Hawks interested in bring back Rubin

Madrid Hawk

Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but didn't he cause a key fumble in the Minnesota icebowl/Blair Walsh shank playoff game?

If so, then that's the one thing I remember about him.

ivotuk

Reaction score
He chased down everything. Dude could run!

That's a great video. "I'm not going to put Carolina in with that great Seattle Defense."

pehawk

Reaction score
The more snaps they can give Reed on 3rd and long the better. If Rubin can take a few of those 1st and 10 snaps it's worth it.

McGruff

Reaction score
Moves like this usually mean the staff is disappointed in the performance of the current roster at the position.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Bring him back. Jake Heaps said he was the hardest working DT he's ever played with, both in practice and in games.

knownone

Reaction score
I'd be all for bringing back Tuba. He was a mountain of a man and one of the reasons our run defense was so dominant a few years back.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
They have a lot of bodies at DT now. They were thin there at the end of last season. This speaks a lot to Quinton Jefferson and Naz Jones' chances of making the team. They need to beef up the DL since the secondary is a big question mark at this point.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2k3mvb9n said:
He wasn't terrible but not great. Guess he could add some depth

He was a run stuffing, space eating DT. He played that role extremely well. He was never meant to be a sack guy.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I remember him intercepting a Roethlisberger spike. That was pretty awesome. I'd be all for bringing him back, the question is, does he want to come back? From what I recall, he had some things to say when Seattle let him go.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2bqeyem1 said:
They have a lot of bodies at DT now. They were thin there at the end of last season. This speaks a lot to Quinton Jefferson and Naz Jones' chances of making the team. They need to beef up the DL since the secondary is a big question mark at this point.

Naz flashed for a minute, Jefferson well he is what a 5 year vet now I'm pretty sure we know what we got with him and thats a decent backup. Rubin was a decent starter. I'd would much rather have a decent starter paying backup than decent back up playing starter.

McGruff

Reaction score
I just know that if we are talking to Rubin now it is because the guys we hoped would step up, didnt. And that's a bummer.

MB12

Reaction score
The lack of a decent 1 tech last year was huge. As long as there is no repeat of Shamar Stephen taking significant reps, I'm happy. Stephen was ABYSMAL and received significant reps.

MB12

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2843miwn said:

You need to separate the defensive tackle position in to types.

Jefferson and Naz Jones are more 3/5 technique types, lining up on the outside shoulder of the guard or as a big end.

Rubin is more of a 1/3 technique type, a plug-and-play run defender who lines up at nose and sometimes on the outside shoulder of the guard.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":3v8ptfpp said:
Moves like this usually mean the staff is disappointed in the performance of the current roster at the position.

Exactly!

It could also mean they aren’t sure what they have with this group. There are certainly a lot of questions surrounding the DLine.

Adding Rubin to the pile at DT brings a known quantity to the group, immediately the level of competition increases.

Pete has indicated he wants to be improved against the run this season and this is a way to improve the overall strength of the group or if nothing else provide a measuring stick for the strength of the group. He was a reliable player when here before and was released as another fallout from the McDoowell/ Richardson mess.

Is ‘Tuba’ better than any of the group already here, time will tell. The team though enough of him in the past to give him a 3 year deal, but then upon releasing him ate two years of his dead money. He’s apparently healthy and a good run stuffer. I like this potential move.

Latest posts