Hawks expected to sign Geno Smith

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Geno officially signed as per Seahawks app.

SUPER BOWL!!! :sarcasm_off:

Seymour

Reaction score
Aros":27jumuc7 said:
Geno officially signed as per Seahawks app.

SUPER BOWL!!! :sarcasm_off:

Only things I care about is A) How is his penmanship? and B) I hope he likes tail over head. :mrgreen: :irishdrinkers:

Largent80

Reaction score
Gawd please, keep RW healthy. These tools are like the last ones you grab from your tool chest when doing projects.

Hyak

Reaction score
The Seahawks are toast if Wilson goes down, just like for the past 5 or 6 years.

D

DomeHawk

This just follows the Seahawk's motto of "Always Compete" and will give Paxton Lynch some much needed competition. Lynch came into the league a 1st rounder and now, in his third season, has to prove that he can at least be a NFL backup.

chris98251

Reaction score
DomeHawk":4g7ndnwu said:
This just follows the Seahawk's motto of "Always Compete" and will give Paxton Lynch some much needed competition. Lynch came into the league a 1st rounder and now, in his third season, has to prove that he can at least be a NFL backup.

Smith was a second rounder some thought should have went in the first, Wilson a 3rd Rounder that today would be a first.

I think Smith can play in our system much more readily then Lynch due to his ability to move and more mobile.

I kind of look at Lynch as Dan McGwire or Osweiller.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Kind of funny that the Cardinals stole Brett Hundley away to back up the imitation (wannabe) RW3 by way of the #1 pick in the draft. Hundley made 705K in 2018, Arizona signed him to a one year deal for just a bit less than $2M. Wake me up when the Cardinals reach double digit wins. Geno Smith made 1M with the Chargers in 18', although three years older than Hundley I see them as fairly comparable in size, experience & talent level. Hopefully Paxton Lynch or another QB to be signed later will make it a true competition.
100th post... bend the knee chickdogs :lol:

olyfan63

Reaction score
chris98251":36mdfgnu said:
DomeHawk":36mdfgnu said:
T
I think Smith can play in our system much more readily then Lynch due to his ability to move and more mobile.

Actually Paxton Lynch is surprisingly mobile and a much better runner than one would expect, based on his college and limited pro highlights. I was surprised, because I also assumed he'd be a Dan McGwire type of stiff also, as a tall guy. Or have you watched his tape and still concluded he's am immobile stiff?

chris98251

Reaction score
olyfan63":1fx9xxd4 said:
chris98251":1fx9xxd4 said:
DomeHawk":1fx9xxd4 said:
T

Actually Paxton Lynch is surprisingly mobile and a much better runner than one would expect, based on his college and limited pro highlights. I was surprised, because I also assumed he'd be a Dan McGwire type of stiff also, as a tall guy. Or have you watched his tape and still concluded he's am immobile stiff?

I stand corrected, I may have been seeing Ossweiller footage and crossing them up, went on youtube and watched his highlights and draft work out and yes much more mobile then I though he would be.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Paxton Lynch had a Wonderlic score of 18, while Geno Smith had a 24. Russell Wilson's was 28.
Paxton Lynch might not be smart enough to run this offense. A guy with a much higher Wonderlic (my guess), John Elway, moved on from Lynch.

It will be interesting to see how the backup QB competition goes. If Wonderlic scores are any predictor (within a relevant range of athletic ability) then we can expect to see Geno Smith as our backup QB. Honestly, it's alarming to see Lynch to have such a low score.

Malik McDowell's Wonderlic? 15. Maybe when John Schneider talked about the 'Hawks changing their minimum requirements for drafting players, this is one of the factors.

In other news, .NET will soon require all posters to include their Wonderlic in their sig.
Kidding!! About that part, anyway. the Wonderlic scores I supplied are accurate.

chris98251

Reaction score
olyfan63":3nswwoc7 said:
Paxton Lynch had a Wonderlic score of 18, while Geno Smith had a 24. Russell Wilson's was 28.
Paxton Lynch might not be smart enough to run this offense. A guy with a much higher Wonderlic (my guess), John Elway, moved on from Lynch.

It will be interesting to see how the backup QB competition goes. If Wonderlic scores are any predictor (within a relevant range of athletic ability) then we can expect to see Geno Smith as our backup QB. Honestly, it's alarming to see Lynch to have such a low score.

Malik McDowell's Wonderlic? 15. Maybe when John Schneider talked about the 'Hawks changing their minimum requirements for drafting players, this is one of the factors.

