point. And it's hard to argue with that opinion given the results on the field and in the record book.

But I wonder, what does always compete mean for a coordinator. Bring in two of them this offseason, let them both have a whack at it, and see who does best? Coaches aren't like players. They aren't graded in relation to each other. They are asked to do are job, and if they do it well, they keep the job. Darrell has, over time, done his job well. Sure, there a bad days and bad stretches, but when measured over time, the results have been positive.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Both the Seattle Times and the Tacoma Tribune, in their coverage of Sherm's reaction to the 1st and goal play call from Bevell, were deeply critical - of Sherm.

In the Times it was the most-read article, for two days running.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Jayburd14":2akkx3rh said:
In my mind Darrell Bevell is to the Seahawks, what Bill Buckner is to the Red Sox. The reason you don't here the grumblings from the media has more to do with the laid back culture on the west coast as compared to the east coast.

Don't see the comparison at all.
The red sox at the time hadn't won in 68 years.
Seattle won 12 months earlier.
That's a bit overdone.

Yes the malcolm Butler INT hurt me as a fan, but not nearly as much as "we're gonna win, and we're gonna score." As that play was just another link of a chain resulting in no championships

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Basis4day":45x8y4ng said:
irocdave":45x8y4ng said:
If this season ends the way it looks like it's going to, both coordinators should be looking for a job.

You mean with a playoff birth?

Holy moly, perspective is lost on so many people here.

Wrapping up a division title with two games left and set to grab the #2 seed with a bye week. OMG THE HUMANITY!! WHY GOD WHY!!!!

BigBill1945

Reaction score
Amazing. Nobody seemed to mind when this same crew including Bevell were on staff when we won the superbowl in 2013. I did not see anyone ask him to be fired then. Get real. We have a sh*t offensive line. It has been the problem all season long. Russell has been rushed and sacked more than ever. Our receivers have not gotten much separation either. Bevell does not block for Russell. The offensive line will be the downfall of us if we do not make it to the superbowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts