Hawks give Jared Allen a contract offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laloosh

Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I feel like it's pretty absurd that a deal hadn't been nailed down before he even flew out. Wonder if his wife's hawk blocking him...

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Couldn't of came in on a nicer day. Its beautiful out today.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CANHawk":bq92iy32 said:
Missing_Clink":bq92iy32 said:
For the life of me I cannot understand why he'd fly out a second time (with his wife) if they weren't 95%+ of the way there for a contract. Makes no sense. I really want to know what happened

This is huge. Buddy of mine used to be a car salesman. He always said he went straight to the guys who were there with their wives because THEY were the ones who were ready to buy. Once wifey signs off, they're clear to proceed with making a deal. So if wifey came and checked out the town etc, we're probably in pretty good shape...
I agree you don't bring your wife along unless you're making sure she's signed off on the situation.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Jared Allen came out here to sign a contract and didn't. I doubt this deal gets done.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
A London Hawk":28r04x3y said:
If he's off the mindset where he'd be ok with retiring, his family being happy with the move sounds like an important part of the decision making. He's clearly not going to get the money he reputedly wanted so weighing the chances of winning an SB verses uprooting his family is a thing, even if we wish it wasn't.

Hopefully the fact that we flew his wife out here with him will be seen as a point in our favor.

Bottom line: we have no idea what's going on in his head right now. We have no idea why he didn't sign here today. Anything is possible at this stage.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And the world will continue, and the team will still be the best in football, with or without him.
Just prefer it's WITH him :)

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Throwdown":3fmusg1d said:
Oh well, didn't care if he came or went.
I'm with you on this. Great if he comes no biggie if he doesn't. I don't want to overspend for him especially after just locking up Bennet. This team will be fine without him, and possibly better with, but it isn't a deal breaker either way.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Allen is getting a reality check. That's why he's got to think about it. He's not ever gonna get what he thinks he's worth. The market will set the price. I'm good either way. If he does, great. If he doesn't? Bring on the draft and he becomes a memory.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Just say no Jared. You're worth a lot more than they are offering in Seattle.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Greenhell":xo2uk1rc said:
Allen is getting a reality check. That's why he's got to think about it. He's not ever gonna get what he thinks he's worth. The market will set the price. I'm good either way. If he does, great. If he doesn't? Bring on the draft and he becomes a memory.

This is pretty much where I sit on this issue.

I think Allen brings a lot of talent and would make our pass rush better, but I don't think it's a must sign type of thing. I believe we could go into the season with the players we have and still be a top tier defense. I would love to see what they could all do together with Allen on the team, but if he can't bring himself to play for what we are offering, then I'm perfectly happy moving forward and seeing what else we can do through the draft and our own young guys.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3hlis506 said:
seahawk12thman":3hlis506 said:
Jared Allen came out here to sign a contract and didn't. I doubt this deal gets done.

This is how I see it going now.
Of course it is.

I think the poster who said that Allen is getting a reality check is right. He's not going to get an offer close to what he thinks he is worth. And it's not going to be easy for a prideful guy like him to acknowledge it.

I see his return home as him doing two things. One, providing a final day or two for any other teams that wasn't to make an offer to do so. And two, if no other better offers come in, to decide if the lesser deal is preferable to retirement. We have no idea if he or his wife have been considering whether he should retire while he is still in relatively great health.

Honestly, I don't see another team leaping in at this point with a fabulous offer.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
kidhawk":2otk0kvo said:
Greenhell":2otk0kvo said:

This is pretty much where I sit on this issue.

I think Allen brings a lot of talent and would make our pass rush better, but I don't think it's a must sign type of thing. I believe we could go into the season with the players we have and still be a top tier defense. I would love to see what they could all do together with Allen on the team, but if he can't bring himself to play for what we are offering, then I'm perfectly happy moving forward and seeing what else we can do through the draft and our own young guys.

I kind of thought this until they pursued allen. He is a great player but to my understanding, we have some awesome talent on the d-line. We cut Red Bryant and didn't even attempt to "restructure". That must mean they are satisfied with the progress of either Williams or Scruggs. If Mayowa can add some size and strength without compromising speed and quickness you have your next Jared Allen. I thought Hill coud replace McDonald and amass 5 sacks or more, I thought we were fine, till we attempted to sign Allen!!

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":25y2x3nl said:
That must mean they are satisfied with the progress of either Williams or Scruggs.

It's difficult to progress when you're recovering from an ACL injury (Scruggs) or trying to save your career (Williams).

Status
Not open for further replies.