In other news, .NET will soon require all posters to include their Wonderlic in their sig.
Kidding!! About that part, anyway. the Wonderlic scores I supplied are accurate.

If I remember correctly Dan Marinos was 16...………..

olyfan63

Reaction score
OK, Geno Smith's decent Wonderlic of 24 notwithstanding, I hope he is a LOT smarter than when he did this:
https://newrepublic.com/article/122531/ ... broken-jaw
Yes, he got punched over a $600 debt he owed to a teammate. Stupid. Pay the man $600 even if you have quibbles with the validity of the debt. You're the freakin' QB of the team, making way more bank than this backup DE.
Yes, this backup DE, IK Enemkpali, is a dumb hothead for punching his QB. While I don't approve of his choices, it sure seems like GSmith had it coming.

Can you imagine Russell Wilson stiffing a teammate on a $600 debt, even when on his rookie contract, and even when he had some quibbles with it? Hell NO!! Russell would *take responsibility*, and not only cough up the cash, but also *apologize* to his teammate over the whole situation, where he didn't show up at his friend's football camp like he promised, AND he would find some other way to make it right. Russell has always understood that as the leader, it's his responsibility to set an example.

olyfan63

Reaction score
chris98251":10kkpp9r said:
If I remember correctly Dan Marinos was 16...………..

Yeah, that's what's on record for Marino... 16.
Jim Kelly also had a similar score, by all accounts. I didn't ever find the story behind Marino's 16 score. Obviously, both he and Jim Kelly were very smart, articulate team leaders and NFL HOF QBs.

More recently, I do know that DB Morris Claiborne was subjected to ridicule for a score of 4 (or was it 6), and learning disabilities were involved. My girlfriend is dyslexic, and taking college classes now, and I've concluded that her dyslexia costs her a FULL LETTER GRADE LOWER in each class, and that grades tend to measure her disability more than her ability and effort. With accommodations for her disability, such as being able to have online learning systems and tests that support the fonts Open Dyslexic or Dyslexie font, she does much better. Also, she needs extra time on tests, like on math tests, to do the entire test TWICE, and if the answers differ, find out where she flipped numbers in the transcribing process. Also, Frank Gore scored unusually low, and we've seen him shred the Seahawk defense numerous times over the years.

I can tell you that the dyslexic-friendly fonts make a huge positive difference for my household's sample size of one. If you have dyslexic reader/learner in your life, and they don't know about these fonts, here are some resources to start with.
For information on dyslexic-friendly fonts, see:
https://www.dyslexiefont.com/en/typeface/
https://www.dyslexia-reading-well.com/d ... -font.html
https://blog.dyslexia.com/good-fonts-fo ... tal-study/

The Wonderlic is a timed test. I've taken sample versions of it, just to get a feel for it, and I score decently, say the tier below Ryan Fitzpatrick and Pat McInally, in the tier with Eli, Aaron, and Tom, but my score can easily vary 5 points based on my state of mind at the time. In an alternate life, that may have helped me qualify for a position breaking down film as a QA coaching assistant, but that's about it.

My feeling is that the Wonderlic is a valid instrument, with its own limitations, just like a 40 time, but only to show if additional scrutiny is needed, not an end in itself. High scores guarantee nothing. Unusually low scores indicate a need for understanding why the player scored so low. Learning disabilities? Dyslexia? NFL football players need to be SMART, and to digest and process and analyze a lot of information quickly. The Wonderlic measures that in a paper-based exercise, which absolutely has limitations in translation to a real-life high-speed physical setting of an NFL game.

From: https://www.courier-journal.com/story/s ... 481414002/
"New York Giants general manager George Young once told the Philadelphia Daily News a low Wonderlic score would cause him to look more closely, talking to coaches, examining school records and possibly using alternative tests to assess a player's ability to learn."

I recall Pete Carroll talking in the past about dealing with players with learning disabilities, and realizing when a player has that, and then finding ways of giving those players support and accommodations they need, to take in and process information at an NFL level.

As all this applies to Geno Smith, his poor judgment in dealing with the DE who broke his jaw is a much bigger concern than his Wonderlic. What has he learned? Has he developed the character to be a team leader if the 'Hawks need him to step in for a few games if Russell is unavailable? Does his overall story show that he is teachable, resilient, and has the potential to learn from Russell's example?

Paxton Lynch has his own set of question marks, on his study and work habits. Topic for a different day and thread.

Will either one be of any use in the QB meeting room, with Russell, reviewing film, studying opponents, helping the coaches develop game plans? I'm hoping that's the biggest assignment our QB2 has.