Hawks expected to sign Geno Smith

AgentDib

Reaction score
Taryn Christion has been waived so we need a third QB for camp at the least. UDFA QBs take note that you should probably practice taking snaps under center before you show up to an NFL team.

chris98251

Reaction score
They were saying the guys they had were having trouble getting a snap from under Center, this is a camp arm that can take a snap and get reps and compete with Lynch, he was in San Diego I guess last year.

knownone

Reaction score
chris98251":1zwp4wxg said:
They were saying the guys they had were having trouble getting a snap from under Center, this is a camp arm that can take a snap and get reps and compete with Lynch, he was in San Diego I guess last year.
Was Lynch one of the guys having issues? That seems like a big issue for a potential back up QB in this system.

Geno reminds me of a less mentally tough version of Tarvaris Jackson. It wouldn't be a shock if he ended up beating out Lynch. I mean, are we sure Lynch is the favorite to be the backup? Geno's had a better bad career, and he's somehow more proven than Lynch at this point.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'm actually quote curious to see how this competition works out.

Rat

Reaction score
I liked Geno a lot coming out of WVU. I was wrong on him, but I still like the signing. Lynch hasn't shown the drive or maturity to be simply handed the backup job.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
We finally have our starter! I see good things happening. Russ will be a great mentor from the sideline. As that panther fan once said...the torch has been passed.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He’s a capable backup level QB, there are others better but if his price is right he can’t be worse than Lynch.

Time will tell.

Seymour

Reaction score
HawkGA":1wi5slwe said:
I'm actually quote curious to see how this competition works out.

Me too. That is why I quoted you! :lol:

Hopefully Schnieder throws Geno the "knockout punch" contract and we "land" a decent backup. :mrgreen:

HawkGA

Reaction score
chris98251":1u09uj8a said:

Depends on what you mean by camp arm. When I hear camp arm, I think of somebody there to basically throw the ball so the main QBs don't get tired out. I don't see Geno like that at all. I think he is there for a legitimate shot at the backup QB spot. I mean, just taking the bird's eye view of a fan, I don't see any reason why the order wouldn't start out as Wilson-Smith-Lynch versus Wilson-Lynch-Smith.

sutz

Reaction score
HawkGA":2zrong83 said:
chris98251":2zrong83 said:

Depends on what you mean by camp arm. When I hear camp arm, I think of somebody there to basically throw the ball so the main QBs don't get tired out. I don't see Geno like that at all. I think he is there for a legitimate shot at the backup QB spot. I mean, just taking the bird's eye view of a fan, I don't see any reason why the order wouldn't start out as Wilson-Smith-Lynch versus Wilson-Lynch-Smith.
This is still Pete's team. We don't need a "camp arm" anywhere as near as much as one of the WCO teams, or those that chuck it 65 times a game. Holmy always needed 4 QBs in camp to avoid the tired arm problem. I don't see us as needing more than 2-3. IMO this is a competition for the #2 QB slot. We might keep one on the PS, too.

chris98251

Reaction score
sutz":227odmvl said:
HawkGA":227odmvl said:
chris98251":227odmvl said:

This is still Pete's team. We don't need a "camp arm" anywhere as near as much as one of the WCO teams, or those that chuck it 65 times a game. Holmy always needed 4 QBs in camp to avoid the tired arm problem. I don't see us as needing more than 2-3. IMO this is a competition for the #2 QB slot. We might keep one on the PS, too.

Neither of them are eligible I am pretty sure. and Camp arm with the amount of WR's we brought in for reps is still valid, sure it's also a competition for the back up spot as well. I expect another QB to be added for the PS at some point.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Alright everybody. Before we get to see any minicamp or training camp, make your pick. Who will the back-up be?

I'm really torn. I want to go with Smith because I suspect he's a better fit (athletically) to Russ than Lynch is (not that I really know much about him, but Lynch seems quite the opposite than Russ). Smith also has more experience, which works for him in a sense. But at the same time I think it works against him. He's much more of a known quantity. Lynch gets the benefit of still having "potential".

So, all that said, I'm putting my *money* on Smith.

Largent80

Reaction score
Jeez. We are confronted with 2 levels of suckitude.

Who sucks less?...Nobody knows. Both have achieved levels of suck that put them into this position.

They have to fight out the who is worst of the worst.

I can't pick a winner.