Hawks expected to sign Geno Smith

Jville

Reaction score
The similar arm length of Geno Smith at 34.38 inches and Paxton Lynch at 34 1/4 inches contrasts with that of Russell Wilson at 31 inch arm length. Wilson is closer to Kyler Murray's 28.4 inch arm length.

I'm curious about the throwing accuracy we will see from these competitors in the preseason. Since some of these quarterbacks also excelled at baseball, the length of Paxton Lynch brings back memories of the career of Randy Johnson at a time of a controversy as to whether the "Big Unit" was too big to get all his length sufficiently under control to throw with consistent precision. At the time, the Kansas City Royals were cited as an organization who preferred the throwing accuracy of 5'-9" .... 5'-10" pitchers. Randy did go on to throw a ton of pitches and eventually throw with consistent precision. But, he is among the exceptions. In the early years, shorter frames continue to have an edge in throwing with precision.

It will be entertaining to see how quickly these quarterbacks zero in on passing accuracy. I'm anticipating Kyler Murray will show good accuracy early on in games in his first season. I expect to see the young and long Paxton Lynch struggle the most until he builds up his cumulative throws.

This is going to be an entertaining year at quarterback. It is almost as if this year's back up priority might be for a long enemy quarterback to challenge the defense by using length to deliver quick opening passes designed to negate a pass rush. We'll see.